My "If Kirk Leaves" Mock

MKnight82

Let me first start off by saying I don't think Kirk is going anywhere, but for fun I thought I'd take a shot at a mock without Kirk in the plans.  A few things:

1. Kirk can't be traded so I'm not projecting us to get anything back for him in return other than a 2019 3rd round comp pick.

2. My plan is to tank in 2018 and draft a QB the following year. 

3. Obviously I would fire Bruce Allen and make other moves like that, but I'm not going to focus on the front office or coaching staff in this.

1. Kirk can be traded if we franchise him. The only team that I see even considering him would be the Jets or Browns at that point. 

2. If Gruden is the HC in 2018, I can't see him tanking. This QB class is sooo much better than the 19 now that Rosen and Darnold have declared. 

3. I agree. 

I would like to think that Kirk has established some roots here with some of the appearances he has done and the things that he cares about, but it all depends on his priorities. 

Trade CB Josh Norman to the Panthers for a 2nd round pick.  

- If Kirk leaves we will be rebuilding, and Norman wants to play for a contender.  He also doesn't want to walk away from his current lucrative contract, so trading him helps both parties out.  Losing Norman sucks but he will be on the wrong side of 30 when we start competing again.  Send him back to Carolina where he thrived. 

I agree, although, Norman looks like an all about me kind of guy, so I think he opts out and signs somewhere to be a contender. 

Trade SS Su'a Cravens to the Rams for a Conditional 2019 6th round pick

- Just get this guy out of town.  He's a clown, ship him back to California.  The Rams take a chance on him for a future conditional 6th rounder, conditions being he stays on their active roster for 17 weeks in 2018.  

I would pursue the Chargers. They have a greater need for a S. 

Veteran Cuts

- TE Vernon Davis - I think he has been solid for us but he can't block anymore and its time to get some young players reps at TE. 

- TE Niles Paul - he sucks

- DL Terrell McClain - terrible signing to begin with, just move on from this mistake.  

- DL Ziggy Hood - this experiment needs to end too.  

I don't agree with Vernon, but he might not want to be here if there is a rebuilding mode anyway. 

I absolutely agree with the rest. ESPECIALLY Niles Paul. 

Zach Brown Leaves in Free Agency

- Why would he come back if Cousins leaves and we are rebuilding?  I don't think there's any chance Brown resigns with us if Cousins leaves, he will want to go play for a contender. 

If other teams had passed on him when he came off a pro bowl tenure with the Bills, and then proves his worth with the Redskins, he seems loyal and loves the game of football. Likely he stays. Especially if he signs before Cousins. 

Others leaving in Free Agency

QB Kirk Cousins

WR Terrelle Pryor

MLB Mason Foster

G/C Spencer Long

OLB Junior Galette

CB Bashaud Breeland

I agree with them leaving, IF Kirk leaves. Breeland is gone no matter what. The Dunbar signing proved that. Long is a ?

Re-Signings

Resign WR Ryan Grant to 2-year $8 mil deal

Resign OLB Trent Murphy to 1-year $1.2 mil deal

Resign LG Shawn Lauvao to 2-year $4 mil deal (just as depth, his starting days are over)

RFAs LT Ty Nseke, S Deshazor Everett are retained

I am buying into Ryan Grant just a little. I would have offered 3 year 9M. With 3 in guarantees.  (Ideally his first season salary considering Jay loves him and if Jay is fired, then he can go)

Vet min for Trent. Forget Lauvao. 

Agree on the RFA's. 

Free Agency

We won't be big players in free agency and we are rebuilding and trying to preserve future cap space. 

- Signed CB Ross Cockrell to a 3-year, $21 mil deal.  

- Signed S Bradley McDougald to a 2-year $8 mil deal.  He can back up both safety spots and compete with Nicholson for a starting role.  

Don't sign McDougald. Promote Fish Smithson to the active roster. D.J. Swearinger, Everett, Nicholson, Smithson (late round draft pick)

I could care less for Cockrell. With soooooo many good CB's in this draft, could find a better one for cheaper. I also want to see what we have in Moreau. Moving Fuller out of the slot. 

NOW: *cracks knuckles*

Draft Day Trade

- Redskins trade #13 overall to Buffalo for #26 overall and a 2019 1st round pick. The Texans made a very similar trade this past year when they moved from 25 to 12 for Watson. Buffalo moves up for a QB.  

2018 NFL Draft

Round 1 (26) - MLB Josh Allen, Kentucky - The other Josh Allen in this draft, he played OLB in college but his thinner frame fits better as a 3-4 ILB in the pros.  He's a good pass rusher and tackler, reminds me a lot of Lawrence Timmons when he came out.  Allen replaces Zach Brown as the main tackler and tone setter for our defense.  

Round 2 (44) - OG Will Hernandez, UTEP - at 6'3" 335 lbs Hernandez is a mauler in the run game who's started 37 games in college at LG.  Fills arguably one of the biggest needs on our roster.  

Round 2 (56, from Carolina) - WR Equanimeous St Brown - He has legit #1 size at 6'5" 205 lbs, and put on a show in 2016 with a 961 yard, 9 TD Sophomore campaign.  He struggled with injuries in 2017 but still has a lot of upside.  

Round 3 - NT Derrick Nnadi, FSU - Local kid from VA Beach, Nnadi is a run stuffer that has freed up FSU's talented pass rushers to get to the QB.  He was 1st team all acc his junior year, and 3rd team all acc his senior one.  At 315 lbs he'll need to bulk up a little for the pros at NT, but that shouldn't be an issue.  

Round 4 - DE Andrew Brown, UVA - Brown was a very highly touted recruit out of high school that has always shown impressive athletic ability but never been able to put it all together.  He needs coaching but has the potential to become an NFL starter.  

Round 5 - RB Ralph Webb, Vanderbilt - Webb ran for 831 yards and 10 TDs this year but was stuck playing against top level defenders all year with a crap Oline. 

Round 6 - TE Ethan Wolf, Tennessee - listed at 6'5" 258 lbs, Wolf should develop into an excellent blocking TE.  

Round 7 - QB Brett Rypien, Boise St - Mark's nephew, he has a decent arm and had good production in college.  We'd be grooming him as our backup QB.  

I cannot argue with a first round trade. But, Buffalo has 2 2nd rounders and 2 3rd rounders, and if they are trading up for a QB, they need to bring the ammo. At 13, that is suggesting potentially Mason Rudolph or Baker Mayfield. In this case, considering I would be happy with either of those guys for the Redskins, It would have to at least include one of their 2nds or 3rds plus their first 1st rounder (they have 2 of them too, from KC for Pat Mahomes which is pick 26 I believe). 

1. Kentucky LB Josh Allen. Hrm. I have not seen him in ANY mocks anywhere. He is not even ranked. Recent news has him undecided, but I bet he goes back to school considering he is  a Junior. His size also dictates him to play Edge more. 6'5 230. Give me Rashaan Evans all day everyday at ILB from Alabama. If not him than Roquan Smith. 

2. Can't argue with Hernandez. 

2. St. Brown does not impress me. Doesnt use his size well. At taht pick, Allan Lazard, Iowa State 6'5 230 is a much better prospect and knows how to use that size. Most mocks these days have St. Brown going in the later rounds but no better than Day 3. Lazard is climbing the boards. Kirk is a late 1st round prospect and Parris Campbell is a mid round prospect. I also like Cedrick Wilson from Boise State. Nations 2nd leading receiver. Their 40's will change those. 

xx: I also would not be opposed to a draft day trade of Jordan Reed and grabbing Mark Andrews or Hayden Hurst. 

3. Derrick Nnadi is projected in the first and he fell to 3rd round, yes swoop him up. 

4. Meh. Have not seen much on him, and there are a LOT of defensive lineman in this draft. 

5. I think I would switch out this pick with a 4th round shot at Sony Michel. Michel might even go in the 3rd round. Then take a DE here. 

6. TE is always a good need, but in your case since getting rid of Davis and Paul, that leaves Sprinkle (and Reed, unless you agree to trade Reed which I don't think you do). 

7. At this point, I don't seem to care too much about a back up QB. I don't really care about the legacy stuff. Matt Linehan, Idaho, Shinshek, Texas Tech could be good options if available. 

First, Snyder will not allow this team to tank it. Next if Gruden tanks it he is gone for sure. Third no one will trade for Norman from us. Fourth, we don't have to tank cause our team next year if Cousins leaves will have a record of 4-12 or worst so we will be in the area of drafting a QB already and last, will there be any fans still supporting the team after we lose Kirk and crash to a 4-12 record.

If Kirk leaves I would love for us to give Teddy Bridgewater the prove it type deal,think he'd be a good fit in Gruden Offense and a cheap option at qb,def don't want to spend a 1st round pick on the 4th or 5th qb in Draft so would be okay with Mkights options though woulda Liked Kiser as a UVA Fan for a ST thumper/run  downs guy

20 minutes ago, Skinscavalier said:

First, Snyder will not allow this team to tank it. Next if Gruden tanks it he is gone for sure. Third no one will trade for Norman from us. Fourth, we don't have to tank cause our team next year if Cousins leaves will have a record of 4-12 or worst so we will be in the area of drafting a QB already and last, will there be any fans still supporting the team after we lose Kirk and crash to a 4-12 record.

I don’t expect them to tank, I know Gruden and Allen will be trying to save their jobs.  This mock is what I would do.

I don't understand why people think if Kirk leaves it's the end of the world . We arguably build a better roster and draft a qb or sign drew Brees or smith ( for one year ) .  Like Kirk cousins isn't elite he's good and his stats mislead people believing he's anywhere Brees or Brady's level he simply is not .

i wouldn't mind the trade backs etc but let's stop acting like we will go 0-16. 

6 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

If Kirk leaves I would love for us to give Teddy Bridgewater the prove it type deal,think he'd be a good fit in Gruden Offense and a cheap option at qb,def don't want to spend a 1st round pick on the 4th or 5th qb in Draft so would be okay with Mkights options though woulda Liked Kiser as a UVA Fan for a ST thumper/run  downs guy

Been saying teddy bridgewater be a good one year option. If he doesn't workout than Gruden gets fired and the next HC gets his own guy . 

Teddy has a winning record and was made accurate on short to medium throws . For one year why not? His arm strength isn't bad either it just it needed work on his accuracy .

23 minutes ago, Skinscavalier said:

I doubt we would go 4-12 dude .

Hate to say it ... but Sam Bradford would probably be our guy . I think McKnight is right .. I'm not in love with any of these qbs in the first other than Rosen and Jackson ( who might not be in this draft) . Trade back and build the team trough the draft and free agency .

gruden is sometimes unbearable but i think a Bradford/McCoy/third round qb would be the better option .

No on Teddy Bridgewater. He sucks. He sucks. He sucks. He sucks. This team would be better with Colt than Teddy B. Sorry. But thats the truth. 

No on Sam Bradford. He cant stay healthy. 

If, IF, Cousins leaves, Alex Smith is likely a free agent. Sign him up for a year. Draft the future QB in 2018 and let him sit behind Smith. 

If Teddy B had Adrian Peterson he was decent, not good, not great, but decent. When he didnt have him, he sucked. HE. SUCKS. 

Archived