The 2018 free agents: Extend? Let walk? Franchise?

Apparition

14 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

In college he was a good prospect but I don't know about him anymore. Might be too small.

He's strong though. Really the only thing that attracts me to him is that he would be good depth for next to nothing while bringing a lot of football IQ

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2018 at 5:39 PM, Elky said:

Why swap out Ghost and Cooks? Ghost is still one of the best kickers and moving Cooks right after trading a first rounder for him wouldn't make much sense.

On 2/15/2018 at 7:22 PM, DoleINGout said:

Those are my ideal moves to save cap room and also find more dependable options. Gostkowski is a top kicker but ideally I would have a comparable kicker for less money. Cooks is a poor investment but I will be surprised if he is not picked up. Hopsfully he can continue to improve his all around game.

On 2/16/2018 at 12:45 AM, Elky said:

Vinatieri is a decade older and had a worse percentage in 2017 (which has steadily declined since 2014), whereas Ghost has been a 90%+ kicker in 4 of the past 5 seasons; Vinatieri has 5 90+% seasons in his entire career.

Sure, cutting him saves $3.5m, but he's worth it. We can easily create ~$50m in cap space; cutting one of the best kickers in the league just to get a tiny bit more space is asinine.

Cooks is going to get extended which will help save space. While he didn't set the world on fire (some of the offseason expectations were unreasonable), he put up similar numbers to when he was in NO, which is impressive considering it was his first year in an offense that's notoriously difficult for receivers. He can only get better and will only be 25 when the season starts. Cooks gives us a deep threat to go with Hogan and generated a ton of DPI yardage.  Everyone would call Belichick a cheapo if he replaced Cooks with a guy I had to look up.

On 2/16/2018 at 9:46 AM, DoleINGout said:

I wouldn't call Belichick cheap after trading a first round pick last year for Cooks. And Vinatieri is better in the clutch than Gostkowski. The five kicks he missed last year were in the snowstorm in Buffalo game and torrential downpouring rain game in Baltimore. Made every other kick than that including miltiple from past 50 and almost made one within inches of 60.

So ah, I'm happy I was right.

Archived