Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

On 1/18/2021 at 1:33 PM, twslhs20 said:

Update: This Amanio-O doesn't make me psychically sick. A little indigestion, but nothing otherwise. I've just been doing 2 serving on an empty stomach in the am. Thanks @kingseanjohn

Other questions. Does anyone have any recommended splits for someone just getting back into lifting. I'll probably be doing cardio 3-4x a week prior or post lift?

Also, do people write there results down manually as they do the, or are people using apps to rack progress?

When I first got back into lifting I did StrongLifts 5x5 for a few months. There’s a free app for iPhone, not sure about other phones. 

I started out with fairly low weights, a little lower than needed. But that was to help get good form and just get back into the swing of it. I’d personally rather go too low than too high and hurt myself or over exert and affect my next workout.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

When I first got back into lifting I did StrongLifts 5x5 for a few months. There’s a free app for iPhone, not sure about other phones. 

I started out with fairly low weights, a little lower than needed. But that was to help get good form and just get back into the swing of it. I’d personally rather go too low than too high and hurt myself or over exert and affect my next workout.

Big fan of Strong Lifts. First couple sessions were a little too easy, but that quickly goes away. And the gains are real

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 5:31 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

I have a full home gym with power rack w/ landmine, bench press, adjustable bench and a preacher curl. I can work every muscle no problem but am always looking for things to add. Are Arm Blasters worth a purchase? I know it will replicate a lot of what my preacher curl works but I've seen people swear by them. I imagine it would still hit bis slightly different than a seat preacher but wanted to pick everyones brains.

Thinking of picking something generic up off Amazon

I don't think it's necessary.  You can do preacher, standing/seated and incline.  Then you can do supinated grip, neutral grip, pronated, Zottman curls.  That's a solid 12 biceps variations if I did the math correctly.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 7:29 PM, kingseanjohn said:

How was squatting 3x/week when you first got back into it? That's gotta be tough.

4 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

How was squatting 3x/week when you first got back into it? That's gotta be tough.

It wasn't really that bad since you start out with lower weights. I probably started out too low so it was almost boring. But since you add 5lbs each workout, it wasn't boring for too long.

A question on gym etiquette.

I just moved to this city for a job. So I don't know anyone. My friends and family back home have been up my butt about getting out and meeting people. My reaction is: Dude, Pandemic...

I got a gym membership cuz I wanted to refocus myself, and have a way for me to decompress from my new job. It's a lot for me being in a new industry. Anyway, I digress.

I've always been on the mindset of stick your headphones in, get it done, and get out. I don't have a ton of time anyway with my new commute every day.

I just assume, after the stench of new years bumpkin wears off, getting to know people more naturally. It would be nice to eventually have someone hold my physically accountable for my progress, or lack there of.

Apologize for the rant. I find myself a bit, out of depth, on the topic.

Edited by twslhs20
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

I just moved to this city for a job. So I don't know anyone. My friends and family back home have been up my butt about getting out and meeting people. My reaction is: Dude, Pandemic...

I got a gym membership cuz I wanted to refocus myself, and have a way for me to decompress from my new job. It's a lot for me being in a new industry. Anyway, I digress.

I've always been on the mindset of stick your headphones in, get it done, and get out. I don't have a ton of time anyway with my new commute every day.

I just assume, after the stench of new years bumpkin wears off, getting to know people more naturally. It would be nice to eventually have someone hold my physically accountable for my progress, or lack there of.

I'm of that same mindset. I don't think there's anything wrong with meeting new people at the gym, but you'll get a good idea if they are welcome to the interruption or not pretty quickly. If they keep motioning back towards the weight or putting their headphones back in, they probably just want to get back to work. 

When someone approached me I'd be nice and chat with them for a minute or two and after that, start giving those signals. I also don't have a ton of time to get my work in, so if someone is chatting my ear off for 20min, it usually screws me up.

That being said, I haven't been to a gym since covid started and honestly might not ever go back. I've been building my home gym up this past year and while it's a little harder to stay motivated 6 days a week in the same basement, I'm in the best shape of my life. Not having to wait for equipment is amazing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JonStark said:

I'm of that same mindset. I don't think there's anything wrong with meeting new people at the gym, but you'll get a good idea if they are welcome to the interruption or not pretty quickly. If they keep motioning back towards the weight or putting their headphones back in, they probably just want to get back to work. 

When someone approached me I'd be nice and chat with them for a minute or two and after that, start giving those signals. I also don't have a ton of time to get my work in, so if someone is chatting my ear off for 20min, it usually screws me up.

That being said, I haven't been to a gym since covid started and honestly might not ever go back. I've been building my home gym up this past year and while it's a little harder to stay motivated 6 days a week in the same basement, I'm in the best shape of my life. Not having to wait for equipment is amazing. 

I agree with this. I also can't wait to build up my own home gym. Just need to buy that house...

On 1/24/2021 at 9:26 AM, twslhs20 said:

Ask around for a spot or if you see someone doing an exercise you're unfamiliar with you can ask them to show you.  Easy way to start a convo.

• Like 1

Well, about 3 weeks into this workout:

M: Upper/Core; Cardio

T: Lower; Stretch

W: Cardio

Th: Upper/Core

F: Lower; Stretch

S: Cardio

My strength numbers are up, my weight is down, and my sleep is better. I also am doing a 2 week strict paleo diet, so I'm sure my protein is up as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever get a bad sprain off their biceps when deadlifting? I felt what felt like a "twang" on the inside of my elbow and dropped the bar immediately. It reminded me of a guitar string vibrating, that's what I think I felt. Got a little swelling and weakness in my arm but not much pain so I'll give it a few days rest and see if I need to go to a dr to check up on.

Going to lay off the deadlifts for a good while until it heals, I think I just got lucky and didn't tear my biceps tendon. Once everything feels good I'm going to get back into using a hook grip for all deadlifts. Not risking that again.

12 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Anyone ever get a bad sprain off their biceps when deadlifting? I felt what felt like a "twang" on the inside of my elbow and dropped the bar immediately. It reminded me of a guitar string vibrating, that's what I think I felt. Got a little swelling and weakness in my arm but not much pain so I'll give it a few days rest and see if I need to go to a dr to check up on.

Going to lay off the deadlifts for a good while until it heals, I think I just got lucky and didn't tear my biceps tendon. Once everything feels good I'm going to get back into using a hook grip for all deadlifts. Not risking that again.

Do you do a mixed grip?

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Hmm going to straps will definitely help so I'm surprised you felt that.  Maybe too many reps with a mixed grip over time.

Idk. I'm stronger than most people but compared to actual competitive/really dedicated guys I'm a pud. I never assumed 315 would be enough to cause damage either. I'm 33 so clearly not old yet, but maybe overuse or maybe I tried getting back into higher weights too quickly. 

I did my last mixed grip though. Going to stay conservative with it from here on out.