Patriots - End of an Era?

Nick_gb

I know this is the Green Bay Packers forum. However, I can't tell you how many times during an offseason the Packers FO is compared to the Patriots FO and way of doing things and this is why I'm making it a topic because this article was deemed a must read by rotoworld as signs are pointing that this season is the last season BB / Brady and Kraft will be together with the likely ousting of BB. Here's a glimpse of what rotoworld said and a hyperlink to the actual article. 

After a months-long dive into the Patriots' 2017 dynamics, ESPN's Seth Wickersham reports there is "a palpable sense in the building that this might be the last year together for this group."

In a remarkable article, Wickersham reports that coach Bill Belichick was essentially forced into trading Jimmy Garoppolo by Tom Brady and owner Robert Kraft, and that Brady's personal trainer Alex Guerrero has created friction with wide-ranging effects. Wickersham came away convinced that this could be Belichick's final season in New England. A "clear the air" meeting between the big three was reportedly scheduled and then canceled in December. It is now expected to take place after the postseason. The whole article, which can be found at the link below, needs to be read.

Beginning of the end

With that said, does this change anyone's opinion on whether they would want MM to stay this season? Assuming that BB has any interest in continuing his coaching career? 

Brady and Kraft are effing retarded if they force Belichick out, and if Belichick leaves and wants to coach for ten more years, I would fire McCarthy and everybody so fast just for a chance to send Belichick a text to see if he was interested in Green Bay. 

I really hate ESPN for doing this because the Patriots play better the more adversity they deal with.

What were they supposed to do with Jimmy G, exactly? His contract was expiring at the end of this year and they dealt him for as much as they could at the last second. That situation is just like what could have happened in Green Bay in 2008 with Favre unretiring and Rodgers going into the season on his last year.

1 minute ago, ugLymayNe said:

What were they supposed to do with Jimmy G, exactly? His contract was expiring at the end of this year and they dealt him for as much as they could at the last second. That situation is just like what could have happened in Green Bay in 2008 with Favre unretiring and Rodgers going into the season on his last year.

If they were fully confident that he was their future franchise QB you do the same damn thing we did and let go of the old man and ride the youth. I wouldn't ever want to be in charge of an organization that has to make that kind of decision though. Bradys play has to fall off in the next couple years, we will see if they can find a replacement.

15 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

If they were fully confident that he was their future franchise QB you do the same damn thing we did and let go of the old man and ride the youth. I wouldn't ever want to be in charge of an organization that has to make that kind of decision though. Bradys play has to fall off in the next couple years, we will see if they can find a replacement.

I agree, but it's different than the Packers' situation because the old man didn't retire and give them an easy out. They should have just traded Jimmy in the offseason but apparently....

That's huge and I guess what ties the whole situation together, but it's not like the contract was accepted.

I've heard people on these forums dream about trades and drafts and bloody firings galore - and only because lynching seemed the implausible option.  I always feel that firings suck, mostly because the odds of finding someone better never are as good as we want them to be.  

But I have a dream, too.  Make it happen, Packers: a live Packers conference with reporters asking questions to both Ted Thompson and Bill Belichick.  Amen.

I couldn't believe it when the 49ers traded for Garoppolo, because it was insane (yes, insane) to dump a QB of Garoppolo's talent, when their starter was going to be 41 before the 2018 season started.

If Belichek was double-teamed by the owner and TB, to dump Garoppolo, then a one-and-done season for Belichek at the Pats is very likely. Given how darn difficult it is to find an upper-level NFL QB, the Pats may just have condemned themselves to a period of years where they are utterly irrelevant when playoffs come around, a time when outsiders refuse to come to NE because it is a dumpster fire.

Stupid, stupid owner and "it's all about me, screw the team" Brady. How can a billionaire (the owner) be so dense ?

Oh and I thought StinkySauce's comment on the press interviewing Ted and Belichek conjured up a great image...............

6 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I couldn't believe it when the 49ers traded for Garoppolo, because it was insane (yes, insane) to dump a QB of Garoppolo's talent, when their starter was going to be 41 before the 2018 season started.

If Belichek was double-teamed by the owner and TB, to dump Garoppolo, then a one-and-done season for Belichek at the Pats is very likely. Given how darn difficult it is to find an upper-level NFL QB, the Pats may just have condemned themselves to a period of years where they are utterly irrelevant when playoffs come around, a time when outsiders refuse to come to NE because it is a dumpster fire.

Stupid, stupid owner and "it's all about me, screw the team" Brady. How can a billionaire (the owner) be so dense ?

Oh and I thought StinkySauce's comment on the press interviewing Ted and Balichek conjured up a great image...............

If indeed Kraft forced BB's hand this is more evidence why our situation without a meddling owner is such a plus!  

Just a very interesting read.

I'm thinking this....you don't go into the woods with a stick to poke the bear.  You go into the woods with a large gun to kill the bear.

That article poked the bear that is BB and TB.  

While part of me wants them to implode and exit the playoffs early, I have a strong feeling that this will unite them.

We shall see soon enough.

Archived