Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

20 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Just estimating based on this and assuming 25g protein 4x a day… Up your protein intake. 

I don’t have the study handy atm, but your body can only process ~25g per hour. So the ~35 (guessing) from your shake and yogurt isn’t fully counting the way you’d expect. 

I’ve seen that study too and I’ve also read and seen it refuted. Idt any fitness guy and certainly the Strongmen I watch believe that based on the amount they eat at a time. 

Im not knowledgeable to say it’s wrong, but why do you think it’s right ?

On 7/26/2021 at 2:12 PM, Rainmaker90 said:

I have a Renpho scale, which I just saw isn’t the most accurate with all of the extra things it measures. I knew it wouldn’t be exact but I thought it’d be in the same ballpark. Maybe I should just accept the weight loss and take the rest with a grain of salt ?  My diet is pretty basic 

apple or banana for breakfast 

p shake and g yogurt after training 

salad and p shake for lunch 

some sort of meat only 

meat and carbs 

with 2 greens and reds drinks.

Eat protein for breakfast.

Eat more meals, less shakes.

No carbs for breakfast, keep it at night or post workout

On 7/26/2021 at 4:02 PM, Rainmaker90 said:

I’ve seen that study too and I’ve also read and seen it refuted. Idt any fitness guy and certainly the Strongmen I watch believe that based on the amount they eat at a time. 

Anabolics aside (just referencing strongmen) I felt like I grew better with higher protein, and the guys who were bigger at the gyms I went to swore by higher protein. Always seemed like maintaining was fine with lower protein but gaining was hard with it.

On 7/26/2021 at 3:02 PM, Rainmaker90 said:

I thought I responded to this, but I guess not.

I have an acquaintance that I use to work with that got his WBFF pro card and has gone on to win numerous international fitness competitions. Dude makes a living now as a model and taking on clients to train for competitions. I haven't kept in touch but I still see updates every so often when I actually look at Facebook.

At one point this was his daily macros were: 330g Protein, 370g Carbs, 85g Fat. He'd have a shake or protein based snack on the hour every hour when he could.

Back when I was first getting into fitness I asked him why not just eat more pre-shift or post shift instead of throughout the night (we worked nights). He mentioned about body processing only so much at a time. That's when I really started to do all my research into lifting/eating. It worked extremely well for him so I'm a believer. Just wish I would've got into lifting back then like I am now.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I thought I responded to this, but I guess not.

I have an acquaintance that I use to work with that got his WBFF pro card and has gone on to win numerous international fitness competitions. Dude makes a living now as a model and taking on clients to train for competitions. I haven't kept in touch but I still see updates every so often when I actually look at Facebook.

At one point this was his daily macros were: 330g Protein, 370g Carbs, 85g Fat. He'd have a shake or protein based snack on the hour every hour when he could.

Back when I was first getting into fitness I asked him why not just eat more pre-shift or post shift instead of throughout the night (we worked nights). He mentioned about body processing only so much at a time. That's when I really started to do all my research into lifting/eating. It worked extremely well for him so I'm a believer. Just wish I would've got into lifting back then like I am now.

It's certainly more advantageous to spread out meals/protein intake but there's no 30g per meal rule.  Total protein is the most important, whether it's 200g in one meal or 50g over 4 meals.  Most people would be very uncomfortable eating that many calories and that much protein in one sitting though.

Take Mark Bell for instance.  Sometimes he does 1 meal a day and that's 250+g in one sitting.  I would never recommend that but his body doesn't say hey I can only handle the first 30, we won't count the rest.  He would lose a ton of muscle.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 9:48 AM, 49ersfan said:

I'm 5'10 and when i checked my weight in early March, i was 196 on a digital scale & 192 on a non digital scale 

That was about a 10 pound weight gain since the pandemic started and 35 pounds overall in the last few years, so i decided to get serious about cutting down my weight. My goal was 185 by today and 160 overall.

Started the treadmill in late March on and off, then got serious in early May (4 times a week, upping my intensity gradually). I've also cut my calories down.

I check my weight every 1-2 weeks, usually first thing in the morning after i've used the washroom, don't drink or eat anything before checking. 2 weeks ago, it was 196 on the digital/192 on the non digital, but i treated myself and had takeout the night before so i figured it was water weight. Checked again today, and it's STILL 196 on the digital/192 on the non digital. The fact that its 2 scales show me its not an error there.

But i really don't get it. My runs/walks are getting more intense, i'm burning more calories, cutting down my carbs, portions, late night snacking, and calories overall. My clothes are fitting better, i've had multiple people tell me i've lost some weight, i feel slimmer, and i look slimmer compared to just 2 months ago. Its not a huge difference but without a scale i would have guessed i'd lost 6-8 pounds. I would have guessed 190 at worst. Yet my weight hasn't gone down at all and i'm still 196?  I'm eating more protein and healthier in general (chicken, fish, eggs, avocados) but not doing weights at the moment. 

It just doesn't make sense to me...

2 month update. I run on average 3-4 times a week still on the treadmill. I can no longer run like 20-30 minutes in a row like i used to, usually max 10 minutes, but the intensity is up. I usually do a short burst, quick 30 second break, then another short burst. I end up running around 35 minutes/walking for 15 minutes. My workout clothes are usually drenched after lol 

I believe my weight was higher than the 196 i weighed myself at in early March; That was a one-time thing, first time in months, so maybe the timing was off or i just gained weight like crazy after because even when i was 196 in early June people were telling me i looked like i lost weight. I'm guessing i was actually around 203-205 in late march/early April

I last checked my weight a couple of weeks ago and it was 184, so it looks like i lost around 20 pounds in total. Since i slacked off the last couple of weeks i haven't checked my weight yet, probably sometime next week. 

Its definitely a chore sometimes but the grind is worth it and on days when i can't go for a run (too tired or no energy) i feel pretty unaccomplished. Still hoping to hit 160 by November-December but lets see. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Its definitely a chore sometimes but the grind is worth it and on days when i can't go for a run (too tired or no energy) i feel pretty unaccomplished. Still hoping to hit 160 by November-December but lets see. 

Is 5'10 160 even healthy though? That seems kind of low imo. Regardless, congratulations on your progress so far.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 9:36 PM, DreamKid said:

Is 5'10 160 even healthy though? That seems kind of low imo. Regardless, congratulations on your progress so far.

I'm not sure. I was at my peak in 2016 and weighed around the same back then. So that was my goal 

On 8/17/2021 at 9:36 PM, DreamKid said:

I mean, I'm 5'10.5 and 171 pounds, and I can bench more than my weight and squat 2x my weight, so I wouldn't think that's a low weight at all, especially if he has a thin frame. Mine's more of the "medium" frame.

• 2 weeks later...