New Coordinators(If Needed)

vikings209

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Lets also not forget that if Shurmur leaves, it’s not as if he up and takes his playbook with him, leaving Stefanski or whom ever to create and design their own. 

The offense has done extremely well in this system, and we’re all but certain to retain at least one of our impending free agent QBs. So, why bring in someone else and make the QB, as well as all of the other players, learn a new system?

Continuity is the bedrock of success. 

Exactly why I want Stefanski to be the next OC. Keep the system going.

If Edwards leaves, I think Zim would definitely go after Del Rio or Bradley. A former HC.

I agree that Stefanski is probably the choice at promotion from within.  As far as DC, they'd likely go outside the organization, but Jerry Gray does have experience at DC already, so he would be the in-house candidate and then they can bring in the recently fired John Butler (from the Texans) to replace Gray as DB coach.  

8 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Speaking of Jerry Gray, after seeing the turn arounds and improvements in Waynes and Mac this year, I thought that might have got him a few more DC looks this year.

I would have thought so too, but as long as he stays under the radar, the better.  

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

I am slightly getting sick of having a new OC every dang year tho tbh.

Does anyone remember the name Jack Burns?

Was looking back through the coordinator changes in team history, and he was the first OC hired by Denny Green. Was WR coach for Washington before we hired him at age 43. If I'm reading Pro Football Reference correctly, he was fired during the 1993 season and we promoted our TE coach,  40-year old Brian Billick. When Billick left after 1998, we brought back 48-year old Ray Sherman, who was the Steelers OC for a year after his 3-year stint here as QB coach. That lasted two years, and then it was 58-year old Sherman Lewis, who lasted the last two years Green was HC.

Mike Tice was hired as HC, and he hired a 38-year old college coach named Scott Linehan to his first pro job in 2002. He lasted three years, and when he left Tice promoted OL coach (shocker) Steve Loney (50) to OC. That was Tice's last year.

Brad Childress was hired and brought 36-year old Darrell Bevell with him. Bevell was QB coach with the Packers. Bevell was the only offensive coordinator Childress ever hired in his five seasons.

Leslie Frazier took over HC duties and hired Falcons QB coach Bill Musgrave (44) as OC. Like the previous regime, Musgrave was the only OC that Frazier hired.

Now we have Mike Zimmer as HC, who initially hired 62-year old Norv Turner to run the offense. As we all know by know, that lasted roughly 2.5 seasons before Turner resigned. Zimmer promoted 52-year old Pat Shurmur, who has been the OC since then.

Just thought it'd be fun to go back a ways and look at the history. Coordinators rarely last a long time at one spot, because either they perform well and get promoted or they suck and get fired. It's interesting in all that time I listed that we've never promoted our OC to head coach. Frazier (DC) and Tice (OL) were the only in-house hires. The last OC we promoted to HC was Jerry Burns, who spent 18 years as Bud Grant's offensive coordinator.

Stefanski seems like the obvious choice to me. Has stuck around here for a long time, moved all over the offense as a position coach and done well in all spots, and the continuity he'd bring would be great. Still a test for the team, though, since he is unproven in such a large roll, especially since Zim is defensive minded. Play calling would be the most interesting piece. 

Personally I think Edwards is being looked at because of the Rooney rule and he makes sense because the D has been so good. I don't think any serious team goes after him as their head coach. Everyone knows that Zimmer runs the defense to a large extent, and while Edwards has probably gleaned some of that, most of the credit will go to Zimmer. I would suspect that we promote either from within (Jerry Gray most likely) or go after someone who is a great motivator/developer but would fall in line with Zimmer's system. Bradley and Del Rio both seem like awesome options, but if he could be flexible with his scheme to match what we do, and if he doesn't take a head coaching gig, Vic Fangio would be an awesome get. He probably wouldn't be be a long term option however, because if he shows that scheme versatility and another year of success, he surely would be getting tons of head coaching opportunities.

16 hours ago, Klomp said:

Does anyone remember the name Jack Burns?

Was looking back through the coordinator changes in team history, and he was the first OC hired by Denny Green. Was WR coach for Washington before we hired him at age 43. If I'm reading Pro Football Reference correctly, he was fired during the 1993 season and we promoted our TE coach,  40-year old Brian Billick. When Billick left after 1998, we brought back 48-year old Ray Sherman, who was the Steelers OC for a year after his 3-year stint here as QB coach. That lasted two years, and then it was 58-year old Sherman Lewis, who lasted the last two years Green was HC.

Mike Tice was hired as HC, and he hired a 38-year old college coach named Scott Linehan to his first pro job in 2002. He lasted three years, and when he left Tice promoted OL coach (shocker) Steve Loney (50) to OC. That was Tice's last year.

Brad Childress was hired and brought 36-year old Darrell Bevell with him. Bevell was QB coach with the Packers. Bevell was the only offensive coordinator Childress ever hired in his five seasons.

Leslie Frazier took over HC duties and hired Falcons QB coach Bill Musgrave (44) as OC. Like the previous regime, Musgrave was the only OC that Frazier hired.

Now we have Mike Zimmer as HC, who initially hired 62-year old Norv Turner to run the offense. As we all know by know, that lasted roughly 2.5 seasons before Turner resigned. Zimmer promoted 52-year old Pat Shurmur, who has been the OC since then.

Just thought it'd be fun to go back a ways and look at the history. Coordinators rarely last a long time at one spot, because either they perform well and get promoted or they suck and get fired. It's interesting in all that time I listed that we've never promoted our OC to head coach. Frazier (DC) and Tice (OL) were the only in-house hires. The last OC we promoted to HC was Jerry Burns, who spent 18 years as Bud Grant's offensive coordinator.

What about Bob Schnelker?  :D  Also can't forget about Peyton Manning's mentor and fatherly figure of an OC in Tom Moore.  Moore played a huge part in the Vikings' offense when he came in 1990 and even lasted through Jack Burns' tenure as OC.  

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Bumping this thread. Think Shurmur takes anyone with him to NYG?

Does anyone think that after the Giants saw todays gameplan, they could recind whatever offer they had to Shurmur?

Also I heard Ben McAdo's name thrown around for our offensive coordinator job.  PLEASE NO!!!!

22 minutes ago, disaacs said:

No.  Maybe he'll take one of the newer assistants on the team (Polamalu/Barone), but I'm not sure.  

I read somewhere that he would try to bring Del Rio to New York with him. Not a Minnesota coach but someone worth talking about for those that want him here.

9 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

I read somewhere that he would try to bring Del Rio to New York with him. Not a Minnesota coach but someone worth talking about for those that want him here.

I did see that too.  That's fine and I think Del Rio would do a decent job with their defense.  Is it just me, though, or is it odd that Del Rio has 3 times as much HC experience as he does coordinating a defense?  ^_^

17 minutes ago, disaacs said:

I did see that too.  That's fine and I think Del Rio would do a decent job with their defense.  Is it just me, though, or is it odd that Del Rio has 3 times as much HC experience as he does coordinating a defense?  ^_^

Yeah I think we'll see him head coaching somewhere again after a year or two at coordinator.

Archived