My "If Kirk Leaves" Mock

MKnight82

Let me first start off by saying I don't think Kirk is going anywhere, but for fun I thought I'd take a shot at a mock without Kirk in the plans.  A few things:

1. Kirk can't be traded so I'm not projecting us to get anything back for him in return other than a 2019 3rd round comp pick.

2. My plan is to tank in 2018 and draft a QB the following year. 

3. Obviously I would fire Bruce Allen and make other moves like that, but I'm not going to focus on the front office or coaching staff in this.

Trade CB Josh Norman to the Panthers for a 2nd round pick.  

- If Kirk leaves we will be rebuilding, and Norman wants to play for a contender.  He also doesn't want to walk away from his current lucrative contract, so trading him helps both parties out.  Losing Norman sucks but he will be on the wrong side of 30 when we start competing again.  Send him back to Carolina where he thrived.  

Trade SS Su'a Cravens to the Rams for a Conditional 2019 6th round pick

- Just get this guy out of town.  He's a clown, ship him back to California.  The Rams take a chance on him for a future conditional 6th rounder, conditions being he stays on their active roster for 17 weeks in 2018.  

Veteran Cuts

- TE Vernon Davis - I think he has been solid for us but he can't block anymore and its time to get some young players reps at TE. 

- TE Niles Paul - he sucks

- DL Terrell McClain - terrible signing to begin with, just move on from this mistake.  

- DL Ziggy Hood - this experiment needs to end too.  

Zach Brown Leaves in Free Agency

- Why would he come back if Cousins leaves and we are rebuilding?  I don't think there's any chance Brown resigns with us if Cousins leaves, he will want to go play for a contender.  

Others leaving in Free Agency

QB Kirk Cousins

WR Terrelle Pryor

MLB Mason Foster

G/C Spencer Long

OLB Junior Galette

CB Bashaud Breeland

Re-Signings

Resign WR Ryan Grant to 2-year $8 mil deal

Resign OLB Trent Murphy to 1-year $1.2 mil deal

Resign LG Shawn Lauvao to 2-year $4 mil deal (just as depth, his starting days are over)

RFAs LT Ty Nseke, S Deshazor Everett are retained

Free Agency

We won't be big players in free agency and we are rebuilding and trying to preserve future cap space. 

- Signed CB Ross Cockrell to a 3-year, $21 mil deal.  

- Signed S Bradley McDougald to a 2-year $8 mil deal.  He can back up both safety spots and compete with Nicholson for a starting role.  

Draft Day Trade

- Redskins trade #13 overall to Buffalo for #26 overall and a 2019 1st round pick. The Texans made a very similar trade this past year when they moved from 25 to 12 for Watson. Buffalo moves up for a QB.  

2018 NFL Draft

Round 1 (26) - MLB Josh Allen, Kentucky - The other Josh Allen in this draft, he played OLB in college but his thinner frame fits better as a 3-4 ILB in the pros.  He's a good pass rusher and tackler, reminds me a lot of Lawrence Timmons when he came out.  Allen replaces Zach Brown as the main tackler and tone setter for our defense.  

Round 2 (44) - OG Will Hernandez, UTEP - at 6'3" 335 lbs Hernandez is a mauler in the run game who's started 37 games in college at LG.  Fills arguably one of the biggest needs on our roster.  

Round 2 (56, from Carolina) - WR Equanimeous St Brown - He has legit #1 size at 6'5" 205 lbs, and put on a show in 2016 with a 961 yard, 9 TD Sophomore campaign.  He struggled with injuries in 2017 but still has a lot of upside.  

Round 3 - NT Derrick Nnadi, FSU - Local kid from VA Beach, Nnadi is a run stuffer that has freed up FSU's talented pass rushers to get to the QB.  He was 1st team all acc his junior year, and 3rd team all acc his senior one.  At 315 lbs he'll need to bulk up a little for the pros at NT, but that shouldn't be an issue.  

Round 4 - DE Andrew Brown, UVA - Brown was a very highly touted recruit out of high school that has always shown impressive athletic ability but never been able to put it all together.  He needs coaching but has the potential to become an NFL starter.  

Round 5 - RB Ralph Webb, Vanderbilt - Webb ran for 831 yards and 10 TDs this year but was stuck playing against top level defenders all year with a crap Oline. 

Round 6 - TE Ethan Wolf, Tennessee - listed at 6'5" 258 lbs, Wolf should develop into an excellent blocking TE.  

Round 7 - QB Brett Rypien, Boise St - Mark's nephew, he has a decent arm and had good production in college.  We'd be grooming him as our backup QB.  

2019 Draft Picks

1st Round Pick - Redskins

1st Round Pick - Bills

2nd Round Pick - Redskins

3rd Round Pick - Redskins

3rd Round Pick - Compensatory

4th Round Pick - Redskins

5th Round Pick - Redskins

6th Round Pick - Redskins

6th Round Pick - Rams

7th Round Pick - Redskins

2018 Roster 

QB: Colt McCoy, Brett Rypien

HB: Samaje Perine, Chris Thompson, Ralph Webb, Rob Kelley

TE: Jordan Reed, Jeremy Sprinkle, Ethan Wolfe

WR: Josh Doctson, Equanimeous St. Brown, Jamison Crowder, Ryan Grant, Maurice Harris, Robert Davis

LT: Trent Williams, Ty Nsekhe

LG: Will Hernandez, Shawn Lauvao

OC: Chase Roullier

RG: Brandon Scherff, Arie Kouandjio

RT: Morgan Moses

LE: Jonathan Allen, Anthony Lanier

NT: Derrick Nnadi, Stacy McGee

RE: Matt Ioannidis, Andrew Brown

LOLB: Ryan Kerrigan, Ryan Anderson

MLB1: Josh Allen, Zach Vigil

MLB2: Martrell Spaight, Josh Harvey-Clemons

ROLB: Preston Smith, Trent Murphy

CB1: Ross Cockrell, Fabian Moreau

CB2: Quinton Dunbar, Joshua Holsey

Slot: Kendall Fuller

FS: Montae Nicholson, Bradley McDougald, Fish Smithson

SS: DJ Swearinger, Deshazor Everrett

K: Hopkins

P: Way

LS: Nick Sundberg

Final Thoughts

Colt McCoy as the starting QB should be enough to tank our season and land us a high pick.  The idea is to intentionally kick the can down the road one year so we can get this roster ready for whatever QB we select in the 2019 draft.  If for some reason we don't land a pick high enough for the QB we want, the Buffalo pick gives us ammunition to move up.  Hernandez makes the Oline look a lot better, and Brown gives us a WR to start developing.  Both should really help any rookie QB.  Not a huge upgrade at HB, but that's something we could look at with one of our other high picks in the 2019 draft if no one steps up in 2018.  A really strong run game could keep us from tanking 2018 too so you gotta keep that in mind.  I feel like ditching Jordan Reed this offseason is premature as we'd be selling him at an all time low (and people talking about cutting him are just crazy IMO).  

On defense I feel like the Dline has a lot more talent in it.  Nnadi and Brown give us two great prospects there.  I'm not a fan of Preston Smith but its probably premature to move on from him.  If he's mediocre again next year we can entertain looking for his replacement.  Allen brings us a stud to the MLB core, but we could probably use another coverage guy in that mix somewhere too.  Not sure if Vigil would even make the roster over some potential UDFAs too.  The secondary takes a step back after losing both Norman and Breeland,  but that is partially by design.  I think Cockrell is a good piece that will probably be out of place as a #1, he's probably better as a #2.  We can find out if Dunbar, Moreau or Fuller can handle being a #1 for a year while we are tanking.  If they struggle we can make a big free agent signing for a #1 CB in the 2019 offseason.  

There is literally no chance this happens under Synder. I don't think you're suggesting that.

But with the Skins in the terrible position of being around .500 for three years, and Kirk potentially walking, I'd be in on a tank job. And landing two first round picks sounds nice to me.

I don't know if I'd go WR with our second #2.  But if we did, I want a speed guy. How about Christian Kirk? Or Parris Campbell. We need someone to stretch the field. Djax long gone and Prior was a bust.

1 hour ago, Skinsin2013 said:

There is literally no chance this happens under Synder. I don't think you're suggesting that.

But with the Skins in the terrible position of being around .500 for three years, and Kirk potentially walking, I'd be in on a tank job. And landing two first round picks sounds nice to me.

I don't know if I'd go WR with our second #2.  But if we did, I want a speed guy. How about Christian Kirk? Or Parris Campbell. We need someone to stretch the field. Djax long gone and Prior was a bust.

I’d be down with a speed WR, I just think Brown is a really intriguing prospect.

Lol. If we are going to trot out Colt McCoy, we might as well fire Gruden now. No chance he will be here in 2019 in this scenario.  

I think Brown should be resigned no matter what. He is a pro bowl caliber LB. I doubt Norman gets traded with an opt out clause. 

Draft is okay. If Cousins is gone and we don’t draft a QB early and don’t sign a FA, we ar tanking. I think J.T Barrett would be a better 7th than Rypien. 

21 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Lol. If we are going to trot out Colt McCoy, we might as well fire Gruden now. No chance he will be here in 2019 in this scenario.  

I think Brown should be resigned no matter what. He is a pro bowl caliber LB. I doubt Norman gets traded with an opt out clause. 

Draft is okay. If Cousins is gone and we don’t draft a QB early and don’t sign a FA, we ar tanking. I think J.T Barrett would be a better 7th than Rypien. 

If Cousins leaves Gruden has no chance anyways.

I didn’t say I wouldn’t resign Brown, I said brown wouldn’t resign with us.

Norman doesn’t want to opt out cause of that lucrative contract.  Getting traded makes him more money than opting out.

8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

If Cousins leaves Gruden has no chance anyways.

I didn’t say I wouldn’t resign Brown, I said brown wouldn’t resign with us.

Norman doesn’t want to opt out cause of that lucrative contract.  Getting traded makes him more money than opting out.

You are assuming Norman wouldn’t just sign a FA contract with a contender for a lot of money?

I disagree with Gruden not having a chance anyway. If their jobs were linked, Gruden would have been fired already. 

Its pretty safe to think that Cousins is gone and we will sign or draft a QB to be our opener day starter. Colt McCoy is not an regardless of what our F.O. says. 

Brown has played on bad teams his whole career. If the money is right, he will resign.

9 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

You are assuming Norman wouldn’t just sign a FA contract with a contender for a lot of money?

I disagree with Gruden not having a chance anyway. If their jobs were linked, Gruden would have been fired already. 

Its pretty safe to think that Cousins is gone and we will sign or draft a QB to be our opener day starter. Colt McCoy is not an regardless of what our F.O. says. 

Brown has played on bad teams his whole career. If the money is right, he will resign.

I don’t think anyone will pay Norman what we have after the year he had.

Why would Brown want to play for a rebuilding team?

Just now, MKnight82 said:

I don’t think anyone will pay Norman what we have after the year he had.

Why would Brown want to play for a rebuilding team?

I think Norman would get more than Breeland (which is probably going to be 10+ mil/year) so, yea picking his team opposed to being traded is where his mind will probably go.

like I said with Brown, if the money is right, he will sign. He fits in well here. He is above average.

7 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Let me first start off by saying I don't think Kirk is going anywhere, but for fun I thought I'd take a shot at a mock without Kirk in the plans.  A few things:

1. Kirk can't be traded so I'm not projecting us to get anything back for him in return other than a 2019 3rd round comp pick.

2. My plan is to tank in 2018 and draft a QB the following year. 

3. Obviously I would fire Bruce Allen and make other moves like that, but I'm not going to focus on the front office or coaching staff in this.

Trade CB Josh Norman to the Panthers for a 2nd round pick.  

- If Kirk leaves we will be rebuilding, and Norman wants to play for a contender.  He also doesn't want to walk away from his current lucrative contract, so trading him helps both parties out.  Losing Norman sucks but he will be on the wrong side of 30 when we start competing again.  Send him back to Carolina where he thrived.  

Trade SS Su'a Cravens to the Rams for a Conditional 2019 6th round pick

- Just get this guy out of town.  He's a clown, ship him back to California.  The Rams take a chance on him for a future conditional 6th rounder, conditions being he stays on their active roster for 17 weeks in 2018.  

Veteran Cuts

- TE Vernon Davis - I think he has been solid for us but he can't block anymore and its time to get some young players reps at TE. 

- TE Niles Paul - he sucks

- DL Terrell McClain - terrible signing to begin with, just move on from this mistake.  

- DL Ziggy Hood - this experiment needs to end too.  

Zach Brown Leaves in Free Agency

- Why would he come back if Cousins leaves and we are rebuilding?  I don't think there's any chance Brown resigns with us if Cousins leaves, he will want to go play for a contender.  

Others leaving in Free Agency

QB Kirk Cousins

WR Terrelle Pryor

MLB Mason Foster

G/C Spencer Long

OLB Junior Galette

CB Bashaud Breeland

Re-Signings

Resign WR Ryan Grant to 2-year $8 mil deal

Resign OLB Trent Murphy to 1-year $1.2 mil deal

Resign LG Shawn Lauvao to 2-year $4 mil deal (just as depth, his starting days are over)

RFAs LT Ty Nseke, S Deshazor Everett are retained

Free Agency

We won't be big players in free agency and we are rebuilding and trying to preserve future cap space. 

- Signed CB Ross Cockrell to a 3-year, $21 mil deal.  

- Signed S Bradley McDougald to a 2-year $8 mil deal.  He can back up both safety spots and compete with Nicholson for a starting role.  

Draft Day Trade

- Redskins trade #13 overall to Buffalo for #26 overall and a 2019 1st round pick. The Texans made a very similar trade this past year when they moved from 25 to 12 for Watson. Buffalo moves up for a QB.  

2018 NFL Draft

Round 1 (26) - MLB Josh Allen, Kentucky - The other Josh Allen in this draft, he played OLB in college but his thinner frame fits better as a 3-4 ILB in the pros.  He's a good pass rusher and tackler, reminds me a lot of Lawrence Timmons when he came out.  Allen replaces Zach Brown as the main tackler and tone setter for our defense.  

Round 2 (44) - OG Will Hernandez, UTEP - at 6'3" 335 lbs Hernandez is a mauler in the run game who's started 37 games in college at LG.  Fills arguably one of the biggest needs on our roster.  

Round 2 (56, from Carolina) - WR Equanimeous St Brown - He has legit #1 size at 6'5" 205 lbs, and put on a show in 2016 with a 961 yard, 9 TD Sophomore campaign.  He struggled with injuries in 2017 but still has a lot of upside.  

Round 3 - NT Derrick Nnadi, FSU - Local kid from VA Beach, Nnadi is a run stuffer that has freed up FSU's talented pass rushers to get to the QB.  He was 1st team all acc his junior year, and 3rd team all acc his senior one.  At 315 lbs he'll need to bulk up a little for the pros at NT, but that shouldn't be an issue.  

Round 4 - DE Andrew Brown, UVA - Brown was a very highly touted recruit out of high school that has always shown impressive athletic ability but never been able to put it all together.  He needs coaching but has the potential to become an NFL starter.  

Round 5 - RB Ralph Webb, Vanderbilt - Webb ran for 831 yards and 10 TDs this year but was stuck playing against top level defenders all year with a crap Oline. 

Round 6 - TE Ethan Wolf, Tennessee - listed at 6'5" 258 lbs, Wolf should develop into an excellent blocking TE.  

Round 7 - QB Brett Rypien, Boise St - Mark's nephew, he has a decent arm and had good production in college.  We'd be grooming him as our backup QB.  

2019 Draft Picks

1st Round Pick - Redskins

1st Round Pick - Bills

2nd Round Pick - Redskins

3rd Round Pick - Redskins

3rd Round Pick - Compensatory

4th Round Pick - Redskins

5th Round Pick - Redskins

6th Round Pick - Redskins

6th Round Pick - Rams

7th Round Pick - Redskins

2018 Roster 

QB: Colt McCoy, Brett Rypien

HB: Samaje Perine, Chris Thompson, Ralph Webb, Rob Kelley

TE: Jordan Reed, Jeremy Sprinkle, Ethan Wolfe

WR: Josh Doctson, Equanimeous St. Brown, Jamison Crowder, Ryan Grant, Maurice Harris, Robert Davis

LT: Trent Williams, Ty Nsekhe

LG: Will Hernandez, Shawn Lauvao

OC: Chase Roullier

RG: Brandon Scherff, Arie Kouandjio

RT: Morgan Moses

LE: Jonathan Allen, Anthony Lanier

NT: Derrick Nnadi, Stacy McGee

RE: Matt Ioannidis, Andrew Brown

LOLB: Ryan Kerrigan, Ryan Anderson

MLB1: Josh Allen, Zach Vigil

MLB2: Martrell Spaight, Josh Harvey-Clemons

ROLB: Preston Smith, Trent Murphy

CB1: Ross Cockrell, Fabian Moreau

CB2: Quinton Dunbar, Joshua Holsey

Slot: Kendall Fuller

FS: Montae Nicholson, Bradley McDougald, Fish Smithson

SS: DJ Swearinger, Deshazor Everrett

K: Hopkins

P: Way

LS: Nick Sundberg

Final Thoughts

Colt McCoy as the starting QB should be enough to tank our season and land us a high pick.  The idea is to intentionally kick the can down the road one year so we can get this roster ready for whatever QB we select in the 2019 draft.  If for some reason we don't land a pick high enough for the QB we want, the Buffalo pick gives us ammunition to move up.  Hernandez makes the Oline look a lot better, and Brown gives us a WR to start developing.  Both should really help any rookie QB.  Not a huge upgrade at HB, but that's something we could look at with one of our other high picks in the 2019 draft if no one steps up in 2018.  A really strong run game could keep us from tanking 2018 too so you gotta keep that in mind.  I feel like ditching Jordan Reed this offseason is premature as we'd be selling him at an all time low (and people talking about cutting him are just crazy IMO).  

On defense I feel like the Dline has a lot more talent in it.  Nnadi and Brown give us two great prospects there.  I'm not a fan of Preston Smith but its probably premature to move on from him.  If he's mediocre again next year we can entertain looking for his replacement.  Allen brings us a stud to the MLB core, but we could probably use another coverage guy in that mix somewhere too.  Not sure if Vigil would even make the roster over some potential UDFAs too.  The secondary takes a step back after losing both Norman and Breeland,  but that is partially by design.  I think Cockrell is a good piece that will probably be out of place as a #1, he's probably better as a #2.  We can find out if Dunbar, Moreau or Fuller can handle being a #1 for a year while we are tanking.  If they struggle we can make a big free agent signing for a #1 CB in the 2019 offseason.  

Really you think he will sign with us? I think is 99 to 1 he leaves. 

No way Panthers want Norman back. That bridge was burned and I don’t want to trade him

casserly said trade Reed because you can’t count on him

Rolling with Colt means we are tanking so I like letting anyone old like 85 go but why not Frankenfeet Lauvao too?

seems like the draft was BPA and that’s the best approach when you tank. Get the QB next year. 

4 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Really you think he will sign with us? I think is 99 to 1 he leaves. 

No way Panthers want Norman back. That bridge was burned and I don’t want to trade him

casserly said trade Reed because you can’t count on him

Rolling with Colt means we are tanking so I like letting anyone old like 85 go but why not Frankenfeet Lauvao too?

seems like the draft was BPA and that’s the best approach when you tank. Get the QB next year. 

Dave Gentlemann the GM that cut Norman was fired and the owner is selling the team.  No reason Norman wouldn’t want to go back.

Archived