Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

On 8/17/2021 at 9:27 PM, 49ersfan said:

2 month update. I run on average 3-4 times a week still on the treadmill. I can no longer run like 20-30 minutes in a row like i used to, usually max 10 minutes, but the intensity is up. I usually do a short burst, quick 30 second break, then another short burst. I end up running around 35 minutes/walking for 15 minutes. My workout clothes are usually drenched after lol 

I believe my weight was higher than the 196 i weighed myself at in early March; That was a one-time thing, first time in months, so maybe the timing was off or i just gained weight like crazy after because even when i was 196 in early June people were telling me i looked like i lost weight. I'm guessing i was actually around 203-205 in late march/early April

I last checked my weight a couple of weeks ago and it was 184, so it looks like i lost around 20 pounds in total. Since i slacked off the last couple of weeks i haven't checked my weight yet, probably sometime next week. 

Its definitely a chore sometimes but the grind is worth it and on days when i can't go for a run (too tired or no energy) i feel pretty unaccomplished. Still hoping to hit 160 by November-December but lets see. 

the exercise is causing increased storage of water along with glyocgen in the adapting muscles, this increased waterweight obscures the loss of carbons for a bit. be patient, keep a caloric deficit and the weight will come off. 

On 7/30/2021 at 9:11 PM, Sugashane said:

Anabolics aside (just referencing strongmen) I felt like I grew better with higher protein, and the guys who were bigger at the gyms I went to swore by higher protein. Always seemed like maintaining was fine with lower protein but gaining was hard with it.

protein turns on genes that promote muscle growth, it is definitely a good thing to have an abundance of if you are trying to grow muscle

Any 3 or 4 day workout routines you guys recommend? Just been doing what I was doing with the trainer but been doing that for a year and feeling like I've plateaued. I have scoliosis so some of the lifts I just physically can't do without pain/risk like barbell squats.

I've googled around but every link begins with "Best workout routine ever" so hard to tell the good from bad.

On 9/9/2021 at 12:29 AM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Any 3 or 4 day workout routines you guys recommend? Just been doing what I was doing with the trainer but been doing that for a year and feeling like I've plateaued. I have scoliosis so some of the lifts I just physically can't do without pain/risk like barbell squats.

I've googled around but every link begins with "Best workout routine ever" so hard to tell the good from bad.

There's a number of solid ones you can pick from. Wendler's 5/3/1, Starting Strength, Strong Lift's 5x5 are all good for getting stronger. DeFranco's WS4SB is great if you're trying to get functional too. Regardless you'll have to adapt to get around some of the movements like squats but there are plenty of leg press variations you can use instead. Or even supersets to replace squats. Juggernaut is absolutely fantastic but is a bit complex if you're new to working out.

I like to do blocks of training. I'll normally stick with Juggernaut but sometimes I want to just lift heavy and really push myself, so I'll do 8-12 weeks of DC training. Aiming for PRs every workout in every exercise is as taxing mentally as it is physically though, so I tend to raise the rep ranges a bit and use it as a "reset" before getting back on Juggernaut.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm starting a 9 week nutrition program with my wife and a bunch of other members of my gym on Monday. I wasn't going to at first, but 1. my gym put out the goals of the program and what it entails and it is a super attainable, minor lifestyle adjustment type program that doesn't really involve dieting, 2. my wife is doing it, so that basically means I'd be doing it as well anyway, and 3. there is a leaderboard for some of the challenges associated with it, and I can't resist a good competition.

Normally this is the time of year where I like to do my very loose style of bulking (drinking a lot of heavy beers, actually eating dessert, and lifting super heavy with little cardio), so this will be a change of pace. Curious to see how it turns out.

The only bad part of this is that my wife and I are really close friends with the 2 coaches at the gym who are running this challenge, so I may get called out when I go for my 2nd, 3rd, 4th beer during Sunday football and we are all hanging out watching together lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 10:04 PM, Tetsujin said:

Has anybody got into Paul Saladino MD’s YouTube channel? I’m convinced he’s on the vanguard of proper nutrition.

Haven't watched his videos, just know he's big on carnivore.  Great short term diet but too restrictive for most.  Add a little fruits, veggies, carbs and good to go.