Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

On 9/7/2020 at 6:12 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

@LETSGOBROWNIES You more than most are very realistic when it comes to hypertrophy; in that it takes years to put on quality muscle. And I agree with you. So, what do you think the following is;

Throughout lockdown I thought I was doing enough to keep my muscle on, but it turns out every day of looking in mirror, it clouded that judgement and I had lost a decent amount of size. The gyms here have been open for about 4 weeks now, and I seem to have packed a lot of (if not all) of it back on. I assume this is the ol 'muscle memory', but it can only be the enlarging of muscle fibres right. So, what is going on here? I have rebuilt muscle size in 4 weeks? That's impossible though...

* I eat around maintenance 

You more than likely kept the same amount of nuclei/fibers in your muscle and they just shrunk, along with less fluid/glycogen/nutrients in the cell because you were not using them how you were pre-lockdown.  Now that you are back at it your muscle fibers have hypertrophied back to normal size and you are probably holding more fluid/glycogen/nutrients in the cells as well.  Totally possible to do.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

Any tips for pushups? Anything please.

Do more.

Prior to basic training I could maybe do 10-20 in a minute. Afterwards I could do 40-55 in a min. The key is just to keep doing them. Do 10 or 15 or 20 or whatever sporadically throughout the day. Your pushup workout doesn't have to be all at once, spread it out. You'll be able to do more as time goes on. After 8-ish weeks we'd do a pain train, diamond workout of pushups (plus 3 other bodyweight exercises). We'd do sets of 1, sets of 2, sets of 3, etc up to 10 then back down to 1. Ended up being 100ish total of each move (don't feel like doing the math). This was in a 10-ish min time frame (honestly felt like forever and I don't know the exact time. I mean, the walls were literally dripping with condensation with 40ish guys in there, no joke). That won't happen overnight but if you just keep doing it and keep adding as you can, you'll get there.

For real, if just being able to do more pushups is your goal, do more but spread out throughout the day. Just do more. If your goal is muscle building for aesthetics or practical strength, I suggest weights. If they aren't available then that's a different discussion.

6 hours ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

Really dumb question, so I apologize.

I do 40 push ups a night. But it’s 10 then a short break, 10 then a short break, etc...

Is there a lesser effect on gaining muscle doing it that way rather than 40 straight with no breaks?

Any tips for pushups? Anything please.

I'm not positive, but I feel like the shorter amount of time you complete them, the better. For burnouts at the end of a work out, I usually do 50 pushups where I go until failure, take two deep breathes, and then start again until I finish the 50. 

On 9/11/2020 at 10:03 AM, Tyronnosaurus said:

Thanks guys. I’m going to add weights. We have a gym in our development.

One more thing, are pushups best for chest flattening and muscle building in that area? And maybe like bench press?

Best for building will be increasing weight and/or reps.  Easier to do with bench and DBs.

Best for flattening is diet and sleep.

On 9/11/2020 at 10:03 AM, Tyronnosaurus said:

One more thing, are pushups best for chest flattening and muscle building in that area? And maybe like bench press?

The heavier the resistance, the thicker/denser your muscle fibers become. So going heavier on the bench would be suggested, if that's your goal.

To become more voluminous (bigger), cut the resistance back (do pushups/lighter bench) and do lots of reps. 

It's suggested to do both of these in your scheme for a more complete effect. Maybe a heavy bench once per week and a lot of pushups once per week.

On 9/14/2020 at 2:01 PM, Tetsujin said:

The heavier the resistance, the thicker/denser your muscle fibers become. So going heavier on the bench would be suggested, if that's your goal.

To become more voluminous (bigger), cut the resistance back (do pushups/lighter bench) and do lots of reps. 

It's suggested to do both of these in your scheme for a more complete effect. Maybe a heavy bench once per week and a lot of pushups once per week.

The best way I've found to do it is 3-4 week phases alternating between "strength" and "hypertrophy."

But if you want to catch up a lagging body part I love the Frank Zane method:

Day 1- 8 x 3-5 

Day 2- 6 x 6-8 then in the B-series I like to add in drop sets

Day 3- Giant Sets

I did this for arms and I felt like I added inches in just 3 days.  Unreal pump by Day 3

4 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

The best way I've found to do it is 3-4 week phases alternating between "strength" and "hypertrophy."

But if you want to catch up a lagging body part I love the Frank Zane method:

Luckily I'm a super easy gainer and have never needed any type of sophisticated program.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to pitch some supplements"

1) Carbolin 19 by Biotest 

This is a suped-up Forskolin supplement. It's amazing in its ability to keep your muscle density and improve strength, especially when dieting. I can't recommend it enough. I've used it a LOT over the years. I also like Biotest's pharamceutical grade fishoil with high DHA, and their chelated mineral supplement. They're on the pricier side, but worth it.

2) Athlean-X's muscle building stack

4 supplements in this: Pre-workout, BCAAs, protein, and bedtime amino acid mix. I know Jeff got busted for fake weights awhile back. It's disappointing but doesn't ruin his legitimacy, IMO. Just a bad decision by him. His physique and education speak for themselves.

I haven't looked into Biotest a ton but I think the only thing I'd really go for is the Fish Oil.  I hope the products are pharmaceutical grade.  That's a bold claim.

The only supplements I use are Nutridyn, Designs for Health and ATP Labs. They are actually pharmaceutical grade, designed by functional nutrition/medicine doctors and have rigorous testing.  Many brands claim they do but are false.

24 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Anyone have any recommendations for a daily multivitamin for a 34 year old? @LETSGOBROWNIES any suggestions? Something to help me get some vitamins/minerals in my system, any deficiencies that I have, etc.

I take either Flintstones or Kroger gummy vitamins.  🤷‍♂️ 

Add some vitamin D and magnesium and call it good.  Don’t spend money on multi’s imo.