Most safe bet sure thing player in this draft?

Vladimir L

For me its:

RB Saquon Barkley (Penn State)

WR Antonio Callaway (Florida)

I'm 100% confident Barkley and Callaway will be perennial Pro-Bowlers that will make multiple All-Pro teams.   They are my safest bets when it comes to who I believe will be surefire elite in the league.

One name I would like us to reflect on in this thread is Aaron Curry. Once regarded as the safest player in the draft. A man who had his own suite given to him upon being drafted. A suite I sat in next to his wife and his new born child. He busted big time amongst his constant cheating and lack of commitment to getting better. 

4 hours ago, Counselor said:

One name I would like us to reflect on in this thread is Aaron Curry. Once regarded as the safest player in the draft. A man who had his own suite given to him upon being drafted. A suite I sat in next to his wife and his new born child. He busted big time amongst his constant cheating and lack of commitment to getting better. 

Cheating? What's that all about?

Yeah Curry was one of the strangest busts I'd ever seen. He was widely regarded as one of the safest prospects ever. A superb athlete with excellent fundamentals. Could stuff the run, play passing lanes, run in man-man, and blitz. No idea how he failed.

On 1/5/2018 at 2:21 PM, LuckIsGOAT said:

Roquan but it's a very weak draft

Yikes....I don't agree with either of your statements. Roquan is at least going to be a good coverage linebacker, but I wouldn't call him safe. He needs to get better against the run, specifically taking on blocks.

6 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Connor Williams 

Denzel Ward

Connor Williams is a guy I really like, but he's coming off an injury. I don't know that I'd call him safe, but I do expect him to be a very good NFL player in the mold of a Lane Johnson.

Denzel Ward is good, but I always hesitate to call cornerbacks safe. He's as safe as a corner can be, but CB's usually have a hard transition to the NFL. Luckily for Ward, he played a ton of press man in college, which will help that transition. The tough evals are usually the corners that play a ton of off zone coverage and leave us guessing if they'll be able to jam and run with NFL freaks.

Two pretty interesting choices for safest prospects in 2018. I would have never put these guys up for that distinction, but I do expect both to be very good pros.

5 hours ago, VanS said:

For me its:

RB Saquon Barkley (Penn State)

WR Antonio Callaway (Florida)

I'm 100% confident Barkley and Callaway will be perennial Pro-Bowlers that will make multiple All-Pro teams.   They are my safest bets when it comes to who I believe will be surefire elite in the league.

Man you love Antonio Callaway. I don't know how you could call someone "safe" that can't even stay on the field due to off-field incidents in college. Callaway is about as unsafe as it gets. I wouldn't even feel safe standing next to the guy, let alone coining him a safe draft pick. Callaway is a piece of crap. He might be a stud athlete and a great receiver prospect (still debatable), but he certainly isn't safe. You have to have at least solid character to get that label from me. I think Callaway would be a mid-late 1st round prospect if he were a choir boy. He's not this top 5 monster that are some are painting him out to be, in my opinion.

Maybe you aren't factoring in the off-field stuff as "safe" and are assuming this is only looking at on-field stuff, but even then...I wouldn't throw the safe label on him. He had some pretty bad drops in college, lacks #1 WR size and strength, and didn't produce like a future NFL #1 WR(can be forgiven since Florida's QB's were hilariously bad). He's a good prospect, but safe is a strange word to describe him.

Note: This is an opinion thread, so nobody's answer is wrong obviously. Just debating some of your answers is all. Should be fun to see if any of these "safe" guys end up being busts. It's "safe" to assume at least 1-2 will be out of the league in 2-3 years.

On 1/5/2018 at 1:20 AM, Iamcanadian said:

Well, IMO, Darnold will be not only the safest pick in the draft, but a real future star without a doubt!!!

If you want to say he is a future star, so be it.....it could happen.

Saying he is the safest pick in the draft is pretty comical though IMO.    Considering where he is going to be drafted, Id say he is one of the riskier picks.     If my team needed a QB and was picking top 3, I would hope my team would pass on him.   I understand why he came out, but from a football standpoint, he needed to stay in school.

Time will tell.   

49 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

If you want to say he is a future star, so be it.....it could happen.

Saying he is the safest pick in the draft is pretty comical though IMO.    Considering where he is going to be drafted, Id say he is one of the riskier picks.     If my team needed a QB and was picking top 3, I would hope my team would pass on him.   I understand why he came out, but from a football standpoint, he needed to stay in school.

Time will tell.   

I would personally never bet on a QB as the safest pick ever for a few reasons:

1. The success rate is about 50/50 for QB's taken high

2. Almost always they go to the worst team in the NFL, and sometimes that's too much to overcome. It's the chicken and the egg theory, granted, but we'll never know if guys like Archie Manning, Tim Couch, David Carr, and a host of others ever would have succeeded because of the physical and mental beating that they took.

3. That position is very dependent, moreso to a degree, on the talent around them. It kind of goes along with the point above, but Andrew Luck IMO is living proof that while a QB can get you deep into the playoffs on a lousy roster, eventually that's the ceiling due to the pounding he's taken behind that garbage OL and their defense is horrendous. His weapons are mediocre at best on top of that. While that's an extreme example, Dan Marino is the poster-child of this. I honestly believe that Dan may very well be/have been the GOAT QB if he had comparable coaching/weapons (granted Shula is one of the best coaches ever, but he's not Walsh or BB) to Joe Cool or Brady. The guy did it in a different era without much of a running game or defense, and some of his weapons weren't great after his first few years in the league.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Cheating? What's that all about?

Yeah Curry was one of the strangest busts I'd ever seen. He was widely regarded as one of the safest prospects ever. A superb athlete with excellent fundamentals. Could stuff the run, play passing lanes, run in man-man, and blitz. No idea how he failed.

Sorry. Cheating on his wife and got caught. It took quite a toll on his psyche. A lot of people didn't know about that. And he had to get out of the spotlight to fix his marriage so he didn't put in the work to be a better player. He let it slip by him.

Man you love Antonio Callaway. I don't know how you could call someone "safe" that can't even stay on the field due to off-field incidents in college. Callaway is about as unsafe as it gets. I wouldn't even feel safe standing next to the guy, let alone coining him a safe draft pick. Callaway is a piece of crap. He might be a stud athlete and a great receiver prospect (still debatable), but he certainly isn't safe. You have to have at least solid character to get that label from me. I think Callaway would be a mid-late 1st round prospect if he were a choir boy. He's not this top 5 monster that are some are painting him out to be, in my opinion.

Maybe you aren't factoring in the off-field stuff as "safe" and are assuming this is only looking at on-field stuff, but even then...I wouldn't throw the safe label on him. He had some pretty bad drops in college, lacks #1 WR size and strength, and didn't produce like a future NFL #1 WR(can be forgiven since Florida's QB's were hilariously bad). He's a good prospect, but safe is a strange word to describe him.

Note: This is an opinion thread, so nobody's answer is wrong obviously. Just debating some of your answers is all. Should be fun to see if any of these "safe" guys end up being busts. It's "safe" to assume at least 1-2 will be out of the league in 2-3 years.

Remember this is the individual who said Kamara was the best thing since sliced bread... also said Dobbs was the top QB though which is yet to be seen.

Freaking Chance Warmack! He got me good.

Chance never fooled me. You could see how slow he was getting into his pass block sets. Nelson on the other hand if he isn't all pro by year three I'll quit in the draft forum.

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Connor Williams is a guy I really like, but he's coming off an injury. I don't know that I'd call him safe, but I do expect him to be a very good NFL player in the mold of a Lane Johnson

You're either way overstating how good Connor Williams is or understating how good Lane Johnson is. Lane Johnson is an elite player, one of the best OL in the game. Connor Williams still doesn't know how to take a pass set properly yet. The two really shouldn't be compared.

3 hours ago, Counselor said:

Chance never fooled me. You could see how slow he was getting into his pass block sets. Nelson on the other hand if he isn't all pro by year three I'll quit in the draft forum.

Yeah, Warmack was never "can't miss", lots of us at the time were reminding people of that. He was a very good prospect, but many people rightfully had Larry Warford ranked higher. David DeCastro was a "can't miss" prospect just like Quenton Nelson is a "can't miss" prospect now. 

Archived