Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

11 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

What kind of impact could I expect if I significantly dropped the weight of my lifts and focused on time between sets?

I have a bad habit of getting distracted between sets and I can go as long as 10 minutes between sets (but probably averaging 2-4 minutes), so what kind of impact would I see if I focused on time between sets? 

If any. 

10 minutes is pretty wild, even if you're going for doubles an singles.  Even 4 minutes is substantial.  Dropping your rest time is going to increase your heart rate, and keep it elevated during the duration of your workout, unless you're taking those long breaks between exercises, too.  You'll feel weaker on sets after your first than you would currently.  Might feel winded, the first few workouts.  You will burn more calories.  I wouldn't go over 2 minutes, unless you're working closer to your lower rep maxes.  I try to stay between 30-90 seconds, outside of big compound movements, where I'll take a little more time.  10 minutes would make me almost stiff, I feel.  I'd probably want to leave the gym lol.  I hate when people try to have small talk, or full conversations when I'm at the gym, because of it.   

2 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

10 minutes is pretty wild, even if you're going for doubles an singles.  Even 4 minutes is substantial.  Dropping your rest time is going to increase your heart rate, and keep it elevated during the duration of your workout, unless you're taking those long breaks between exercises, too.  You'll feel weaker on sets after your first than you would currently.  Might feel winded, the first few workouts.  You will burn more calories.  I wouldn't go over 2 minutes, unless you're working closer to your lower rep maxes.  I try to stay between 30-90 seconds, outside of big compound movements, where I'll take a little more time.  10 minutes would make me almost stiff, I feel.  I'd probably want to leave the gym lol.  I hate when people try to have small talk, or full conversations when I'm at the gym, because of it.   

I workout at home and that’s probably why.  I get distracted, so it’s something I really want to focus on.  Didn’t have this problem when I worked out in my garage, so I’ll probably just make it a point of emphasis and remove the laptop and lock myself in my workout room so to speak.

17 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I workout at home and that’s probably why.  I get distracted, so it’s something I really want to focus on.  Didn’t have this problem when I worked out in my garage, so I’ll probably just make it a point of emphasis and remove the laptop and lock myself in my workout room so to speak.

10 mins is way too much!! You may even get weaker because of that.  Keep a timer or stop watch that's the easiest.

I've plateaued on my bench lately. Pretty sure my Anterior Delts are the limiting factor. What exercises do you guys recommend for that, and would I be focusing on them, treating them as the chest group, or the shoulder group?

3 hours ago, Danger said:

I've plateaued on my bench lately. Pretty sure my Anterior Delts are the limiting factor. What exercises do you guys recommend for that, and would I be focusing on them, treating them as the chest group, or the shoulder group?

Not saying you are wrong, just never heard of someone's anterior delts as the limiting factor. What makes you say that?

1 minute ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Not saying you are wrong, just never heard of someone's anterior delts as the limiting factor. What makes you say that?

Well looked it up on Youtube. I get stuck at the midpoint of the rep, and my chest is usually not even fatigued...

Never specifically targeted the anterior delts before.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Well looked it up on Youtube. I get stuck at the midpoint of the rep, and my chest is usually not even fatigued...

Never specifically targeted the anterior delts before.

Sounds more like triceps.  I would work on more close grip, chains and/or pin presses from your sticking point.

15 hours ago, Danger said:

You can target them as either.  I would target them as both, if I felt like it was a weak spot.  I haven't heard of them really limiting a flat bench, like that.  Normally, it's going to be triceps, or even forearms or lats, if the chest isn't being fatigued.  It sounds like you're getting out of the hole fine, so I would imagine your lat engagement isn't the issue.  If you wanted more of a load on your front delts, I would be doing heavy incline on my chest day, military or overhead press, on my shoulder day, if you have them separate, for your splits.  Most people you see in the gym are front delt dominant, though.  The rear delt is the one you typically see that needs targeted.   

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 9:30 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

I begun the OMAD diet today. Have done a lot of research and want to give it a try. Never done a true diet/fast like this before so fingers crossed I enjoy it and see results.

I'm starting something similar, it's going to be a Carnivore Warrior diet so 20 hour fasts with a 4 hour window and eating carnivore style.  Then after 10-14 days I will be adding in rice and potatoes to my meal.  Haven't decided if I'm going to do one big meal or two meals within that 4 hour window.  If I do one big meal then it will basically be doing 24 hour fasts and I don't like going that long. Might just see how my appetite is.

Since July 5th I have been sticking religiously to:

*No more than 90 seconds between sets.
*Hard keto diet (under 50 carbs per day, more often under than 40).

And a workout routine of:

Monday - Shoulders/Chest
Tuesday - Biceps/Triceps/Forearms
Wednesday - Back/Lats
Thursday - Shoulders/Chest
Friday - Biceps/Triceps/Forearms
Saturday - Legs/Core
Sunday - Off

4x8, 3x12, 2x15 for each muscle.

My ab muscles are visible again.  First time since I was 27 years old 5 years ago. 

Lifting weights haven't moved much though.

• Like 1