Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

10 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

Whoops. 

When I say bodyweight I mean Lean Body Mass

But I also don't think .6 grams/lb is the absolute max. It's on the upper end for sure, but most of the research papers I went over said around .75-.8g/lb (lean body mass) has been the recommended dose for those with high protein needs and high levels of exercise. 

https://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

Essentially those that show .75-8 are giving two standard deviations above what is shown in order to be on the safe side.

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

https://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

Essentially those that show .75-8 are giving two standard deviations above what is shown in order to be on the safe side.

That was actually the article I came across last year when I was trying to put everything together.

All those figures are talking about pounds body mass, not lean body mass, I believe, which would make up for that "rounding up" to the .82g

I made the mistake of not including (Lean Body Mass) in my explanation, which is what I mean when I say "body weight". 

2 hours ago, Bednarik60 said:

Another good option to is Fairlife milk, which is lactose free and pretty high protein for milk with 13 grams of protein, pretty low in sugar  and some minerals and b vitamins, its good stuff. 

?format=750w

This stuff is delicious too tbh. Always pick some up when I'm at target. 

http://rockinrefuel.com/products/muscle-builder-chocolate-12-oz/

^ also v good

So anyone that can direct me. I went through chemo little over a year ago, and I lost weight during it but in the year since I've gained weight. My job after chemo was where I was on my feet for hours so I didn't feel like working out later. Now, I'm to the point where I need to get back, but I know my body is NOWHERE near it was before the chemo. I used to workout a lot, but I'm unsure where to go if I should focus on cardio first, or get my strength built back up while mixing in some cardio. 

Any ideas?

17 hours ago, Bednarik60 said:

Another good option to is Fairlife milk, which is lactose free and pretty high protein for milk with 13 grams of protein, pretty low in sugar  and some minerals and b vitamins, its good stuff. 

?format=750w

I didn't know it was lactose free. I'm intolerant, I'll have to give this a shot. I've been buying Darigold LF milk and it's just OK. 

16 hours ago, Mr. bDoDDleS said:

So anyone that can direct me. I went through chemo little over a year ago, and I lost weight during it but in the year since I've gained weight. My job after chemo was where I was on my feet for hours so I didn't feel like working out later. Now, I'm to the point where I need to get back, but I know my body is NOWHERE near it was before the chemo. I used to workout a lot, but I'm unsure where to go if I should focus on cardio first, or get my strength built back up while mixing in some cardio. 

Any ideas?

First off, congrats on completing chemo, I've seen first hand the toll it takes on a person's mind and body. 

As for where to start, it really depends on what your goals are. If you've lost muscle mass and you're looking to get that back, cardio isn't going to do much for you. If you're looking to lose some unwanted/unhealthy weight, cardio is a good way to increase the calories you burn, however like everything, a huge part of it is diet.

Just getting back into the swing of things, I'd just make sure I'm eating clean but not worrying about macros too much and slowly increasing my work load over time, making sure not to over work myself.

I'd give myself a day off in between lifting, and if you feel like it, some light cardio on those days. Really it comes down to what you're comfortable with and seeing how your body responds to the slight increases in work load. 

Best of luck!

• Like 1

So, I'm trying to figure out what is the best route to go as far as getting into the swing of things.

So, basically due to mainly diet (just eating a lot less mainly) and some light running, I have lost a little over 100 pounds since my junior years of high school up until now (22 yrs old). Weighed in at about 255-260 at the highest point I think and now I range anywhere from 148-155 depending on the day. Problem is, although I am light, I'm not quite as toned/thin as a 150 pound person should be imo. I lifted a decent back throughout high school on and off but I've never been very good in the area as far as weights go. I do have access to my college gym of course but haven't really given it much of a go. I do a decent bit of running but nothing insane (1.5-2 mile runs) and honestly enjoy cardio. I just have a little extra skin in my upper arms, lower belly, pecs, etc. that I'd like to firm up and would like some ideas on what route I should go that include maybe starting a lifting program or things outside the gym. Any help would be awesome.

Edited by .Buzz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, .Buzz said:

So, I'm trying to figure out what is the best route to go as far as getting into the swing of things.

So, basically due to mainly diet (just eating a lot less mainly) and some light running, I have lost a little over 100 pounds since my junior years of high school up until now (22 yrs old). Weighed in at about 255-260 at the highest point I think and now I range anywhere from 148-155 depending on the day. Problem is, although I am light, I'm not quite as toned/thin as a 150 pound person should be imo. I lifted a decent back throughout high school on and off but I've never been very good in the area as far as weights go. I do have access to my college gym of course but haven't really given it much of a go. I do a decent bit of running but nothing insane (1.5-2 mile runs) and honestly enjoy cardio. I just have a little extra skin in my upper arms, lower belly, pecs, etc. that I'd like to firm up and would like some ideas on what route I should go that include maybe starting a lifting program or things outside the gym. Any help would be awesome.

How tall are you? 

50 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

5'11. 

155lbs at 5'11 after fast weight loss, you're going to have a bit of loose skin. The fantastic news is that you're 22 and it's not a life sentence. Keeping your habits you've established over the past year and adding even just a couple days of basic strength training will flesh you out a bit. At 5'11 you can be very reasonably 'toned' at 175lbs or so.

You also don't have to lift weights necessarily to put on a little more muscle. Do you play any sports or do anything besides cardio? Props to you by the way, I hate cardio, I can't imagine starting to get into it if I was overweight.

36 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

155lbs at 5'11 after fast weight loss, you're going to have a bit of loose skin. The fantastic news is that you're 22 and it's not a life sentence. Keeping your habits you've established over the past year and adding even just a couple days of basic strength training will flesh you out a bit. At 5'11 you can be very reasonably 'toned' at 175lbs or so.

You also don't have to lift weights necessarily to put on a little more muscle. Do you play any sports or do anything besides cardio? Props to you by the way, I hate cardio, I can't imagine starting to get into it if I was overweight.

Yeah, it was only a few years before I got to this weight. Been at it for about a year and a half now actually so it's probably even quicker than you were thinking. I still eat plenty but just not as drastic of amounts and of course I drank way too much pop whereas now it's literally just protein/health shakes, water, or beer/liquor. That probably did 30 or so pounds give or take alone I'd imagine.

I played some intramural flag football a couple years ago. Play some pick up basketball once in a while. Wouldn't mind picking up tennis tbh. What are some good options/things I could do without weight lifting? Just curious, as I may get back into it but would still be nice to know what other options there are.