Texans GM Search Thread

Texansfan713

So far these are the names that have sufficed around that the Texans will most likely interview next week.

Joe Douglas- Eagles Vice President of player personnel

Will McClay- Cowboys vice president of player personnel

Brian Gaine- Bills vice president of player personnel

Nick Caseio- Patriots vice president of player personnel

Jimmy Raye- Texans assistant GM/vice president of football operations

Brian Gutekunst- Packers director of player personnel

have to think if it's JRIII then RS is coming back... I don't think any of the others take the job for just a year (then again, they could use it as a stepping stone)

it has to be an enticing offer:

(1) Over $50M in cap space before any restructurings (Watt, Nuk) or cuts (Cush, Newton) or trades (KJax)

(2) attractive destination city for FAs with no state income tax

(3) No 1st or 2nd round picks, but plenty of ammo to move up (if desired)

(4) QB set

(5) fix the Oline (Solder?) & the secondary (Joyner + Fuller?) and you look like a genius

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

Joe Douglas- Eagles Vice President of player personnel

@amazingandre has been pretty gung ho about this guy. Can take a quick look at the Eagles and see his impact pretty quickly.

Brian Gaine- Bills vice president of player personnel

Familiarity is there, but...I mean, he was here when we went all in on Osweiler and Allen, so is he good?

Jimmy Raye- Texans assistant GM/vice president of football operations

Much of the same. Hard pass.

Nick Caserio- Patriots vice president of player personnel

Works well with O'Brien, and the Belicheck tree of GMs is much more successful (Scott Pioli did good work in KC, Thomas Dimitrioff is doing great work in Atlanta) and Caserio has been a hot name for a few years, but turned down offers from others. Maybe Houston should be his new home?

51 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

have to think if it's JRIII then RS is coming back... I don't think any of the others take the job for just a year

I've seen this about RS coming back to the GM spot. I was under the impression that he's coming back to his VP position and that the GM position was if needed. Maybe I read it wrong.

At the risk of sounding like a whiny fan that pouts when the team doesn't fire someone they don't like, threatening to be "done with this team" but not really following through... If Rick Smith comes back as GM, I will be at the very least be investing more time and money in the Panthers if not dropping the Texans altogether.

1 minute ago, shep0507 said:

I've seen this about RS coming back to the GM spot. I was under the impression that he's coming back to his VP position and that the GM position was if needed. Maybe I read it wrong.

That's my interpretation as well. This GM will be THE GM. If Rick comes back (which I highly doubt, despite what he said) it's as VP of football operations. 

I think the league calls Smith for a job before he'd come back to Houston. He's always been in tight with various levels at the league office, so him saying "I'm coming back" is read between the lines for "I'm still available for certain jobs, holler at me for my resume."

2 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

That's my interpretation as well. This GM will be THE GM. If Rick comes back (which I highly doubt, despite what he said) it's as VP of football operations. 

I think the league calls Smith for a job before he'd come back to Houston. He's always been in tight with various levels at the league office, so him saying "I'm coming back" is read between the lines for "I'm still available for certain jobs, holler at me for my resume."

I hope you're right. I don't really want to jump to the Panthers "bandwagon", because the Texans are far and away one of my passions, but I "refuse" to spend years of watching Ricky screw up basic roster building, drafting and free agent signing so badly and never having to deal with the consequences for being such an incompetent doof.

Moving on to the Panthers would be a marriage of convenience for me...I MIGHT learn to love them, but I'm always going to be stuck on "that other girl".

I want to fill the role now, but I want to be patient - so I think your best course of action is to let the Eagles and Patriots end their respective seasons to interview Douglas, Ossenfort and Caserio.

If they just give the job to Jimmy Raye simply because they couldn't interview anyone else, I'll be LIVID.

3 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I want to fill the role now, but I want to be patient - so I think your best course of action is to let the Eagles and Patriots end their respective seasons to interview Douglas, Ossenfort and Caserio.

If they just give the job to Jimmy Raye simply because they couldn't interview anyone else, I'll be LIVID.

Bizarre - with coaches, you only need permission for lateral moves, not promotions.  I guess front office is different, but there is absolutely no reason a 2 - 4 week delay in interviewing should make one ounce of difference considering we hired our last GM in June, 2 months AFTER the draft and he lasted 12 years.  You hire the right guy, not the first guy. Personally, Gutekunst is still my guy, but we absolutely need to interview Caserio and Douglas before making a decision.

Crap, was hoping they'd pick Russ Ball who is their contracts/cap guy and was thought to be the frontrunner.   Gee, seems everyone realizes that good GM's need to come from a scouting background, not paper pushers/spreadsheet jockey's like lil Ricky.  Bumping Gut leapfrogs both Ball and Elliot Wolf in the pecking order, so both will be very likely looking elsewhere although I have reservations on both.  Alonzo Highsmith is also mentioned as an up and comer from the scouting side and with a Houston connection as a former Oiler (as if that means anything), but we don't need any more on the job training around here.  Have to admit, one of my ulterior motives for getting Gut was the possibility of getting Mike McArthy down the road since he and Ball have a known strained relationship (with McCarthy sick of seeing good players walk out the building and not filling holes in FA), so the Gut hire likely also means McCarthy is sticking around for the long haul.

BTW - These Packers FO guys are getting so much love because it has been pretty clear to many that Ted Thompson has not been "all there mentally" going back to their last Super Bowl run, so these guys have been running the show almost by committee. Really, their "build thru the draft rosters" have been impressive, but they'd likely have a few more Titles in Titletown had they been a bit more aggressive in FA and we absolutely have to grab some FA talent (4-5 starters plus upside depth) this offseason.      

Archived