Our WRs heading forward

pwny

This discussion was sparked by this tweet I saw.

I knew Cole had done some really nice things over the last several weeks, but I had no idea he had found a way to make that much of an impact down the stretch.

With Dede Westbrook finding a way to do some nice things down the stretch as well, the Jaguars have a couple potential rookie gems going forward. This raises some questions about the future of the position. Allen Robinson and Marqise Lee are both set to be Free Agents this year. In addition, the contract for Allen Hurns has hit a point that the Jaguars can cut ties with the oft-injured WR if they see fit.

With all of this in mind, how will things turn out as the offseason unfolds?

Personally, my ideal situation would be keeping the Allens both together and having Dede and Cole work towards becoming formidable on their own part. 

2 minutes ago, jfinley88 said:

dont yall still got mad cap room?

Expected to have $23.79M. It’s enough to maneuver with, but not nearly what we had the last several years or will have next year. It could go up $19M if they rescind the option on Blake. It could go up $7M if they cut Ivory. $7M if they cut Hurns. $3.75 if Lewis retires/is cut. $1.5 when Rivera is let go. So there’s room. And they can push cap into the following year if need be.

4 minutes ago, jfinley88 said:

dont yall still got mad cap room?

ARob | Hurns | Westbrook | Cole | Early Rookie

imo. let marqise walk & take that 4th round comp he should get you. 

Think we still have a bit but not as much as you think.

In my opinion we should keep ARob, keep Hurns, and let Lee walk.

Roll with ARob, Hurns, Cole, and Dede as the top four. Draft another big bodied guy in case and have Mickens be the 5th/6th guy and punt returner as usual.

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

Expected to have $23.79M. It’s enough to maneuver with, but not nearly what we had the last several years or will have next year. It could go up $19M if they rescind the option on Blake. It could go up $7M if they cut Ivory. $7M if they cut Hurns. $3.75 if Lewis retires/is cut. $1.5 when Rivera is let go. So there’s room. And they can push cap into the following year if need be.

oooooh **** yeah that's tighter than i thought. i'd eat that 7m and roll w/ ARob/Hurns/Westbrook/Cole still. Definitely don't rescind Blake's option and cut those other fellows.. get it up to ~35m.. yall in a good spot there w/ like hardly any legit needs. roll w/ blake again for one more year unless he blows in the playoffs. one of the best situations in the league in JAX right now. happy for yall. 

I like that group of A-Rob/Hurns/Cole/Dede. I would still be fine with taking a WR early on.

Let Lee walk. Don’t need to invest that much $ in the WR position with what A-Rob, Hurns and Lee would make. 

Having Dede and Cole on cheap contracts while producing is nice. Good finds by the Jags scouting department. 

On 1/3/2018 at 11:02 AM, .Buzz said:

Think we still have a bit but not as much as you think.

In my opinion we should keep ARob, keep Hurns, and let Lee walk.

Roll with ARob, Hurns, Cole, and Dede as the top four. Draft another big bodied guy in case and have Mickens be the 5th/6th guy and punt returner as usual.

Yeah.  This is pretty much what i'd like to see.

If the cap does get a bit tight for some reason, cutting Hurns wouldn't be the end of the world...and if some decent offers were to come in on him, i'd at least consider dealing him and replacing him with someone a bit cheaper/probably a rookie.  Overall pretty content to just keep him though.

Getting that big bodied type as insurance for ARob coming off a pretty substantial injury is an important element though.  Or at least somebody who has velcro hands and decent size to at least play that possession role - especially if ARob ends up not being back to 100% exactly what he was, or gets off to a slow start...which seems an entirely plausible scenario.

Biggest fear is that they'll do something goofy like cutting Hurns to make more room to massively overpay Lee with a huge deal full of guaranteed money or some such nonsense.  They still really seem to like Lee, a lot more than is reasonable imo.  So that's a bit of a worry.

• 3 weeks later...

I REALLY like Dede and Cole.  Those two looked so good as rookies.  Signing A-Rob is the most important piece of the puzzle and he will come with a huge price tag.  So much that I could see Hurns getting cut, Lee walking in FA and the Jags drafting a rookie in the middle of the draft.  The Jags have shown to have an excellent coaching staff for those young guys to develop quickly and a penchant for spotting talent in the draft that hits.  There will be other cheaper options in free agency as well that won't cost $7 million a year like Hurns or what Lee will cost.

Cole looks REALLY impressive to me for a rookie.  I think he and Dede can go opposite ARob and give you guys an incredibly strong WR group.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived