Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

Additionally I find the claim that more protein = more fat is very much wrong for the simple fact of the thermic effect. It typically takes a lot more energy to digest protein (15-30% of caloric intake) compared to that of Carbs (5-10%) and Fats (0-3%)

Your body will get less energy to store and overconsume from protein than it will on Carbs fats. 

Obviously if someone is eating buckets of fried chicken for their protein in stead of lean protein then that's a problem, but it's because of the fats/bad carbs rather than the protein itself.

I'm typically at 1-1.1g/lb protein, 0.3 g/lb fat, and the remainder is carbs.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 12:11 PM, Danger said:

Additionally I find the claim that more protein = more fat is very much wrong for the simple fact of the thermic effect. It typically takes a lot more energy to digest protein (15-30% of caloric intake) compared to that of Carbs (5-10%) and Fats (0-3%)

Your body will get less energy to store and overconsume from protein than it will on Carbs fats. 

Obviously if someone is eating buckets of fried chicken for their protein in stead of lean protein then that's a problem, but it's because of the fats/bad carbs rather than the protein itself.

I'm typically at 1-1.1g/lb protein, 0.3 g/lb fat, and the remainder is carbs.

Luckily that claim wasn't made.  More calories are going to equal more stored fat.  More calories, by way of chasing high protein intake, without a diet plan or a workout to put your TDEE above the caloric intake likely to come with said undisciplined diet.  This has been taken completely out of context, at this point, lol.  Counters are being made to points that were never meant and/or said.  I have been reminded why I quit conversing in this thread a few years ago.  Enjoy guys, and best of luck to Outpost, with the plan.  

Edited by OkeyDoke21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Luckily that claim wasn't made.  More calories are going to equal more stored fat.  More calories, by way of chasing high protein intake, without a diet plan or a workout to put your TDEE above the caloric intake likely to come with said diet.  This has been taken completely out of context, at this point, lol.  Counters are being made to points that were never meant and/or said.  I have been reminded why I quit conversing in this thread a few years ago.  Enjoy guys, and best of luck to Outpost, with the plan.  

It's all semantics, and it sounded like you were saying those things.  All fun and games, healthy debate.

I need something new to eat.

I've been eating sandwiches every day at work for the past 10 weeks.  Easy to make, two packs of those meat slices (18 grams), 2 slices of bread (10 grams), 2 slices of cheese (10 grams). 

I need something simple that I can make quickly that has 38-40 grams of protein.  Everything else I could make I would have to eat a **** ton of to get to that 40 grams per meal threshold I try to hit.  Pasta lasts a long time, but that's way overkill on the carbs.  Same with all the other meals I like.

28 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I've been eating sandwiches every day at work for the past 10 weeks.  Easy to make, two packs of those meat slices (18 grams), 2 slices of bread (10 grams), 2 slices of cheese (10 grams). 

I need something simple that I can make quickly that has 38-40 grams of protein.  Everything else I could make I would have to eat a **** ton of to get to that 40 grams per meal threshold I try to hit.  Pasta lasts a long time, but that's way overkill on the carbs.  Same with all the other meals I like.

Rotisserie chicken on a salad salad with hard boiled eggs or tuna salad sandwich with eggs...? I know tuna is polarizing but it’s lean and full of protein.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

What bread are you eating that has 10 grams of protein?

Just now, kingseanjohn said:

What bread are you eating that has 10 grams of protein?

Oat breads and rye breads.  I change that up every once in a while, but there are two brands I usually alternate between.  One of them says 7 grams per slice, one says 8, but I just call it five. 

11 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

6-8 oz burgers.  Make a bunch ahead of time.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

So I'll meal prep burritos and heat them up. I normally make a breakfast burrito variant and heat it up at work. I normally do some variant of egg + sausage + cheese + spinach in a tortilla. Really you could put anything in there and it would probably give you a similar amount of protein.

On 11/2/2020 at 6:08 PM, Outpost31 said:

When working long days I usually just bring a big Tupperware with veggies/meat that I prep on Sundays and Weds. It sounds plain but I alternate the meats between Ground Turkey, 7% lean Ground Beef, and chicken (bbq, crock pot, etc) and then I usually just cook a huge tray of veggies that I dice up, toss in olive oil and salt/pepper. Usually the veggies are a mix of bell peppers, zucchini, asparagus, broccoli, etc. 

Now it’s meat/veggies everyday but depending on the meat I’ll vary what sauce I use between soy sauce, sirarcha, salsa, hot sauce, etc. 

Simple, cheap, easy, quick and healthy way to stay fueled up. I’ll throw in brown rice/black beans every now and then. 

• Like 1

I'm looking to build some functional strength. Stuff that will help me working around the house/when the revolution comes lol. My problem is that I only have two 10lbs dumbbells and a few plates that I found that vary from 5-20lbs. The plates are the kind with the small hole that fit the little home curl bars. I will most likely buy some more after I've gotten back into it. I've got a pretty good base of understanding when it comes to working out, but not really for functional strength. I've always been "gym strong." So what should I be working on. I was thinking legs, shoulders, core. I do deads and squats now with the dumbbells, but I figure those will be better when I get more weights. I also do pushups. 

14 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm looking to build some functional strength. Stuff that will help me working around the house/when the revolution comes lol. My problem is that I only have two 10lbs dumbbells and a few plates that I found that vary from 5-20lbs. The plates are the kind with the small hole that fit the little home curl bars. I will most likely buy some more after I've gotten back into it. I've got a pretty good base of understanding when it comes to working out, but not really for functional strength. I've always been "gym strong." So what should I be working on. I was thinking legs, shoulders, core. I do deads and squats now with the dumbbells, but I figure those will be better when I get more weights. I also do pushups. 

Compound lifts....squat/front squat, deadlift, bench/incline, overhead press, chin ups, dips

I'm always confused about functional strength.  You say you are gym strong and want stuff that will help around the house.  Squatting 300 lbs but can't move the couch?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I'm always confused about functional strength.  You say you are gym strong and want stuff that will help around the house.  Squatting 300 lbs but can't move the couch?

I personally have two different answers for this question:

1. People are jealous of people who build muscle and look good and they say it's not functional muscle because their arms are thicker and they look bigger in clothes because they've got more fat.

2. Endurance.  You can squat 300 at 5x5 every other day if you want or do 100 pound triceps extensions, but when it comes to swinging an axe about 20 times you're done. 

@MOSteelers56

I am definitely still novice level at best, but I have been working out regularly for 10 years now.  I would recommend having one day with high weights, low reps and one day with low weight, high reps or whatever.  Maybe one day with each.  Right now I've got a split over 6 days where I've got essentially three different rep ranges for every muscle group. 

5x5, 3x12
4x8, 2x15
3x15, 2xfailure

I've been doing something like that for quite a few years and I feel it helps with both strength and endurance. 

• Like 1