The 2018 free agents: Extend? Let walk? Franchise?

Apparition

7 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I don’t see a scenario where Butler re-signs, the decision to let him go was made last year.

I don't think they've totally written off the idea of bringing him back, if his market doesn't pan out I think they could make a competitive offer. It really depends on whether he's willing to swallow his pride and come back for less than he thinks he's worth or if he's dead set on leaving.

16 minutes ago, dhunt2402 said:

I don't think they've totally written off the idea of bringing him back, if his market doesn't pan out I think they could make a competitive offer. It really depends on whether he's willing to swallow his pride and come back for less than he thinks he's worth or if he's dead set on leaving.

I think his perception around the league has certainly dipped since last off-season, but I still think a team is going to over pay for him. 

14 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Or he realizes the value of RB's is not what the market dictates. You'd be calling him an idiot in 2 years when Lewis is a shell and getting bank, crippling the team money wise from allocating resources elsewhere. 

I don't Lewis is going to be that expensive. Besides the market value of RBs, he turns 28 next year with wear and tear. A cheap 3 year deal isn't out of the ballpark.

7 hours ago, everlong said:

I don't Lewis is going to be that expensive. Besides the market value of RBs, he turns 28 next year with wear and tear. A cheap 3 year deal isn't out of the ballpark.

I can only see Dion leaving if its a substantial difference in $s.

44 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Question from a Cowboy fan. Do you think NE would trade a 3rd round pick for WR Cole Beasley?

No. Julian should be back and Danny has been great. They have Cooks, Hogan and Mitchell on top of that. They really dont need a WR right now. 

15 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

No. Julian should be back and Danny has been great. They have Cooks, Hogan and Mitchell on top of that. They really dont need a WR right now. 

Yeah definitely not. They were fine this year with 2 of their top 4 receivers out for the entire season.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2018 at 8:09 AM, 1ForTheThumb said:

Talib could be a cap causality. Possible return if Butler walks?

Zero chance. Going to Denver burned bridges (the only time I recall Belichick bringing back a player was Deion Branch) and he's not going to be worth the money at 31, regardless of how well he played in 2017.

On 2/9/2018 at 2:42 PM, Elky said:

Zero chance. Going to Denver burned bridges (the only time I recall Belichick bringing back a player was Deion Branch) and he's not going to be worth the money at 31, regardless of how well he played in 2017.

I don't think there is zero chance they take a serious look at Talib. Guy knows the defense and they have a serious need at CB. There have been reports he's on the trade block and can see Denver moving on from him either way.

3 hours ago, Spooky said:

I don't think there is zero chance they take a serious look at Talib. Guy knows the defense and they have a serious need at CB. There have been reports he's on the trade block and can see Denver moving on from him either way.

I'd rather target someone younger like Fuller, Breeland or Gaines.

According to Spotrac, here are the market values of some of our free agents:

Solder: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/nate-solder-7732/market-value/
Lewis: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/dion-lewis-7868/market-value/
Burkhead: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/rex-burkhead-12472/market-value/

I say only let Lewis walk with these figures. We'll have about $49.5m in cap space if we restructure both Gilmore and McCourty and cut the following:

Alan Branch
Martellus Bennett
Shea McClellin
Jordan Richards
Elandon Roberts
Philip Dorsett
Dwayne Allen
Kenny Britt
Mike GIllislee

On 1/27/2018 at 10:00 AM, Deadpulse said:

I think his perception around the league has certainly dipped since last off-season, but I still think a team is going to over pay for him. 

It's kind of ironic, but if we didn't bench him in the Super Bowl we'd probably have better odds of keeping him. Now he's leaving on a bad note and half the league saw our defense have it's worst performance of the year (and really worst performance since week 1) in a game where we decided not to play him. He looks better to other teams going out. Someone is going to pay him and I think the relationship is kind of un-salvageable at this point.

On 1/3/2018 at 5:00 PM, Hunter2_1 said:

Not sure about the financial implications, but keep the bolded. 

OT Nate Solder (age 30) 
CB Malcolm Butler (age 28)
WR Danny Amendola (age 33)
RB Dion Lewis (age 28)
RB Rex Burkhead (age 28)
CB Johnson Bademosi (age 28)
ST Matthew Slater (age 33)

OT Cameron Fleming (age 26)
ST Nate Ebner (age 29)
OT LaAdrian Waddle (age 27)

DL Ricky Jean-Francois (age 32)
RB/ST Brandon Bolden (age 28)
DL/ST Geneo Grissom (age 26)
LB Marquis Flowers (age 26)

UFA:

ST Brandon King (age 25)

ERFAs:

OL Ted Karras (age 25)

Solder and Butler going should give us a lot of wiggle room

If your having Solder walk bringing back both Fleming and Waddle may be an option

On 2/9/2018 at 2:42 PM, Elky said:

Why would going to Denver have burned bridges?  The guy went there to get paid and win a Super Bowl.  Can't blame him for that.  

On 1/3/2018 at 4:39 PM, Starless said:

OT Nate Solder (age 30) walk
CB Malcolm Butler (age 28) walk
WR Danny Amendola (age 33) retire
RB Dion Lewis (age 28) walk
RB Rex Burkhead (age 28) walk
CB Johnson Bademosi (age 28) walk
ST Matthew Slater (age 33) 2 year
OT Cameron Fleming (age 26) 1 year
ST Nate Ebner (age 29) 1 year
OT LaAdrian Waddle (age 27) walk
DL Ricky Jean-Francois (age 32) walk