Cowboys Coaching Carousel - Paul Alexander named OL coach

WizardHawk

5 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Like Ive said, predictable and stale are kind of what happens when you try to "not get cute"

When you are a run first team, with this runner and this line, predictable comes with that territory and it becomes unavoidable.

The few times they try to break their usual habits, it ends up being unsuccessful because this team is built on their habits, their roster is built on these habits, and lets face it - these habits win us far more games than it loses.

While Im not against bringing in a new coach, I do think people overlook both the record (like a 2-1 ratio win to loss) of success, the track record of having an eye for talent (look how much better we have drafted since Garrett came here), and the ability to get the most out of some real bit players (Hes got some real leadership and motivational flair). You may be frustrated with the staleness of the direction of offense, or even defense, but these are unavoidable consequences of a run first offense and a two deep/robber defensive style. Its predictable, its repetitive, but when it works well its tough to beat.

The grass is.not always greener, either! Think the Buccs are happy they let Lovie Smith walk to promote the new concepts of Koetter? Think SF is happy having let the pushy, agitating personality of Harbaugh go in favor of the innovations of Chip Kelly and the kind players coach persona of ... whatever that guys name was? 

Sometimes continuity is better. What if Pittsburgh gave up on Cowher when he was growing stale? Or Dungy in Indy? Continuity man, especially when the hire came during a reboot of the roster, is sometimes the much safer option.

You make good points. There have also been coaching changes that have worked.  This statement has no factual basis but my gut is telling me that Garrett's time has come.  People wanted Landry run out of town too, however Landry did take over an expansion team.  Disclaimer:  In no way shape or form am I saying Garrett is the second coming of Landry!  Like I said I will gladly eat some humble pie if I'm wrong.  One playoff win in 7.5 years.  Better than Cincinnati, but I'm not on the Marvin Lewis plan either.  At what point though do we say Garrett is the answer, or he's the problem?  Was last year indicative of a fundamental issue with the team, or a perfect storm of key injuries/suspensions/2nd year QB coming down to earth?  

you can be one dimensional if you execute better than the opposition.  Execution requires coaching, teaching, and players who are capable of buying in and executing the plan.  

33 minutes ago, Northland said:

You make good points. There have also been coaching changes that have worked.  This statement has no factual basis but my gut is telling me that Garrett's time has come.  People wanted Landry run out of town too, however Landry did take over an expansion team.  Disclaimer:  In no way shape or form am I saying Garrett is the second coming of Landry!  Like I said I will gladly eat some humble pie if I'm wrong.  One playoff win in 7.5 years.  Better than Cincinnati, but I'm not on the Marvin Lewis plan either.  At what point though do we say Garrett is the answer, or he's the problem?  Was last year indicative of a fundamental issue with the team, or a perfect storm of key injuries/suspensions/2nd year QB coming down to earth?  

you can be one dimensional if you execute better than the opposition.  Execution requires coaching, teaching, and players who are capable of buying in and executing the plan.  

Are the playoff losses directly related to his coaching, though? No. They are not. They are directly related to Aaron Rodgers being freaking amazing. Along with a bad call by the refs.

Twice Garrett took into the playoffs a team that looked unstoppable. and due to no fault of his own, that team was beaten by one of the greatest gunslinger QBs to ever play football making a couple miracle plays. Those teams, both of them, should have won those games and likely pushed for a spot in the big game. 

With Marvin Lewis, he is an overachiever. He gets his team into the playoffs by sneaking in with an average roster that can edge out just enough wins to count in a division that also features a horrendous Browns team. They lose their games in the playoffs with usually very bad play, looking underprepared and overwhelmed. Cant say that about the two real Cowboys teams under Garrett that deserved to be in the playoffs. Those teams played well, those teams had an outstanding chance to win, and again, were simply beaten by Gods Gift To The NFL, Aaron Rodgers.

3 hours ago, Northland said:

This is where I think there may be a problem. Buying into the "process". Believe there have been a couple of instances where players, Butler most recently, have stated frustration over play calling and adjustments. All the coaching and all the speeches do no good if the team is starting to tune you out. Maybe players have heard enough about the "process". 

Archived