Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

It just doesn't make sense to me...

Muscle weighs more than fat. You say that you’re seeing physical changes so you’re likely converting body fat weight to muscle weight. 

Are you weighing/counting calories or just guessing?

11 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Muscle weighs more than fat. You say that you’re seeing physical changes so you’re likely converting body fat weight to muscle weight. 

Are you weighing/counting calories or just guessing?

I hope thats the case..

As for cals, i'm partially counting & partially guessing. So if i have a a 3 egg omelette or protein bar i know the calories, but when i grill chicken or eat an avacado i'm guessing based off google. But i've been thinking i should use a app to help count calories

46 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I hope thats the case..

As for cals, i'm partially counting & partially guessing. So if i have a a 3 egg omelette or protein bar i know the calories, but when i grill chicken or eat an avacado i'm guessing based off google. But i've been thinking i should use a app to help count calories

I personally use MyFitnessPal. A scale for the kitchen is pretty cheap too. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2021 at 5:24 PM, Rainmaker90 said:

Worlds Strongest Man this week! Any Strongman fans out there? Literally my second favorite sport .

I should watch but I don't.  I love Modified Strongman Training workouts for cardio and I would love to compete but I don't have anything local.

13 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

whats ur strategy?

Just counting calories and letting what I do at work do most of the work. I work a physical job that enabled me to eat whatever I wanted and stay the same weight, so just tweaking the diet was enough to send me down. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Forgot to check in. Started taking calorie counting seriously and whatnot in February and have gone from 257 lbs then to 201 now. Still about 21 lbs from my goal weight. 

That's awesome. Keep it up!

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 8:53 AM, Texansfan713 said:

whats ur strategy?

You didn't ask me, but I focus on calories and protein only. My goal is to have a 500-1000 daily caloric deficit. My protein intake is .5 to 1 gram per lb of desired body weight. Ideally carbs and sugar intake is low. But I'm not planning on doing any competitions or anything like that so I don't care as much about macros or a single bad snack.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 4:24 PM, Rainmaker90 said:

Worlds Strongest Man this week! Any Strongman fans out there? Literally my second favorite sport .

I like it, but it wont air until July, which really kills my desire to watch it.  They're dropping the ball on this stuff.

On 6/2/2021 at 2:48 PM, 49ersfan said:

I'm 5'10 and when i checked my weight in early March, i was 196 on a digital scale & 192 on a non digital scale 

That was about a 10 pound weight gain since the pandemic started and 35 pounds overall in the last few years, so i decided to get serious about cutting down my weight. My goal was 185 by today and 160 overall.

Started the treadmill in late March on and off, then got serious in early May (4 times a week, upping my intensity gradually). I've also cut my calories down.

I check my weight every 1-2 weeks, usually first thing in the morning after i've used the washroom, don't drink or eat anything before checking. 2 weeks ago, it was 196 on the digital/192 on the non digital, but i treated myself and had takeout the night before so i figured it was water weight. Checked again today, and it's STILL 196 on the digital/192 on the non digital. The fact that its 2 scales show me its not an error there.

But i really don't get it. My runs/walks are getting more intense, i'm burning more calories, cutting down my carbs, portions, late night snacking, and calories overall. My clothes are fitting better, i've had multiple people tell me i've lost some weight, i feel slimmer, and i look slimmer compared to just 2 months ago. Its not a huge difference but without a scale i would have guessed i'd lost 6-8 pounds. I would have guessed 190 at worst. Yet my weight hasn't gone down at all and i'm still 196?  I'm eating more protein and healthier in general (chicken, fish, eggs, avocados) but not doing weights at the moment. 

It just doesn't make sense to me...

To get an accurate picture need to weigh yourself every day under the same conditions. Your weight on the scale can fluctuate quite significantly so taking it every day (and taking a weekly average) should give you a better indicator where you are.

Having said that, personally I find the best way to measure fat loss is with a simple waist measurement.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the best thread, but I'm curious.

Does anyone here work our regularly to help battle depression? I've done research that says it can. I've been a regular member of my gym for 4 days a week since January, but it only seems to help for a few then I'm back to square one.

Interested if anyone else has used exercise to curb this issue, and it it just takes more consistency.