Wild Card Playoff vs Titans

Edge

18 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

He USED to be. Andy can draw up plays for sure. He's grown terrible at deciding when to use them. You don't hire someone to be HC just because he can draw plays in the dirt with a stick.

And lets face it he had to suspend Peters to sorta get control of the team again.  Why did he wait so long?  He lost this team mid season.

10 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Absolutely agree that the first call was ridiculous. Just a terrible call. Still baffled as to how they didn't review the Kelce fumble either, but that was just an atrocious crew that had no business deciding a playoff game.

The 2-point conversion one was pretty obviously the right call. Contact was made with Marcus at the 14 yardline, he was fully in the grasp for 13 yards before the "fumble" happened. I mean, the last four yards he was literally facing the wrong way and was getting thrown to the ground. If that wasn't in the grasp with forward progress stopped, they might as well just get rid of the rule. The refs were blowing him down a full second and a half to two seconds before the ball came out. I get the frustration though, hearing that rule used twice and taking points off the board is pretty brutal. Even if the second one was correct.

With that said, even if the first fumble was called, and we give the touchdown to the Chiefs, at most it's a 3-point swing. Because the Chiefs went down and scored before the half after the Titans kicked that FG. That possession almost certainly wouldn't have happened if the Chiefs have to kickoff to the Titans with about two minutes to go before the half. Had KC not gotten it to 21-3 before the break, that would definitely be something to point to as a gigantic moment and huge mistake. With the KC touchdown, it was still a horrendous call, but not some massive 10-point swing like I've seen some mention.

I agree the Kelce fumble should've been looked at. It was close enough that the refs have to look at it to see if he was down or not. Why they didn't was beyond me. On the 2 point conversion play, I don't understand why the ref would blow the whistle that early when Mariota was fighting with the Chiefs defender to break free of the tackle. Who's to say that Mariota doesn't break free and throws a completion (Eli Manning style) for the two points?

All in all, I hate that we don't know the punishment for refs botching games like this. I hope the league reviews this "forward progress" rule and gets rid of it. Every play should be reviewable.

In boxing you over turn the results but not sure that would work in the NFL.  Replaying the match wouldn't always be fair for example, Kelcie.  Also it would  change the schedule.  I hate to say it be the NFL needs more Cameras/Angels and pros who can make a call that are not ON THE FIELD.  Any play should be reviewable/challengeable.  NFL needs to get their crap together.

47 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

Smith wasn’t  the only problem, but he definitely was part of the problem.  3 and 9 on a season ending possession and he stared straight at the DL RIGHT after the snap.  Didn’t even make it to his first progression before abandoning the play.  Not saying the play calling was good, but no play will work when your QB is doing something that. 

Agreed on the D and Sutton.

Not to mention those plays where the pressure wasn't even on and Alex panicked and ran right into the defensive line. Soon as the zone blitz started getting ANY success he was shell shocked. I like Alex, the man AND the player, but it's his weakness. 

4 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

All in all, I hate that we don't know the punishment for refs botching games like this. I hope the league reviews this "forward progress" rule and gets rid of it. Every play should be reviewable.

As a fan of a team that has had more than its share of game-changing calls go against them, I'm all in favor of more transparency with the punishment for officials. This crew was notably bad all year, the fact that they were rewarded with a playoff game is a solid indicator that the punishments for being bad at their job is pretty light. 

I think the forward progress rule needs to exist, because you can have defenders holding a player up so others can come and rip the ball, which can get pretty dangerous. I agree that they need to make it reviewable though. That first Mariota "fumble" could be looked at and pretty much anyone can recognize there was no way the forward progress rule applied. On the second one, I still think it was fine. I may have been mad if Mariota had escaped and the play was blown dead, but the whistles were coming in loud as he was being whipped backwards, facing the wrong way,. At the very least, the application of the rule was clear and pretty accurate. I don't know if it's much of a story if not for the rule being incorrectly used earlier in the game.

59 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

As a fan of a team that has had more than its share of game-changing calls go against them, I'm all in favor of more transparency with the punishment for officials. This crew was notably bad all year, the fact that they were rewarded with a playoff game is a solid indicator that the punishments for being bad at their job is pretty light. 

I think the forward progress rule needs to exist, because you can have defenders holding a player up so others can come and rip the ball, which can get pretty dangerous. I agree that they need to make it reviewable though. That first Mariota "fumble" could be looked at and pretty much anyone can recognize there was no way the forward progress rule applied. On the second one, I still think it was fine. I may have been mad if Mariota had escaped and the play was blown dead, but the whistles were coming in loud as he was being whipped backwards, facing the wrong way,. At the very least, the application of the rule was clear and pretty accurate. I don't know if it's much of a story if not for the rule being incorrectly used earlier in the game.

This was not a standing crew, this was a hodgepodge of several crews - and that may be the issue. Triplette had only one of his usual crew with him. Stupid thing to do to break up established crews for the playoffs.

1 hour ago, KC_Guy said:

This was not a standing crew, this was a hodgepodge of several crews - and that may be the issue. Triplette had only one of his usual crew with him. Stupid thing to do to break up established crews for the playoffs.

Ah, makes sense. Granted, I'm not sure I'd want Triplette calling a game normally, but yeah, that kind of makes it worse. Also speaks to the NFL problem, if they don't have enough full crews that are deemed good enough to call a playoff game.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed on the game sealing first down but I didn't catch the first one. Revis I hope got roasted by teammates for these.

*For the record the whole D sucked come second half but this was ridiculous and should tell the staff all they need about Revis if they had any thoughts of bringing him back somehow.

http://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/07/did-darrelle-revis-quit-on-the-team-during-the-playoff-loss/

FYI,

Kevin Seifert NFL Nation 

Confirmed: NFL referee Jeff Triplette is retiring, as the NFL Network reported. Triplette has been a referee since 1999 and certainly had an eventful final game. His performance in Saturday night's wild-card game in Kansas City led what former NFL officiating chief Mike Pereira said was a "horrible" start to the playoffs.

Archived