What would you like to do if Denver can trade up to #4 to beat NYJ/AZ/mystery team in the QB race?

NudeTayne

QB trade up possibility  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should Denver pony up to grab the QB3 at #4 so NYJ cannot steal him away?

• Yes. Let's trade #5, Sanders and #71
    • Yes. Let's trade #5, Talib, #71, and 2019 5th
    • Hornby
    • Yes. Let's really dump some salaries and do #5, Sanders, Talib, and 2019 3rd, which will be a playoff pick
    • No. Just take Allen or Lamar.
    • No. QB can wait. Grab Barkley and develop Paxton.

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

There is a point to be made that Talib can be a bit of a headache, but I will say I think the feeling inside Dove Valley (or the UC Health Training Center, thanks, Joe Ellis) is that he is far less a problem than some in the media make him out to be. He is at that age when CBs might begin to decline but he sure showed no signs of it this year as he played at an All Pro level. I keep hearing people say they want to move on from Talib because they believe Roby is ready to start; it's logic I don't really get as Roby played 68.22% of snaps this season and as the nickle CB is for all intents and purposes a starter. I think if Talib is willing to work on his contract, like I suggested an extension to spread out his cap hit over next three or so seasons, there is a good chance he can return. I wouldn't be totally shocked to see us move on but, like I said, if we do move on it will be in the next few weeks and not as part of a draft day trade, which makes your trade proposal unrealistic. 

Why do you say "I don't know why Cousins would go to Denver"? Because Peter King, perhaps you've heard of him, thinks Cousins is coming to the Broncos. 

If Elway signs Cousins then Talib is gone - he will need the $10million. If Elway doesn't get Cousins then Elway needs the other 52 players to be the best he can get to help whoever is the QB and Talib would be a big piece (and he probably would re-work his contract). 

Elway does need to force the issue with signing Cousins so the other bits can get sorted one way or the other.

47 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

If Elway signs Cousins then Talib is gone - he will need the $10million. If Elway doesn't get Cousins then Elway needs the other 52 players to be the best he can get to help whoever is the QB and Talib would be a big piece (and he probably would re-work his contract). 

Elway does need to force the issue with signing Cousins so the other bits can get sorted one way or the other.

I agree. That's why I said in my reply to the OP that Talib will not be part of a draft trade up. 

I wouldn't trade up to #4. First of all, I'm not necessarily of the opinion QB will go 1-2. I think Cleveland *could* land a QB via draft, but who knows. The Colts will not take a QB. The Giants...it's a mixed bag. They certainly could, but they also could take an OT or Barkley and go a different direction. I don't think it's set in stone by any means. I could see Denver trading up if for some reason Rosen doesn't go by #3, but that's about it.

On 2/19/2018 at 10:12 AM, AnAngryAmerican said:

There is a point to be made that Talib can be a bit of a headache, but I will say I think the feeling inside Dove Valley (or the UC Health Training Center, thanks, Joe Ellis) is that he is far less a problem than some in the media make him out to be. He is at that age when CBs might begin to decline but he sure showed no signs of it this year as he played at an All Pro level. I keep hearing people say they want to move on from Talib because they believe Roby is ready to start; it's logic I don't really get as Roby played 68.22% of snaps this season and as the nickle CB is for all intents and purposes a starter. I think if Talib is willing to work on his contract, like I suggested an extension to spread out his cap hit over next three or so seasons, there is a good chance he can return. I wouldn't be totally shocked to see us move on but, like I said, if we do move on it will be in the next few weeks and not as part of a draft day trade, which makes your trade proposal unrealistic. 

Why do you say "I don't know why Cousins would go to Denver"? Because Peter King, perhaps you've heard of him, thinks Cousins is coming to the Broncos. 

I am with you...I know Talib probably gets cut, but man, why can't he restructure.  I like the no-fly zone as it is...I think Simmons makes the leap to star-dum next year and if the Broncos can draft a guy to replace Talib eventually, that'd be ideal to me.  

On the QB front...I think the Broncos miss out on Cousins, because the Jets will offer too much money to pass up.  I think, then, the Broncos trade up for Rosen.

What Denver want really ?

Go with the best FA or develop a rookie. A stop gap as Keenum , Taylor will not be a target when you have a fifth pick.

Go Best FA or rookie. The same for the Giants. They have the 2nd pick with a 37 years old QB and not going QB in the draft is a sucide.

Darnold: Small hands / INT..

Rosen: Caracter concern / often unjury /small  carrer 

Mayfield: Small / NFL is not NCAA / same play each game and not work in NFL

Allen: Not accurate / small college

Who is the best with these issues ?

I take Darnold or Allen

On 2/19/2018 at 11:05 AM, jolly red giant said:

Not sure I agree-- If Elway goes QB in the draft rather than FA, I'm not sure we'd give a big chunk of the CB snaps to a 32 year old veteran. Do we really think we're that close to contending?

32 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Not sure I agree-- If Elway goes QB in the draft rather than FA, I'm not sure we'd give a big chunk of the CB snaps to a 32 year old veteran. Do we really think we're that close to contending?

If you have a rookie starting then you need the best team around him to be anyway competitive - and Talib is part of a top-notch CB corps. If you start getting rid of your best players because they are over 30 then it is going to be a long season and Elway will be sacked at the end of it. if Elway signs Cousins then Talib is gone because he needs the cap space - if cousins goes elsewhere and Elway drafts a QB to be the starter then I would be shocked if Talib is cut because he is 32.

6 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

On the QB front...I think the Broncos miss out on Cousins, because the Jets will offer too much money to pass up.  I think, then, the Broncos trade up for Rosen.

Cousins is going to get paid no matter where he goes - and if he is going to get paid why go to the basket-case that is the Jets (he has just left one of those in Washington).

10 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

If you have a rookie starting then you need the best team around him to be anyway competitive - and Talib is part of a top-notch CB corps. If you start getting rid of your best players because they are over 30 then it is going to be a long season and Elway will be sacked at the end of it. if Elway signs Cousins then Talib is gone because he needs the cap space - if cousins goes elsewhere and Elway drafts a QB to be the starter then I would be shocked if Talib is cut because he is 32.

If he drafts a QB in the first round, he isn't getting sacked at the end of next year.

The only path this team has to being competitive next year is if the QB position improves drastically.

If we go young at QB - I think the rest of the 'on-the-bubble' personnel follows suit. If we go veteran at QB - we pinch pennies and we attempt to maximize immediate production at all positions.

Either way, I think Talib is out. 

22 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

No way on the bolded. It take three or four seasons like 2017 for Elway to get sacked. There's no way Ellis is going to want to the one held accountable for football decisions. The last time Ellis made a football decision it was hire McDaniels and turn the franchise to him and Xanders. And we all saw how disastrous that was. 

5 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

No way on the bolded. It take three or four seasons like 2017 for Elway to get sacked. There's no way Ellis is going to want to the one held accountable for football decisions. The last time Ellis made a football decision it was hire McDaniels and turn the franchise to him and Xanders. And we all saw how disastrous that was. 

Les Shapiro and Mike Pritchard talked about McDaniels on the Dec. 30, 2014 edition of The Sports Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpt_-d9PE3o

Les had some interesting things to share. Here's one: McDaniels tried to get Zanders fired almost immediately.

Elway isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.  People need to realize that.  The great organizations also don’t turnover GMs/VPs after a few down seasons.

Honestly, I think Elway holds the position as long as he wants.  He’s also still one of the best organization runners in the business.

There’s only been 1 Denver Bronco more important to this Franchise than Elway and that’s Pat Bowlen.  Pat and the Bowlen family also adore Elway.  Get the thought of Elway possibly being on the chopping block out of your heads because it isn’t realistic and isn’t going to happen unless Elway decides to hang it up.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Elway isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.  People need to realize that.  The great organizations also don’t turnover GMs/VPs after a few down seasons.

Honestly, I think Elway holds the position as long as he wants.  He’s also still one of the best organization runners in the business.

There’s only been 1 Denver Bronco more important to this Franchise than Elway and that’s Pat Bowlen.  Pat and the Bowlen family also adore Elway.  Get the thought of Elway possibly being on the chopping block out of your heads because it isn’t realistic and isn’t going to happen unless Elway decides to hang it up.

100% agree we lost malik Jackson and whos to say that wasn't our cap expert that made that decision? We fell victim of having late picks the last 5 years point blank. Teams like Seahawks, and Greenbay fall victims to the same thing and they have  a franchise qb. Arizona same thing with no qb and this is off the top of my head.

What is only elway is not hiring coaches to develop players, and two all of the qbs he's missed since 2012.

Archived