Most safe bet sure thing player in this draft?

Vladimir L

22 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I hope he's a 49er. We need interior line help. 

Indeed.

I recall the playoffs- when? 2011?- when the Giants were bulldozed all day by that overwhelming line you guys had, Mike Iupati and Alex Boone and Anthony Davis; it was so frustrating. I was shocked when the Giants eked out a victory- they were certainly outplayed by the niners. I thought the strength of that team, more so than Kaepernick or even those tremendous linebackers, was that crushing O-line.

For my part, I hope the Giants get Nelson. Conventional wisdom has them drafting Darnold or Rosen; I would almost rather they trade down- to Denver, at #6 maybe?- and draft Nelson, then Lamar Jackson or Baker Mayfield later. When you have a powerful O-line, it enables all the rest of the offense, running and passing, to work.

Your team? My team? Someone's going to get this guy, and I'm betting they'll be awfully happy they did! 

57 minutes ago, bzane said:

Indeed.

I recall the playoffs- when? 2011?- when the Giants were bulldozed all day by that overwhelming line you guys had, Mike Iupati and Alex Boone and Anthony Davis; it was so frustrating. I was shocked when the Giants eked out a victory- they were certainly outplayed by the niners. I thought the strength of that team, more so than Kaepernick or even those tremendous linebackers, was that crushing O-line.

For my part, I hope the Giants get Nelson. Conventional wisdom has them drafting Darnold or Rosen; I would almost rather they trade down- to Denver, at #6 maybe?- and draft Nelson, then Lamar Jackson or Baker Mayfield later. When you have a powerful O-line, it enables all the rest of the offense, running and passing, to work.

Your team? My team? Someone's going to get this guy, and I'm betting they'll be awfully happy they did! 

My dream scenario is that we manage to someone get Nelson and Price. From what I hear they can essentially be two plug and play pieces at center and guard. 

13 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Derwin James is going to establish himself as a top 3 S in the league very quickly.

Possibly but I was a little disappointed in his game this season.  Then again that very talented defense disappointed as a group as well.  James did not look quite the same as he did as a freshman, seems to not be as explosive after the injury.  Still makes some aggressive tackles which is great but his coverage ability is still some what suspect.  Surprised he did not make more plays behind the line of scrimmage this year being blitzed like he did as a freshman.  Showed a few anticipation and ball skills but was not against the top competition they faced.  In the biggest games they played he was not that great or impactful.  Be curious how he times out, promising player but before the year one could argue he was #1 or #2 prospect in the nation, not sure that is the case at all anymore.  

Got to love how physical he plays though, which is rare for a defensive back even at safety not a ton of aggressive tacklers like him out there.  

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

My dream scenario is that we manage to someone get Nelson and Price. From what I hear they can essentially be two plug and play pieces at center and guard. 

Wow, wouldn't that be a coup? Fix your O-line for the next ten years, in one draft! I might just switch allegiances if that happened.

Reminds me of something (2010):

Round Pick # Overall Name Position College
1 11 11 Anthony Davis Offensive tackle Rutgers
1 17 17 Mike Iupati Guard Idaho

13 hours ago, MNPackfan32 said:

I'll go Bradley Chubb. 

He is one of the most intelligent DE's I have ever seen. He has a motor that runs hot, plays the run very well. He also has a bunch of moves. Unless some serious red flag comes up at the combine, he seems like an incredibly safe pick.

I agree. It's Bradley Chubb. As dominant as he has been for as how long I don't think it gets any safer.

On 05/01/2018 at 8:54 PM, Classic said:

Minkah Fitzpatrick - The only 'plug and play' defensive back in the draft. He'd be my safest pick.

i think after lattimore slid so far too teams are going to be less likely to hesitate on the trigger on minkah

Archived