Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

My dad went through the same thing as both a teacher and football coach.  Glad you were able to make the change.  Even during coaching season when he got back into shape and weight under control, there were still some bad meals but the mindset change will help keep you on track the rest of the year.  

Its tough. Basketball season is a killer, late nights and always stopping at fast food joints for the kids. It's just hard to keep up with a good diet when you're never home.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 12:56 PM, project T.O said:

Man leg days have been an absolute killer since getting back to the gym. I feel close to death after and am sore for days. 

Pull back for a few weeks and ease back in.

Going nuts out of the gate doesn’t do much but make you sore, take longer to recover and increase chances of injury.

Do enough to stimulate the muscles and then recover.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  Since you’ve had a lay-off, it takes less to stimulate the muscles than it did when you were conditioned to it.

9 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Pull back for a few weeks and ease back in.

Going nuts out of the gate doesn’t do much but make you sore, take longer to recover and increase chances of injury.

Do enough to stimulate the muscles and then recover.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  Since you’ve had a lay-off, it takes less to stimulate the muscles than it did when you were conditioned to it.

Legit dialed my workouts back from what they were before shutdown. The recovery time has cut down significantly. Day after I posted that no real doms. 
  Solid workout today. Traps are a bit sore, but not too concerned. Just feels good to be back in the gym. 

• Like 1

Just had BF% read for the first time. Usually just estimated based off what 'experts' say, like '10% is where you see your abs' etc. I'm a relatively big guy, heavy for my height, but muscular and can only really see outline of top abs, big back and legs, but not much definition apart from arms really. So I guessed around 17-18%

HA! Wrong!

Always OVERESTIMATE your bf% if you're looking at calorie calculators, chaps. 24% checking in! That did surprise me, I mean that's obese levels, and I have a BIT of definition ffs. Unless the scales are wrong lol.

Edited by Hunter2_1

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Just had BF% read for the first time. Usually just estimated based off what 'experts' say, like '10% is where you see your abs' etc. I'm a relatively big guy, heavy for my height, but muscular and can only really see outline of top abs, big back and legs, but not much definition apart from arms really. So I guessed around 17-18%

HA! Wrong!

Always OVERESTIMATE your bf% if you're looking at calorie calculators, chaps. 24% checking in! That did surprise me, I mean that's obese levels, and I have a BIT of definition ffs. Unless the scales are wrong lol.

How did they test it?

On 7/7/2020 at 8:54 AM, jetsfan4life51 said:

I've seen those range 5% throughout the day depending on hydration and glycogen.

This for sure. for a while I went to a gym that had three of those. I would use all three and average them because they'd all be different. I don't do competitions or anything of that sort, so getting a rough estimate was good enough for me to track progress.

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

This for sure. for a while I went to a gym that had three of those. I would use all three and average them because they'd all be different. I don't do competitions or anything of that sort, so getting a rough estimate was good enough for me to track progress.

If you take a dump it changesxD

And then depending on the setting some have "athlete" IDK what that means compared to a normal profile but even just switching the settings changes the body fat. It's very frustrating. My Tanita I have but only use because of COVID had me range over 5% the first day I used it, as the day went on and I drank more water I got leaner.

What kind of impact could I expect if I significantly dropped the weight of my lifts and focused on time between sets?

I have a bad habit of getting distracted between sets and I can go as long as 10 minutes between sets (but probably averaging 2-4 minutes), so what kind of impact would I see if I focused on time between sets? 

If any. 

Edited by Outpost31