What would you like to do if Denver can trade up to #4 to beat NYJ/AZ/mystery team in the QB race?

NudeTayne

QB trade up possibility  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should Denver pony up to grab the QB3 at #4 so NYJ cannot steal him away?

• Yes. Let's trade #5, Sanders and #71
    • Yes. Let's trade #5, Talib, #71, and 2019 5th
    • Hornby
    • Yes. Let's really dump some salaries and do #5, Sanders, Talib, and 2019 3rd, which will be a playoff pick
    • No. Just take Allen or Lamar.
    • No. QB can wait. Grab Barkley and develop Paxton.

Hey, horsedudes. Exploring mock draft ideas with trades and looking at players ready to be moved on from Denver whom may have some value, even if small, in a trade up. I can see #4 as the spot teams will be targeting for max value. There is no the threat of Indy or Cleveland grabbing guys at 3 and 4 so see the most likely spot for value would be #4.

**for the purpose of this theoretical, let's assume Denver makes no huge QB signing like Kurt C. We'll also assume Cleveland is amenable to a trade down**

I'm reading that Denver may want to dump Sanders's contract due to age and injury, as well as Talib for the same reasons in addition to his behavior/ locker room negative value etc. The Browns are flush in cap and could use more talent at WR & CB. I put some trade options in a poll. I'm curious if any of these scenarios are appealing. Thanks, guys! 

25 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I think you are being very unrealistic with these large pick+player+player for higher pick ideas. Guys that have been paid, and are older, hold little value in this market.

As for this, I take Barkley #5 without hesitation and simply throw all our money at a FA QB.

Iagree that these players are just throw- ins to get Cleveland to choose the small trade down instead of abigger drop that would likely net a future first. It's only one draft slot, albeit high, and we are giving the Browns a relatively high third rounder on top. Why wouldn't that be realistic? As far as FA quarterbacks, who is there worth signing who is better than a premier pick at passer? Everyone wants Cousins. I bet Washington finally signs him. He's been very good there under Gruden. McCarron etc al are likely bandages for the position. 

11 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Wouldn't pick #3 be the spot that'd be necessary to secure the 3rd QB? Who says Indianapolis isn't willing to trade back from 3. 

They might. It's just that each slot at the top adds a ton of trade value, like an extra second rounder difference, so could see teams slow playing til #4, as the Browns will have already taken a passer and thus will be more likely to listen to trade offers. Teams know we need a quarterback at #5 and will see us as the ones to jump. This is the reasoning I've gone with here. The thread could be revised, admittedly, and the compensation to the Colts could be a 2019 1st. I just see that as a bit too rich. 

• 1 month later...

My two cents worth, I believe Barkley will go #1 to Cleveland

NYG:  QB

Indy:  QB, because their is talk of Luck needing more surgery.

Cleveland:  QB

Denver:  Picking #4 QB from the crop of this year's players with #5 pick?  Just too many needs to pick a player that may turn out to be another slug.  Picking Nelson at 5 may seem too high for that position, but leaves little doubt as to the quality of the player the Bronco's would be getting.

8 hours ago, FireVanceJoseph said:

Denver should just trade up to 2 and take the best QB in the draft. This is all assuming they don't get Cousins of course. Take the 3rd best QB is another guaranteed horrible season waiting to happen.

And who is the best QB in the draft - Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen, ANOther

On 1/4/2018 at 2:35 PM, NudeTayne said:

Hey, horsedudes. Exploring mock draft ideas with trades and looking at players ready to be moved on from Denver whom may have some value, even if small, in a trade up. I can see #4 as the spot teams will be targeting for max value. There is no the threat of Indy or Cleveland grabbing guys at 3 and 4 so see the most likely spot for value would be #4.

**for the purpose of this theoretical, let's assume Denver makes no huge QB signing like Kurt C. We'll also assume Cleveland is amenable to a trade down**

I'm reading that Denver may want to dump Sanders's contract due to age and injury, as well as Talib for the same reasons in addition to his behavior/ locker room negative value etc. The Browns are flush in cap and could use more talent at WR & CB. I put some trade options in a poll. I'm curious if any of these scenarios are appealing. Thanks, guys! 

Well, you heard incorrectly on the bolded portion; Aquib Talib is very popular in the locker room. He has caused the team some headaches in terms of shooting himself in the leg and his fight with Crabtree that the media went psycho over happened because he was sticking up for a cheap shot taken on Chris Harris Jr the play prior. Might want to look at getting your facts straight. 

Secondly, on your question, the potential trades you have are far too rich for my blood. Give up a Pro Bowl player, plus one or two more picks to move up one spot? No thank you.

Lastly, I don't see either player being a draft day trade. If we move on from one or both it will be in early March to free up cap space for Cousins and other free agents. If we miss out on Cousins I think both players return this year with Talib perhaps signing an extension to lower his cap number this year and spread that money out over two or three years into the future.

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Lastly, I don't see either player being a draft day trade. If we move on from one or both it will be in early March to free up cap space for Cousins and other free agents. If we miss out on Cousins I think both players return this year with Talib perhaps signing an extension to lower his cap number this year and spread that money out over two or three years into the future.

I agree - the first action is signing Cousins - if that happens then certain dominoes will fall - if Elway fails to get Cousins then all bets are off and Plan X will come into play.

5 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Well, you heard incorrectly on the bolded portion; Aquib Talib is very popular in the locker room. He has caused the team some headaches in terms of shooting himself in the leg and his fight with Crabtree that the media went psycho over happened because he was sticking up for a cheap shot taken on Chris Harris Jr the play prior. Might want to look at getting your facts straight. 

Secondly, on your question, the potential trades you have are far too rich for my blood. Give up a Pro Bowl player, plus one or two more picks to move up one spot? No thank you.

I didn't mean he wasn't popular, just that a front office has to hold their breath with players like Talib.  A player cam be liked in the locker room and still nor be good for it. And you ignored the main part about his age and contract with risk of injury to guarantee it. I don't know why Cousins would go to Denver, so I don't think that happens and thus you guys would still possibly keep Talib and/or Sanders.

And a third round pick plus a possibly cuttable player is "too rich" for your blood to secure a QB eh. How about a 2019 7th rounder to trade up on the top five. Or maybe Cleveland could give you their third rounder to move down to five. 

*goes to look to get his facts straight*

14 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

I didn't mean he wasn't popular, just that a front office has to hold their breath with players like Talib.  A player cam be liked in the locker room and still nor be good for it. And you ignored the main part about his age and contract with risk of injury to guarantee it. I don't know why Cousins would go to Denver, so I don't think that happens and thus you guys would still possibly keep Talib and/or Sanders.

And a third round pick plus a possibly cuttable player is "too rich" for your blood to secure a QB eh. How about a 2019 7th rounder to trade up on the top five. Or maybe Cleveland could give you their third rounder to move down to five. 

*goes to look to get his facts straight*

There is a point to be made that Talib can be a bit of a headache, but I will say I think the feeling inside Dove Valley (or the UC Health Training Center, thanks, Joe Ellis) is that he is far less a problem than some in the media make him out to be. He is at that age when CBs might begin to decline but he sure showed no signs of it this year as he played at an All Pro level. I keep hearing people say they want to move on from Talib because they believe Roby is ready to start; it's logic I don't really get as Roby played 68.22% of snaps this season and as the nickle CB is for all intents and purposes a starter. I think if Talib is willing to work on his contract, like I suggested an extension to spread out his cap hit over next three or so seasons, there is a good chance he can return. I wouldn't be totally shocked to see us move on but, like I said, if we do move on it will be in the next few weeks and not as part of a draft day trade, which makes your trade proposal unrealistic. 

Why do you say "I don't know why Cousins would go to Denver"? Because Peter King, perhaps you've heard of him, thinks Cousins is coming to the Broncos. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

There is a point to be made that Talib can be a bit of a headache, but I will say I think the feeling inside Dove Valley (or the UC Health Training Center, thanks, Joe Ellis) is that he is far less a problem than some in the media make him out to be. He is at that age when CBs might begin to decline but he sure showed no signs of it this year as he played at an All Pro level. I keep hearing people say they want to move on from Talib because they believe Roby is ready to start; it's logic I don't really get as Roby played 68.22% of snaps this season and as the nickle CB is for all intents and purposes a starter. I think if Talib is willing to work on his contract, like I suggested an extension to spread out his cap hit over next three or so seasons, there is a good chance he can return. I wouldn't be totally shocked to see us move on but, like I said, if we do move on it will be in the next few weeks and not as part of a draft day trade, which makes your trade proposal unrealistic. 

Why do you say "I don't know why Cousins would go to Denver"? Because Peter King, perhaps you've heard of him, thinks Cousins is coming to the Broncos. 

I thought peter king said we are landing keenum?

Archived