New Coordinators(If Needed)

vikings209

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

And all of the experienced OCs available are available for a reason, generally with play calling being a common complaint. 

A guy like Stefanski may be inexperienced, but he may be great. 

He may be but then what?  1 year, 2 year, and he becomes a head coach?  Seems teams love the new hot commodity.  I am just tired of the instability at the position.  I would rather get a guy with some stink on him that he has to shake off (Shurmur after Cleveland).  Someone that might stick around 3-4 years before getting plucked away.

5 minutes ago, Freakout said:

He may be but then what?  1 year, 2 year, and he becomes a head coach?  Seems teams love the new hot commodity.  I am just tired of the instability at the position.  I would rather get a guy with some stink on him that he has to shake off (Shurmur after Cleveland).  Someone that might stick around 3-4 years before getting plucked away.

I don't mean to be harsh, but if you don't want an OC in jeopardy of being hired away, you don't want to be good. The simple fact is, most of the coordinators (note: playcallers) who get hired away are leading productive units on playoff teams. So if our offensive coordinator isn't getting hired, it's probably either because the offense isn't performing well or the team as a whole isn't performing well.

Not many teams have been hiring the OC for the Browns and Bears lately.

12 hours ago, Freakout said:

I want an OC with actual play-calling experience.  Zimmer for all his positives is not an offensive guy.  I don't trust him to handle that side of the ball.  You promote Stefanski and he struggles, the team is screwed.

As most coaches will tell you, any guy can call plays.  It's not that complicated.  It's about knowing when to call a certain play...and I think Stefanski has been around enough OCs to probably pick up a thing or 2 about it.  I'm not all that concerned...would there be bumps in the road?  Certainly.  But, the guy is clearly smart enough to be able to last through as many different coaching staffs and coordinators as he has, so I think he'd figure it out pretty quickly.    

11 hours ago, Kparty15 said:

I’m going to be honest.  I don’t know a ton about him as a coordinator, but he was good enough to have two head coaching stints.  I can’t imagine that he could be any worse than Ben McAdoo.

Ben McAdoo, in his last year as the OC for the Giants, had the 6th ranked scoring offense in the entire NFL.  He must have been doing something right.  

33 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Ben McAdoo, in his last year as the OC for the Giants, had the 6th ranked scoring offense in the entire NFL.  He must have been doing something right.  

If we hired him he would definitely be here for a few years before the head coaching ranks came calling again.

33 minutes ago, disaacs said:

It also helped that was when Eli was still a pretty good QB.
He threw 35 TD's
And OBJ went off all year long.

They also only ended up with 5 rushing TD's

26 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

If he's not going to get the OC position this year with the Vikes, he probably never will. If there is fear he will leave, Zimmer is smart to talk to him about becoming an OC here and at least have that conversation. There aren't any clearly better options available so he needs to be considered a front runner for the job.

One thing that is certain with Zimmer is that he values experience when it comes to his offensive coaching staff as he seems to lean on them pretty hard allowing him to focus more on the defense and in game management. I could seem them promoting Stefanski to keep continuity offensively but I would still expect one of either McAdoo, McCoy or BeVell to take over QB coach.

Archived