Wild Card Playoff vs Titans

Edge

20 minutes ago, DR43 said:

Do you feel he is the man to win you a super bowl?  If so, what are you basing this on?

Absolutely. Reid has his flaws as a coach, but i bet there are plenty of super bowl winning coaches who all had some flaws as well. I'm convinced that all it needs for Reid is that one run, and i'm still convinced that he will have that run that gives him the super bowl some day. I bet Reid has the passion and the desire to win one. He has the abilities to do so, all it really needs is that one run where it's not any (minor) mistakes that decide games. It's the same with QBs. They just need 3/4 really good games as well to make a successful super bowl run. Reid needs that, too and he definitely has that streak of coaching 3/4 great games in him.

2 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

NO COMMENT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/07/mike-pereira-rips-jeff-triplette-and-crew-for-horrible-performance/

I still need to understand why the Mariota strip was unchallengable. Forward progress may be so, but "player was down by contact" is challengable to the best of my knowledge..

Forward progress is a "judgement call" which isn't someing that can be challenged. I don't know how something like a ball spot, also a judgement, is but that wasn't. 

IMO the justification was just crazy. Forward progress stopped on the initial hit and he fumbled almost immediately? He wasn't tackled, he was being tackled. Qbs elude tackles all the time. If he had gotten away they would have allowed the play to continue. We got screwed. Bigly.

1 hour ago, starbarkc said:

Forward progress is a "judgement call" which isn't someing that can be challenged. I don't know how something like a ball spot, also a judgement, is but that wasn't. 

IMO the justification was just crazy. Forward progress stopped on the initial hit and he fumbled almost immediately? He wasn't tackled, he was being tackled. Qbs elude tackles all the time. If he had gotten away they would have allowed the play to continue. We got screwed. Bigly.

I wonder if the NFL will admit that their refs blew this call. This call and the 2 point conversion "forward progress" call was one of the worst calls I have ever seen. And the next day the head ref responsible for these calls retires? Something's fishy about that

2 hours ago, starbarkc said:

When they blew the play dead Mariota was still eligible to pass. He did not cross the LOS. Otherwise any play where the QB starts to move backwards should be blown dead.

6 hours ago, DR43 said:

Do you feel he is the man to win you a super bowl?  If so, what are you basing this on?

Maybe, maybe not. Takes a lot of things going right to win a superbowl. Vast majority of head coaches don't even really get close.

But he is the man to make this a damn good football team. Top 10 in NFL history in regular and post season victories. Definitely a top 10 head coach in the NFL right now. Would have to get incredibly lucky to find better.

4 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

When they blew the play dead Mariota was still eligible to pass. He did not cross the LOS. Otherwise any play where the QB starts to move backwards should be blown dead.

Have you seen the replay? He tucks to take the hit, ball comes out on impact and before he hits the ground. He wasn't scrambling. It want an "in the grasp" call. If this were how this kind of play were always called it would be nearly impossible for a fumble to occur. 

9 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

NO COMMENT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/07/mike-pereira-rips-jeff-triplette-and-crew-for-horrible-performance/

I still need to understand why the Mariota strip was unchallengable. Forward progress may be so, but "player was down by contact" is challengable to the best of my knowledge..

Nothing is able to be reviewed because once forward progress is called, the play is dead and nothing else that happens matters. 

It was a terrible call and an obvious fumble where the forward progress rule should not have been applied.

With the way this play was called, a QB could basically never fumble while being sacked. The ref definitely needed to retire.

That's simply incorrect. Because forward progress was called and the play was blown dead, Mariota would not have been allowed to run forward if he eluded the tackle.

12 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

I wonder if the NFL will admit that their refs blew this call. This call and the 2 point conversion "forward progress" call was one of the worst calls I have ever seen. And the next day the head ref responsible for these calls retires? Something's fishy about that

Absolutely agree that the first call was ridiculous. Just a terrible call. Still baffled as to how they didn't review the Kelce fumble either, but that was just an atrocious crew that had no business deciding a playoff game.

The 2-point conversion one was pretty obviously the right call. Contact was made with Marcus at the 14 yardline, he was fully in the grasp for 13 yards before the "fumble" happened. I mean, the last four yards he was literally facing the wrong way and was getting thrown to the ground. If that wasn't in the grasp with forward progress stopped, they might as well just get rid of the rule. The refs were blowing him down a full second and a half to two seconds before the ball came out. I get the frustration though, hearing that rule used twice and taking points off the board is pretty brutal. Even if the second one was correct.

With that said, even if the first fumble was called, and we give the touchdown to the Chiefs, at most it's a 3-point swing. Because the Chiefs went down and scored before the half after the Titans kicked that FG. That possession almost certainly wouldn't have happened if the Chiefs have to kickoff to the Titans with about two minutes to go before the half. Had KC not gotten it to 21-3 before the break, that would definitely be something to point to as a gigantic moment and huge mistake. With the KC touchdown, it was still a horrendous call, but not some massive 10-point swing like I've seen some mention.

On 1/6/2018 at 7:02 PM, Jakuvious said:

Crazy how by reflex he regressed to old habits when it mattered. Back to the 0 yard scrambles when his first read wasn't there. I just hope he didn't hurt his trade value.

All in on Mahomes next year.

Alex tossed 2 TD's and had no picks. Alex wasn't the problem. T.Hill dropped pass after pass. Playground kids catch what he dropped. Alex didn't call the plays. I don't think Nagy called many plays either. Playcalling had the marks of Andy Reid. Chiefs have the NFL's premier RB and didn't use him enough.

Also, Mahomes won't fix the defense or replace Sutton.

22 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I think you guys would be crazy to can Reid. He is un the upper class of HC's imho.

He USED to be. Andy can draw up plays for sure. He's grown terrible at deciding when to use them. You don't hire someone to be HC just because he can draw plays in the dirt with a stick.

15 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Alex tossed 2 TD's and had no picks. Alex wasn't the problem. T.Hill dropped pass after pass. Playground kids catch what he dropped. Alex didn't call the plays. I don't think Nagy called many plays either. Playcalling had the marks of Andy Reid. Chiefs have the NFL's premier RB and didn't use him enough.

Also, Mahomes won't fix the defense or replace Sutton.

Smith wasn’t  the only problem, but he definitely was part of the problem.  3 and 9 on a season ending possession and he stared straight at the DL RIGHT after the snap.  Didn’t even make it to his first progression before abandoning the play.  Not saying the play calling was good, but no play will work when your QB is doing something that. 

Agreed on the D and Sutton.

Archived