Who Busted Harder: Danny Watkins or Marcus Smith?

Phire

WHO BUSTED HARDER  

11 members have voted

1. 1. WHO BUSTED HARDER

• Danny Watkins, OL, 2011
    • Marcus Smith, DE, 2014

Watkins actually started 18 games and appeared in 24 games. Now, that's a quantity argument not specifically a quality argument. He wasn't great, but I remember some games he wasn't complete garbage either. Danny has a recovered fumble.

Marcus Smith had ZERO starts but has appeared in 37 games, apparently. He ended up with 4 sacks, 12 tackles, and 6 assists.

Is it possible Smith was a bigger bust than Watkins?

Honestly I erased fireman's play from my memory, Smith had guys in front of him year 1 & 2. Year 3 he was no longer a real fit, however 2.5 sacks in 2016 in only 21% of defensive snaps.

We don't know what happened with Smith, did he not want to come off the bench? Did he not hit it off with DougieP? New DL coach? Was he upset that we signed Long and drafted Barnett this offseason? Was he expecting a bigger role? Well his play would determine that. 

Fireman I think didn't love football, he just had nothing else going on. 

I think it comes down to expectations. Both were huge reaches to begin with.
What makes one more of a bust? Being a reach and having low expectations to begin with, or have higher expectations being drafted in the correct spot in the draft.

In my opinion, Smith busted harder.

Both of them had the HWS to be at least solid players in the league, but neither had the intangibles.

Watkins just didn't want to play in the NFL, he just fell into the sport, it was never his dream.  Smith, on the other hand, just didn't have the drive and passion to improve.

Honestly, didn't even remember that Danny Watkins started whatsoever, kind of surprised by that.  I think Marcus Smith is more of a bust and more disappointing just because he had every opportunity to capture playing time. It wasn't like we had a ton of people in front of him at all times.

The jury is still out on Smith, like someone mentioned he could still excel. As far as Eagles expectations I have to say Watkins was the bigger disappointment we were a playoff caliber team the year before. It doesn't help him that the 2011 season was a huge disappointment altogether.  

19 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

The jury is still out on Smith, like someone mentioned he could still excel. As far as Eagles expectations I have to say Watkins was the bigger disappointment we were a playoff caliber team the year before. It doesn't help him that the 2011 season was a huge disappointment altogether.  

Agreed - Watkins is the bigger bust. He was billed as the "can't miss offensive guard" in that draft and was supposed to make an impact on day one but he never actually wanted to play football. Marcus Smith was always kind of a project and at least he made an attempt to improve his play. It just didn't work out for him here. 

Watkins, drafted 2011, Reid fired in 2012.

Smith, drafted 2014, Chip fired 2015.

The GM didn't go anywhere. Gotta land those 1st rounders if you're the head coach. Though Doug is way different in that he's basically a spectator when it comes to the draft. Which is actually kind of nice because there's no way in hell I would want Doug deciding who to draft haha. I'd rather him just leaning back in a lawn chair throwing back beers on draft day.

35 minutes ago, Danger said:
45 minutes ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

He was billed as the "can't miss offensive guard" in that draft

You think so? I certainly never did. Maybe Andy thought that.

That was the general consensus. If not "can't miss" than definitely the top guard in the draft.

Oh what could have been with Jimmy Smith.:(

Archived