The 2018 free agents: Extend? Let walk? Franchise?

Apparition

OT Nate Solder (age 30)
CB Malcolm Butler (age 28)
WR Danny Amendola (age 33)
RB Dion Lewis (age 28)
RB Rex Burkhead (age 28)
CB Johnson Bademosi (age 28)
ST Matthew Slater (age 33)
OT Cameron Fleming (age 26)
ST Nate Ebner (age 29)
OT LaAdrian Waddle (age 27)
DL Ricky Jean-Francois (age 32)
RB/ST Brandon Bolden (age 28)
DL/ST Geneo Grissom (age 26)
LB Marquis Flowers (age 26)

UFA:

ST Brandon King (age 25)

ERFAs:

OL Ted Karras (age 25)

Not sure about the financial implications, but keep the bolded. 

OT Nate Solder (age 30) 
RB Dion Lewis (age 28)
RB Rex Burkhead (age 28)

ST Nate Ebner (age 29)

UFA:

ST Brandon King (age 25)

ERFAs:

OL Ted Karras (age 25)

Solder and Butler going should give us a lot of wiggle room

5 hours ago, Starless said:

OT Nate Solder (age 30)
RB Dion Lewis (age 28)
RB Rex Burkhead (age 28)
ST Nate Ebner (age 29)

What I think will actually happen is Solder stays on a hometown discount

Butler walks for greener (literally) pastures

Danny sits on the open market and eventually come backs on a cheap deal

Dion walks for greener pastures

Rex Burkhead gets extended

Bademosi resigns

Slater resigns

Fleming walks

Ebner stays on the market but signs during the season

Waddle is brought back

Ricky walks

Bolden resigns

Grissom resigns

Flowers resigns

I think Solder is gone unless he takes a massive paycut, which seems unlikely.  His age, injury history, and streaky play all lead me to believe Patriots will move on.  

I think they'll patch it together with Waddle/Fleming/Garcia and hope Garcia works out and if not, look to next season to find an upgrade at LT.  The market is bone dry at tackle and Solder is going to be sought after by half the teams in the NFL.  

2 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

I think Solder is gone unless he takes a massive paycut, which seems unlikely.  His age, injury history, and streaky play all lead me to believe Patriots will move on.  

I think they'll patch it together with Waddle/Fleming/Garcia and hope Garcia works out and if not, look to next season to find an upgrade at LT.  The market is bone dry at tackle and Solder is going to be sought after by half the teams in the NFL.  

I dont think he is as valued as you think in the league, even with the market at tackle. I also think he will be willing to take a pay cut to stick around. With his son's illness, I doubt he wants to supplant his family or have more time away from them. 

OT Nate Solder (age 30) - Walks
CB Malcolm Butler (age 28) - Walks
WR Danny Amendola (age 33) - Resigns for ~2 years 4 million with guarantees
RB Dion Lewis (age 28) -  3 years, 12 million - one of Lewis/Burkhead
RB Rex Burkhead (age 28)  - 3 years 12 million.  - one of Lewis/Burkhead
CB Johnson Bademosi (age 28)  - Walks
ST Matthew Slater (age 33) - Resigns for ~2 years - 3 mill
OT Cameron Fleming (age 26) -  Resigns for ~3 years - 12 mill.  Third year dummy year
ST Nate Ebner (age 29) - Resigns for ~2 years, 2 mill
OT LaAdrian Waddle (age 27) - Walks/Resigns for same as Fleming.  Second thought think only one of these guys stays.
DL Ricky Jean-Francois (age 32) - Walks
RB/ST Brandon Bolden (age 28) -  Resigns for ~1 year, 1.5 mill
DL/ST Geneo Grissom (age 26)  - Walks
LB Marquis Flowers (age 26) - Walks

UFA:

ST Brandon King (age 25) - Walks

ERFAs:

OL Ted Karras (age 25) - 1 year min.  

5 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I dont think he is as valued as you think in the league, even with the market at tackle. I also think he will be willing to take a pay cut to stick around. With his son's illness, I doubt he wants to supplant his family or have more time away from them. 

90% of teams in the NFL would upgrade one of their tackle spots with him.    With the massive dry pool of talent at OL in the NFL, tons of mediocre/bad teams have 50+ million in cap space, and Solder literally being the only half decent tackle on the market, I think it's a lock some team offers him a ton of money.

Maybe he stays for a massive pay cut for the reasons you stated, but I'd be shocked if he didn't get some monster offers this offseason.  The Patriots are screwed if Solder decides he wants to take the cheese.  

IMO there is 0% chance he doesn't get offered something like 50+ million at 12+ AAV IMO.  

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Not even with how brutal the OL positions are league wide? I think a lot of teams would pay just for average play at this stage.

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think we need to bring Lewis back, don't we? Guy is playing like a top 5 running back and has relegated our SB hero to the bench

Yup. I think we need to bring both Lewis and Burkhead back. I could see us cutting Gillislee to save some money.

OT Nate Solder (age 30) - I would like to keep him for 2 more years. I'd offer a 3 year extension low guarantees on the later years. Something around 8-9 million p/y, but I'm not sure that would be enough.
CB Malcolm Butler (age 28) - He is out... will be paid somewhere else, which is good for him, wish him the best of luck.
WR Danny Amendola (age 33) - 1 year extension same amount as this year 1.5 million
RB Dion Lewis (age 28) -  3 years, 12 million 
RB Rex Burkhead (age 28)  - I think he is walking, and I'd rather keep Lewis, given we still have White.
CB Johnson Bademosi (age 28)  - 2 year extension around 1 to 1.5 million per year, he looks like an ok backup at CB, with value in ST. 
ST Matthew Slater (age 33) - He seems to be always hurt... would resign based on experience and leadership, would offer something similar to Danny.
OT Cameron Fleming (age 26) -  I would let him go and keep Waddle. If Waddle don't sign up I'd keep him... 2-3 years 3 million p/y
OT LaAdrian Waddle (age 27) - I'd try to keep him 3-4 million p/y, 3 to 4 years.
RB/ST Brandon Bolden (age 28) -  Don't care... walks
LB Marquis Flowers (age 26) - Similar to Bademosi... keep him, ok backup with value in ST.

UFA:

ERFAs:

OL Ted Karras (age 25) - 2 years, 1 mil/y. 

9 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think we need to bring Lewis back, don't we? Guy is playing like a top 5 running back and has relegated our SB hero to the bench

I would really like to have him back.  But he's playing lights out like you stated and never had a big pay day. 

4 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Yup. I think we need to bring both Lewis and Burkhead back. I could see us cutting Gillislee to save some money.

Doubtful we bring back two redundant players back when both are looking for career pay days.  

More likely we resign one, other walks, give Gillislee any other chance, draft a young guy to develop late and sign a journeyman (Woodhead?)

2 hours ago, atmer said:

OT Nate Solder (age 30) - I would like to keep him for 2 more years. I'd offer a 3 year extension low guarantees on the later years. Something around 8-9 million p/y, but I'm not sure that would be enough.
CB Malcolm Butler (age 28) - He is out... will be paid somewhere else, which is good for him, wish him the best of luck.
WR Danny Amendola (age 33) - 1 year extension same amount as this year 1.5 million
RB Dion Lewis (age 28) -  3 years, 12 million 
RB Rex Burkhead (age 28)  - I think he is walking, and I'd rather keep Lewis, given we still have White.
CB Johnson Bademosi (age 28)  - 2 year extension around 1 to 1.5 million per year, he looks like an ok backup at CB, with value in ST. 
ST Matthew Slater (age 33) - He seems to be always hurt... would resign based on experience and leadership, would offer something similar to Danny.
OT Cameron Fleming (age 26) -  I would let him go and keep Waddle. If Waddle don't sign up I'd keep him... 2-3 years 3 million p/y
OT LaAdrian Waddle (age 27) - I'd try to keep him 3-4 million p/y, 3 to 4 years.
RB/ST Brandon Bolden (age 28) -  Don't care... walks
LB Marquis Flowers (age 26) - Similar to Bademosi... keep him, ok backup with value in ST.

UFA:

ERFAs:

OL Ted Karras (age 25) - 2 years, 1 mil/y. 

8-9 for Solder is not even close to enough.  

The rest look pretty good.  I also had Lewis at 3 years 12 mill, but second thought he is probably going to get more from someone.  

Waddle I'd be hesistant to give that many years.  

OT Nate Solder (age 30): Walk
CB Malcolm Butler (age 28): Walk
WR Danny Amendola (age 33): Walk
RB Dion Lewis (age 28): Resign
RB Rex Burkhead (age 28): Walk
CB Johnson Bademosi (age 28): Resign
ST Matthew Slater (age 33): Resign
OT Cameron Fleming (age 26): Walk
ST Nate Ebner (age 29): Resign
OT LaAdrian Waddle (age 27): Resign
DL Ricky Jean-Francois (age 32): Walk
RB/ST Brandon Bolden (age 28): Walk
DL/ST Geneo Grissom (age 26): Walk
LB Marquis Flowers (age 26): Walk

UFA:

ST Brandon King (age 25): Walk

ERFAs:

OL Ted Karras (age 25): Resign

I think we could see Solder back on a reasonable 2 or 3 year deal -- can't see him getting a ton of money elsewhere, and there's probably a desire family-wise to stay in Boston with everything he has going on with his youngest son.

Lewis we might get priced out of but would love to see him back. Burkhead slightly more likely to be back I think. The ST guys are almost locks, no better place in the NFL to be at their positions.

Would be nice to get Waddle locked in at reasonable $$ as Cannon insurance, I don't think he's ready to be a full time LT if Solder does leave.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived