Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

14 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for pull up bars? My house is kind of a crapper, so I'm worried about pulling door frames down. 

I'd recommend a pull up/dip stand. It's worth the extra money and you can usually find them cheaper used on like Facebook Marketplace.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 5:23 AM, JonStark said:

I'd recommend a pull up/dip stand. It's worth the extra money and you can usually find them cheaper used on like Facebook Marketplace.

On 10/14/2020 at 2:45 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for pull up bars? My house is kind of a crapper, so I'm worried about pulling door frames down. 

I got this a few weeks ago.

So far I’m loving it.  I’m waiting on a bench to be delivered so that i can use it for bench press too.  The only thing i dont like about it is that i don’t feel totally comfortable on the dip bars.  I’m afraid the handles could snap one day, sending my knees crashing into a concrete floor.  But everything else seems real sturdy and it was relatively easy to put together.

9 hours ago, CBears019 said:

So far I’m loving it.  I’m waiting on a bench to be delivered so that i can use it for bench press too.  The only thing i dont like about it is that i don’t feel totally comfortable on the dip bars.  I’m afraid the handles could snap one day, sending my knees crashing into a concrete floor.  But everything else seems real sturdy and it was relatively easy to put together.

The one I bought on Martketplace was a little flimsy, but after I tightened all the bolts it was much sturdier,

On 10/17/2020 at 9:39 PM, CBears019 said:

Funny, I just bought something very similar from Amazon.ca. Throughout covid I've started building a home gym and I've accumulated a good chunk of weights, bench press, preacher curl, adjustable bench and now power rack. Stuff isn't cheap but will pay for itself down the road. 

I wish Canada had as many options for fitness stuff as the US. Looks like you got one hell of a deal for that cage. I got my for around $460 CAN and it doesn't come with any. attachments. Still stoked for it to arrive.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Funny, I just bought something very similar from Amazon.ca. Throughout covid I've started building a home gym and I've accumulated a good chunk of weights, bench press, preacher curl, adjustable bench and now power rack. Stuff isn't cheap but will pay for itself down the road. 

I wish Canada had as many options for fitness stuff as the US. Looks like you got one hell of a deal for that cage. I got my for around $460 CAN and it doesn't come with any. attachments. Still stoked for it to arrive.

Yeah I’ve been doing the same thing.  It does cost a bit to get all the equipment, but it is so much easier for me to stick to a strict workout routine when all i have to do is go to my basement.

• Like 1

One thing I've never really done a lot of is doing a couple sets to failure.  I always set my sets and reps and then just add weight instead of adding reps.  I've also had a wonky schedule the last few weeks, so I've been spreading my rest days out and extending my workout days since I had only been on 4 days a week working out. 

Noticed a bit less definition and a bit more fat than I want, so I'm planning on hitting weights really hard and not really setting a diet plan except making sure I'm getting a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight each day (with a .25 gram margin of error). 

Going to do a six day split with Sundays my only rest days. 

My workout will be:

Monday:
Chest 5x5
Triceps 5x5
Biceps 5x5
Abs
Chest 3x12
Triceps 3x12
Biceps 3x12
Abs

Tuesday:
Shoulders 5x5
Forearms 5x5
Mid back 5x5
Legs 5x5
Lats 5x5
Traps 5x5
Shoulders 3x12
Forearms 3x12
Lower back 3x12 (Got a hernia so lower back is just gonna have to deal with no heavy weights)
Legs 3x12

Wednesday:
Chest/Triceps/Biceps 4x8
Abs
Chest/Triceps/Biceps 3x15
Abs

Thursday:
Shoulders/Forearms/Lower Back/Legs/Lats/Traps 4x8
Shoulders/Forearms/Mid back/Legs 3x15

Friday:
Chest/Triceps/Biceps 3x15
Abs
Chest/Triceps/Biceps 2xfailure
Abs

Saturday:
Shoulders/Forearms/Lower Back/Legs/Lats/Traps 3x15
Shoulders/Forearms/Mid back/Legs 2xfaillure

Squats are pretty difficult for me now due to the hernia, too.  I can do leg presses, leg curls, bodyweight squats, heel kicks, lunges, etc with low weights, but i can't really add weight to my squats, which is why I've been holding back on leg days. 

I got this Gold's Gym XRS 50 model home gym added to my equipment and it's decent for leg presses and standing alternating leg curls, also decent enough for volume lat pulldowns until I'm able to add more weight to it.  Couple other workouts it's good for volume and high rep workouts.

For chest it'll be bench press, decline dumbbell press, push-ups to failure, incline chest flyes.
For biceps it'll be incline hammer curl, hammer curl, concentration curls, preacher curls, barbell curls and Zottman curls.
For triceps it'll be close-grip bench press, triceps extension, triceps pressdown and kickbacks.
For shoulders it'll be palms-in dumbbell press, military press, front/side lifts, Arnold Press.
For lats I'm limited to close/wide grip pulldowns until I get a bar.
For traps it'll be upright rows and shrugs.
For lower back it'll be low weight high rep deadlifts and that sitting lower back extension row thing.  Mid back will be dumbbell rows and sitting cable rows. 
Forearms I'll be doing palms up/palms down curls, Farmer's Walks up/down my stairs, wrist roller and grip crushers.  I'm very self conscious about my forearms. 

I know that looks like a lot of volume, but I only have the second workout on there in case I feel I didn't hit the muscle group hard enough on the first one and in case I wasn't satisfied with what weight I was able to hit all the reps at. 

Edited by Outpost31

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Noticed a bit less definition and a bit more fat than I want, so I'm planning on hitting weights really hard and not really setting a diet plan except making sure I'm getting a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight each day (with a .25 gram margin of error). 

One of those is directly leading to the other.  That's a ton of protein.  Twice what you would even want to be targeting, and if you're not caring about your diet, besides getting that much protein, it would be pretty safe to assume you are taking in a lot of excess calories to hit that mark.

Just now, OkeyDoke21 said:

One of those is directly leading to the other.  That's a ton of protein.  Twice what you would even want to be targeting, and if you're not caring about your diet, besides getting that much protein, it would be pretty safe to assume you are taking in a lot of excess calories to hit that mark.

Eh, I respectfully disagree.  I end each day closer to 150 than 200 (I'm about 190-200). 

I've never been able to consistently improve on my previous workout unless I shoot for that 1 gram per day, and it is INCREDIBLY easy for me to lose weight.  Like extremely easy.  So easy I don't know how anyone could possibly weigh over 200 pounds because I sometimes have to gag down meals to get to my targeted protein amounts.  If I settled for 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight I'm pretty certain I would be at 180 in no time at all.  That half gram of protein target probably works great for most people, but I know for a fact it is not enough for me and for what I want to accomplish.  I mean yeah, if I drop to half a gram I'll look shredded AF, but I'll also look scrawny at about 6 foot, 180.  My goal is to get to the 210-220 range and be at under 20% body fat.  Right now I'm probably closer to 25% body fat than 20%. 

My issue isn't getting that much protein, my issue is after work right before sleep snacking.  I get home and I snack until I fall asleep.  I also drink until I fall asleep.  When I'm on beer and carb based snacks, that's when the fat comes in.  When I'm on vodka and sparkling water (or tequila, whiskey, whatever) and seeds/nuts/no snacking, I don't have that issue. 

8 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Why is 1g/lb of body weight twice of what he should be hitting?

3 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Been going lifting for nearly 4 years now, I have been doing the bro split entire time. Anything wrong with that? 

I like changing my routine at least every 2 months otherwise I feel I plateau on a lot of lifts.  Different split, different workouts, different reps/sets. 

10 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Why is 1g/lb of body weight twice of what he should be hitting?

1g per kg to 1g per lb of lbm.  Just straight 1g per lb of bodyweight where you are not only doing barely any lower body compound movement, but also not focusing on your diet, outside of hitting that number is beyond excess.  That's a great recipe for adding weight you aren't necessarily trying to add.  It isn't going to hurt his muscle development, or anything, but it's going to hurt his waist line, and the "definition" he is talking about losing.  If you're eating that amount of protein, you should have the rest of your diet dialed in, and your workout regimen should be something that your muscle growth will actually benefit from that level of protein.   It's the kind of stuff you hear in a gym, from a guy that read an article from a supplement company.  That just doesn't seem very wise for someone saying they're around 25% bf, who isn't training for power. 

I very well could be projecting what I see with the athletes I've worked with over the years, but most of them doing that are just eating junk, and pounding shakes to hit these numbers they don't need, not realizing  how many calories they're taking in to do it.  I keep picturing someone eating an entire baking sheet of fish sticks, because of the protein, haha. 

Edited by OkeyDoke21