The 2018 free agents: Extend? Let walk? Franchise?

Apparition

16 minutes ago, dhunt2402 said:

Sherman expected to be released today. I really hope we can make that happen, Achilles injuries aren't the end of the world even at 30.

But both of them? At the same time? That's gotta scare even the most ardent Sherman to Pats supporter

13 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

But both of them? At the same time? That's gotta scare even the most ardent Sherman to Pats supporter

"Minor surgery" for the second one -- I'd take my chances, and I doubt Bill would put much guaranteed money on the table beyond year 2.

Well, now with Sherman off the board I have absolutely no idea what Bill is gonna do with this secondary. Eric Rowe can't like up as your 2CB or Brady and the O are gonna have to put up 40+ every game. Zolak said the Pats will probably roll with the same secondary. Dont know what to think. Anyone?

4 hours ago, ashnathan said:

Well, now with Sherman off the board I have absolutely no idea what Bill is gonna do with this secondary. Eric Rowe can't like up as your 2CB or Brady and the O are gonna have to put up 40+ every game. Zolak said the Pats will probably roll with the same secondary. Dont know what to think. Anyone?

Rowe isn’t an ideal #2 CB at this point in the year, but I’m not exactly terrified. 

In 2016, his first year in NE, he caught on and did reasonably well later in the season. With help, he took on Julio and did about as good a job as any #2 could do (sans Talib or Bouye). In 2017 he missed a bunch of time and then had rough way of things. If he’s healthy, I’m comfortable with him as a boundary corner. It’s not Revis-Browner but he’s solid enough IMO. 

Jonathan Jones’ return is huge because that bumps Bademosi down the depth chart. He was played good as a slot CB until his injury. 

Not expecting much out of Cyrus Jones. Bademosi also did well when he played earlier in the season, but he’s not someone you want seeing the field too often. Most will remember him for that big missed tackle of Agholor(?). 

The draft is deep at CB so there’s a shot they nab one then, too. FA has a solid CB group. It may not stand pat as is.

7 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

The new league year hasnt even started yet. Everyone needs to calm the hell down with the doom and gloom, and I can't believe I have to say that at this point...

Agreed. 

Team will look quite different between now and week 1.

As for FA, if we manage to lose Burkhead and Lewis, how does everyone feel about Jerrick McKinnon? He had a good year as a committee/receiving back and offers a bit more dynamic speed than either of the former. May be redundant with James White, but this offense was at its best when it had both Burkhead/Lewis.

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

May be redundant with James White, but this offense was at its best when it had both Burkhead/Lewis.

I would say you answered your own question here. I have a feeling Burkhead will be back. I think he knows his best chance at playing time is here. 

10 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I would say you answered your own question here. I have a feeling Burkhead will be back. I think he knows his best chance at playing time is here. 

One can hope. 

Still think this backfield is pretty heavily lacking with only Burkhead, Gillislee, and White. May have to look to the draft for a dynamic replacement that isn’t costly.

41 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

One can hope. 

Still think this backfield is pretty heavily lacking with only Burkhead, Gillislee, and White. May have to look to the draft for a dynamic replacement that isn’t costly.

3rd round unless they add someone

Let the guy that was arguably the team's MVP during the last quarter of the year walk, but keep the guy that has been a healthy scratch practically all year??? Then again this is the guy that still refuses to explain why Malcolm Butler played zero snaps during the Super Bowl despite playing 98% of snaps during the regular season.

Archived