Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

5 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

I've been a regular member of my gym for 4 days a week since January, but it only seems to help for a few then I'm back to square one.

Interested if anyone else has used exercise to curb this issue, and it it just takes more consistency.

I think having a generally healthy lifestyle(Diet & Exercise), working up those endorphins, and if your depression is worsened or triggered by negative feelings towards a lacking physique/confidence or something- then that's what the gym can do to help. So, one of many tools individuals can lean on to try and work through a nastier spell of depression. Best coupled with other tactics that have proved useful in the past and those recommended by your medical/mental health advisor. 

I'm no expert in the field though, so keep that in mind. I don't personally have any issues with depression. I have seen all kinds of claims about how X helped an individual battle the issue though, and exercise is definitely a frequent offering. Video Games, Reading, Traveling, Rec Sport, Combat Sport(Boxing, etc), Picking up a Hobby, Religion, Companionship, etc etc. All suggestions I've seen as possible remedies, and I'm sure each has worked for someone out there. I think it's just about finding what works best for you.

If you don't feel any significant and sustained changes in mood then maybe the gym/exercise alone isn't the answer. That doesn't mean it can't be part of it though. At least an hour of cardio a day, a weightlifting plan suited to your realities/goals, and anything else occasionally thrown in(Swimming, Cycling, etc) certainly won't make your depression or life any worse- that much you can be sure of at least. There's plenty of depressed bodybuilders, powerlifters, fitness models, etc out there though. Which means living in the gym 24/7 isn't a magic cure all obviously. So don't beat yourself up if it isn't working for you, just keep exploring options and consulting with actual experts until you find that exact combo that clicks for you. 

1 hour ago, twslhs20 said:

Not sure if this is the best thread, but I'm curious.

Does anyone here work our regularly to help battle depression? I've done research that says it can. I've been a regular member of my gym for 4 days a week since January, but it only seems to help for a few then I'm back to square one.

Interested if anyone else has used exercise to curb this issue, and it it just takes more consistency.

Personally, walking outside helps me more than working out in a gym. There’s something about nature that soothes my soul.

14 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I think having a generally healthy lifestyle(Diet & Exercise), working up those endorphins, and if your depression is worsened or triggered by negative feelings towards a lacking physique/confidence or something- then that's what the gym can do to help. So, one of many tools individuals can lean on to try and work through a nastier spell of depression. Best coupled with other tactics that have proved useful in the past and those recommended by your medical/mental health advisor. 

I'm no expert in the field though, so keep that in mind. I don't personally have any issues with depression. I have seen all kinds of claims about how X helped an individual battle the issue though, and exercise is definitely a frequent offering. Video Games, Reading, Traveling, Rec Sport, Combat Sport(Boxing, etc), Picking up a Hobby, Religion, Companionship, etc etc. All suggestions I've seen as possible remedies, and I'm sure each has worked for someone out there. I think it's just about finding what works best for you.

If you don't feel any significant and sustained changes in mood then maybe the gym/exercise alone isn't the answer. That doesn't mean it can't be part of it though. At least an hour of cardio a day, a weightlifting plan suited to your realities/goals, and anything else occasionally thrown in(Swimming, Cycling, etc) certainly won't make your depression or life any worse- that much you can be sure of at least. There's plenty of depressed bodybuilders, powerlifters, fitness models, etc out there though. Which means living in the gym 24/7 isn't a magic cure all obviously. So don't beat yourself up if it isn't working for you, just keep exploring options and consulting with actual experts until you find that exact combo that clicks for you. 

solid advice. thanks

On 7/3/2021 at 3:23 PM, twslhs20 said:

Does anyone here work our regularly to help battle depression? I've done research that says it can. I've been a regular member of my gym for 4 days a week since January, but it only seems to help for a few then I'm back to square one.

I've read similar things about it's benefits in that regard, though I can't speak to the depression specifically. I will say that I've dealt with some intermittent rage / anger / frustration issues in the past and it helps out considerably in that regard

• Like 1

If I haven’t said before, I go to Planet Fitness. The price is right. Needless to say, there are a lot of people that I can only assume are new to the gym. 

I see soooo many people with terrible form. Like their whole body is swinging because of too much weight  when it should be an isolated arm movement or rounding their back when they should be straight. Stuff like that.

Do you say anything or do you just wait to witness injury?

11 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

If I haven’t said before, I go to Planet Fitness. The price is right. Needless to say, there are a lot of people that I can only assume are new to the gym. 

I see soooo many people with terrible form. Like their whole body is swinging because of too much weight  when it should be an isolated arm movement or rounding their back when they should be straight. Stuff like that.

As a member of Anytime Fitness, I don't say anything unless I see something that is really dangerous, usually only if they're teenagers at that too (like quarter squatting a ton of weight they can't handle). Seems to me like if you give a few points then they want you to critique more of their lifts and want to talk too much while I'm lifting. 

I think I'm a generally nice person but the gym is one time I get to be a bit greedy with my time and to focus on myself. 

17 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Only time I ever Intervened was to help a lady from potentially injuring herself. She was squatting too much weight and had bad form. Most times though I got my headphones and is locked in until the end of my workout.

On 7/3/2021 at 6:23 PM, twslhs20 said:

It helps me. I have anxiety and depression and I would say combatting that is maybe the main reason I go to the gym. If I don't go for a week, I feel awful. 

I don't know why it helps over the course of a week or so, but in the moment, it is probably the only time my brain actually turns off. I forget how to do basic math, I can't form a coherent sentence, and I definitely can't worry about stuff. It's a really nice 'break' in the day. In some ways, I'm more relaxed mentally during an exhausting workout than when I'm sleeping.

I will say though, that is only the case for me in group classes. Lifting by myself does not help; I'm still alone with my thoughts there and no one is pushing me.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my first bar muscle up the other day 😎

Next stop is entering the 1000 pounds club. I'm only about 70 lbs away right now, and I think I can get much heavier on my bench (which I haven't done at all in 2 years now) and I think I can improve my back squat pretty substantially as well (currently at a 1RM of 315 and that went up pretty easily when I did that a few months ago).

Edited by minutemancl

8 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

GYp0T62.jpg

My PT left Beijing for a few months so I’m on my own using my apartment building’s gym instead of his. Any idea what these things are for? I’m basically a gym newb minus what I’ve learned the last year with my guy. 

They're decline benches.  The one in the middle is adjustable.  They're being used for decline sit-ups/other ab variations, by the way they're set up.  You put your butt at the top of the actual bench, grap that handle at the top for support.  Swing your legs over pad closest to where your taking the picture from, so the pit of your knee is on the row pads closest to you, and then weave your shins between the two pad setups, so your foot is locked in under the pad closest to the mirrors.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

They're decline benches.  The one in the middle is adjustable.  They're being used for decline sit-ups/other ab variations, by the way they're set up.  You put your butt at the top of the actual bench, grap that handle at the top for support.  Swing your legs over pad closest to where your taking the picture from, so the pit of your knee is on the row pads closest to you, and then weave your shins between the two pad setups, so your foot is locked in under the pad closest to the mirrors.  

This. They can also be used for decline bench press and other similar exercises. But I wouldn't worry about that for a while.

@titansNvolsR#1 are you following any workout program or anything?

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

This. They can also be used for decline bench press and other similar exercises. But I wouldn't worry about that for a while.

@titansNvolsR#1 are you following any workout program or anything?

Thank you both.

Just doing what I was doing with the trainer before and substituting with what's available in this gym. I'm usually the only one in there so avoiding injuring myself is mostly the name of the game 😆

T: Chest/Tri
Th: Back/Bi
Sa: Legs/Shoulders 

with staff basketball on the days in-between. I've stalled out on noticeable body differences. Need to figure out some way to lose this last layer of fat, but I'm going to assume that's mostly diet.