Patriots - End of an Era?

Nick_gb

38 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

San Francisco went from a 1-10 team to a 6-10 team once Garoppolo came on board. Five wins on the bounce. Try telling 49ers fans that is meaningless, and you will get laughed off their forum !

Expect Jimmy G to get a $20m per year type contract - that is how badly the 49ers will want him.

This except I wouldn't be surprised if his contract was $25m+ AAV. Nothing more valuable than a youngish franchise QB and each time a new one signs a contract the market seems to get reset. It's not much data to go off of but the small amount we've seen puts JG in very good company. Try telling someone in that position he hasn't proven it yet and he'll gladly hit the market and take the windfall half the league will be willing to offer him based on just the possibility he can keep up the level of play he's showed so far.

Jimmy deserves every cent he gets above kirk cousins, but that's where I'd slot him right now... firmly above cousins.

Goff is a bit of an illusion with that scheme they have and Gurley being the major threat.  Wentz is head and shoulders above Jimmy, as are guys like Cam Newton.

Jimmy has an injury history and a few great games under his belt, and threw 7 TDs and 5 INTs in 5 starts for SF.  I mean, the guy could still turn into Jay Cutler, who threw 9 TDs and 5 INTs in his 5 starts as a rookie.  I don't think he will based on what I've seen, but I was also excited for Cutler at the same stage of his career.

Everyone is looking for the next QB, and for good reason.  Just because SF is gonna pay him a bunch of money doesn't mean it's not a risky proposition that could fail.  Everyone has seen enough to see that Jimmy is worth the risk, but it's still up to him to deliver over the next 4-6 years.

Oh absolutely it's a huge risk- didn't mean to imply otherwise- but it's the risk that struggling teams pray for in this league. Half the league wishes they were in the position to bet their next five years on Jimmy G. The way the NFL is right now I'm not sure teams wouldn't pay him $25M+ for five years if you told them there was a 25% chance of getting Matt Ryan, and a 75% of getting Jay Cutler.

I remember a team trading a 1st for a former 2nd rounder who was 3rd on the depth chart, had no starts and was kind of a showboat head case.  Seems to have worked out ok for them.  If you have someone who you believe is a potential franchise QB, you have to make a considerable investment to get-retain him.

22 minutes ago, Acrid Josher said:

Oh absolutely it's a huge risk- didn't mean to imply otherwise- but it's the risk that struggling teams pray for in this league. Half the league wishes they were in the position to bet their next five years on Jimmy G. The way the NFL is right now I'm not sure teams wouldn't pay him $25M+ for five years if you told them there was a 25% chance of getting Matt Ryan, and a 75% of getting Jay Cutler.

100%.

It's crazy how everyone is talking about him like he's Alex Smith at worst, Tony Romo in the most likely scenario, and Peyton Manning at best.  At the same time, he's totally worth the money.  It's why I'm always in favor of trading up for a QB if you don't have one because it moves the needle so so much. 

Eagles and Rams looking good from that standpoint, and I'd expect that Houston and KC are happy with where they are at also.

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

If you think the 49ers gained nothing this year, you just don't think like I do. They may not have made the playoffs (which is probably your point), but Jimmy G's impact on that whole franchise is huge. For starters they don't go the vet QB route they might have gone, nor do they need to draft a starting QB. They will pay big for him,  they have to since he'll be a free agent, but a good QB is (almost) beyond price, even moreso to a franchise that hasn't had one for a while.

Yes, decent QBs are few and far between.  

15 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Brady and Kraft are effing retarded if they force Belichick out, and if Belichick leaves and wants to coach for ten more years, I would fire McCarthy and everybody so fast just for a chance to send Belichick a text to see if he was interested in Green Bay. 

I really hate ESPN for doing this because the Patriots play better the more adversity they deal with.

I agree but truly doubt that they would oust BB. That would be a colossal mistake. It would be awesome to have BB but it aint going to happen. If I was Kraft I would send Brady packing long before Bill. The Bellichick Patriots are like the Parcells Giants. They are a Super Bowl contender with any decent starting QB in the league. Sure Brady has won 5 Super Bowls but the Patriots have given him a Top 10 ranked scoring defense in 12 of his 16 seasons as a starter and all of those Super Bowl wins were very close victories involving not only heroics from Brady but also some key defensive plays.

8 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Jimmy deserves every cent he gets above kirk cousins, but that's where I'd slot him right now... firmly above cousins.

Goff is a bit of an illusion with that scheme they have and Gurley being the major threat.  Wentz is head and shoulders above Jimmy, as are guys like Cam Newton.

Jimmy has an injury history and a few great games under his belt, and threw 7 TDs and 5 INTs in 5 starts for SF.  I mean, the guy could still turn into Jay Cutler, who threw 9 TDs and 5 INTs in his 5 starts as a rookie.  I don't think he will based on what I've seen, but I was also excited for Cutler at the same stage of his career.

Everyone is looking for the next QB, and for good reason.  Just because SF is gonna pay him a bunch of money doesn't mean it's not a risky proposition that could fail.  Everyone has seen enough to see that Jimmy is worth the risk, but it's still up to him to deliver over the next 4-6 years.

I totally agree. We've seen hot starts by teams and then they fall apart. We've seen QBs look really good at first then fall apart. He threw an INT in 4 of the 5 games he's started and didn't throw multi TDs without an INT in any of his starts. Its a little premature to pretend that we are looking at one of the next elite QBs. He could be a flash in the pan for all we know. Jay Cutler had 9 TDs and 5 INTs in his first 5 starts and looked like the next great QB. When Rodgers got his turn it was very evident that he was going to be an elite QB. He had 9 TDs and 4 INTs the first 5 starts of his career along with two 3 TD games.

Just now, Sasquatch said:

My barber just called out the craziest forecast of the day - Bellicheat leaves for the Giants, Ball is hired as GM, leading to AR’s departure to the Giants.  And yes, he’s a Giants fan, LOL.

Did your barber tell you which two first round picks (minimum) the Giants sent our way to get Rodgers, or does he think we'll forget to re-sign him? 

The NFL fan in me detached from being a Packer fan would love to see Rodgers and Belichick.  I legitimately think they would win at least three Super Bowls in a row.  Would love to see the Patriots fans collectively crap their pants when that happened. 

39 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Did your barber tell you which two first round picks (minimum) the Giants sent our way to get Rodgers, or does he think we'll forget to re-sign him? 

The NFL fan in me detached from being a Packer fan would love to see Rodgers and Belichick.  I legitimately think they would win at least three Super Bowls in a row.  Would love to see the Patriots fans collectively crap their pants when that happened. 

Agreed on both accounts.  Maybe GB should just hire BB as coach/GM!

27 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

What I wouldn’t give for BB in GB. A Belichick defense to team with Rodgers? Man oh man would that be something. 

Not only that but an offensive scheme that actually gets guys open and doesn't force Rodgers to hold onto the ball for 5+ seconds and take big hits. Everytime I watch the Patriots they always have guys open and Brady rarely has to make any tough throws.

Archived