Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

8 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I take Men's One A Day on most days. I tend to forget.

Yup - I get the generic Sam's Club stuff, but same. I have it on my night stand with a bottle of water, so it's the first thing I take in the AM. 

I've also supplemented with Fish Oil caps as well as Niacin to help with heart health (these are things you start doing at 40). I was on a steady regimen of Osteo Bi Flex for my knees, and they've really done a good job for me, I'm pain free in my knees.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Ok, I’ll bite.

Are there not vitamins in those?  

The FDA does not regulate gummy vitamins. They are made from sugar/processed, don't contain proper amounts/active forms.  It's a cheap way to sell people who don't like pills and who have kids.  But even a Centrum or Men's One a Day isn't great.  Inactive forms, binders, fillers, not proper amounts to make a difference and they use the rejected batches from other companies.  Most vitamins are made cheap to sell more and profit, not to actually help.  Most fish oil is contaminated and contains heavy metals.

EDIT- then you have companies like Shakeology that have 12.5 mcg of lead in their shakes (which is the MAX dose per day for adults) and Herbalife who have had customers die from fatal liver damage.  Not saying that Flintstones will kill you but most people taking supplements are either doing long term damage or making their piss more expensive.  

Edited by jetsfan4life51

3 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

The FDA does not regulate gummy vitamins. They are made from sugar/processed, don't contain proper amounts/active forms.  It's a cheap way to sell people who don't like pills and who have kids.  But even a Centrum or Men's One a Day isn't great.  Inactive forms, binders, fillers, not proper amounts to make a difference and they use the rejected batches from other companies.  Most vitamins are made cheap to sell more and profit, not to actually help.  Most fish oil is contaminated and contains heavy metals.

EDIT- then you have companies like Shakeology that have 12.5 mcg of lead in their shakes (which is the MAX dose per day for adults) and Herbalife who have had customers die from fatal liver damage.  Not saying that Flintstones will kill you but most people taking supplements are either doing long term damage or making their piss more expensive.  

Ah ok, I though you were saying we need to buy “the good stuff”.  

I generally agree with 99% of this, but a Flintstone is cheap insurance and the 2 carbs and whatever else has been ingested by small children for decades isn’t going to harm my full grown arse.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Ah ok, I though you were saying we need to buy “the good stuff”.  

I generally agree with 99% of this, but a Flintstone is cheap insurance and the 2 carbs and whatever else has been ingested by small children for decades isn’t going to harm my full grown arse.

If you are buying then you might as well buy the good stuff.  And the good stuff does not mean you need a second job to afford it.  But it's like food, you want to put quality into your body.  The 2 carbs aren't going to affect you but I wouldn't call it cheap insurance.  I believe most of the vitamins are the inactive forms combined with artificial flavors and coloring.  Not saying you will die, just saying you're probably not getting anything by taking them.

Anyone got any recommendations for a good adjustable weight bench?  I've been slowly building a home gym and this is one of the few remaining pieces I need for the time being.  Ideally looking for something less than $200.  I've searched all over Amazon, but you can't trust most of those reviews.

16 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Anyone got any recommendations for a good adjustable weight bench?  I've been slowly building a home gym and this is one of the few remaining pieces I need for the time being.  Ideally looking for something less than $200.  I've searched all over Amazon, but you can't trust most of those reviews.

I've bought a lot of home benches in the past.  Probably 10 of them in the past 12 years.  First, don't EVER fall for the add-ons.  The chest flye add ons, the leg curl add-ons, the pulley system add-ons (this one was the latest I fell for). 

They're all ****. 

Second, look at the bar that adjusts from decline to flat to incline.  If that thing looks too thin, it's too thin.  I'm going to be needing to get a new bench because of that very reason (and because my dog kinda ate the seat).  It's starting to bend, and that doesn't make me feel very safe.

Third, look at the weight limits.  Believe the weight limits.  Trust me on this one.  I almost died once by not listening to the weight limits. 

Fourth, make sure it's wide enough to actually do a bench press. 

Fifth, extend your budget.  I've gone with those under 200 ones for 12 years and they last about a year each.  They're crap.  They've always been crap, and I always go with crap bench presses.  I would have likely saved 1,000 dollars over the past 10 years if I just got a nice 300-500 dollar bench press. 

Just get a simple bench press with an easily adjustable flat and incline.  Decline if you want it, but I personally never use the decline option for anything. 

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 4:43 PM, jetsfan4life51 said:

If you are buying then you might as well buy the good stuff.  And the good stuff does not mean you need a second job to afford it.  But it's like food, you want to put quality into your body.  The 2 carbs aren't going to affect you but I wouldn't call it cheap insurance.  I believe most of the vitamins are the inactive forms combined with artificial flavors and coloring.  Not saying you will die, just saying you're probably not getting anything by taking them.

So what do you recommend?

On 9/27/2020 at 11:24 AM, Tetsujin said:

I have to pitch some supplements"

1) Carbolin 19 by Biotest 

This is a suped-up Forskolin supplement. It's amazing in its ability to keep your muscle density and improve strength, especially when dieting. I can't recommend it enough. I've used it a LOT over the years. I also like Biotest's pharamceutical grade fishoil with high DHA, and their chelated mineral supplement. They're on the pricier side, but worth it.

2) Athlean-X's muscle building stack

4 supplements in this: Pre-workout, BCAAs, protein, and bedtime amino acid mix. I know Jeff got busted for fake weights awhile back. It's disappointing but doesn't ruin his legitimacy, IMO. Just a bad decision by him. His physique and education speak for themselves.

BCAA’s seem like a waste if you’re getting complete proteins. 

I like Jeff too. Guy has great knowledge on muscle anatomy and doesn’t just pull stuff out of his *** or follow fitness fads. Just because he’s not pulling 1200 pounds like the mountain or something doesn’t really take away from his credibility. 

I take vitamin d, magnesium, some pre workout, and creatine. And of course some protein ( mainly chug down a casein protein shake before bed). 

Anyone have any good recommendations on lifting/ fitness podcasts? Right now I only really listen to defrancos ( which I highly recommend, though he does go on tangents). 

9 hours ago, project T.O said:

BCAA’s seem like a waste if you’re getting complete proteins. 

I like them intraworkout as I think they taste good and have some caffeine.

I like Jeff too. Guy has great knowledge on muscle anatomy and doesn’t just pull stuff out of his *** or follow fitness fads. Just because he’s not pulling 1200 pounds like the mountain or something doesn’t really take away from his credibility. 

He’s informative but a definite fake natty