• OT - Taylor Lewan
  • DE - Jurrell Casey
  • P - Brett Kern

And an additional 7 alternates:

• QB - Marcus Mariota
  • TE - Delanie Walker
  • OT - Jack Conklin
  • Edge - Brian Orakpo
  • FS - Kevin Byard (elected as starter by fans)
  • KR/PR - Adoree Jackson
  • STs - Brynden Trawick

PFF have already released their All Pro Teams, naming two (2) Titans to the PFF All Pro Teams:

• Kevin Byard - 1st Team Flex D (essentially who they'd bring in a Nickel package)
    • Elite Stat: Byard ranked No. 3 in yards allowed per coverage snap (0.52) among safeties targeted at least 40 times in 2017.

Tennessee’s Kevin Byard had a season to remember, snagging a pair of interceptions in the final regular season game to vault himself back to a tie for the league-lead, a position he had held for most of the year. Byard wasn’t just about the interceptions, though. He became a genuine force in coverage for the Titans in their free safety role within the defense. He also has seven pass breakups over the course of the year, a figure that also ties for the league-lead among safeties.

• Brett Kern - 2nd team punter
    • [Kern should be a 1st teamer... he led the NFL in net and gross average... Morstead over him makes no sense whatsoever... their reasoning is he apparently set the bar with kicks inside the 20... failing to mention he ranked 21st in the NFL in punts inside the 20... and even in % of punts inside the 20, he was 5th... again, makes no sense]

I just don’t understand the reasoning for Byard and Kern not 1st team at their positions. Byard has had a damn good year even without the picks. He does a lot for this defense the people don’t see. He lines up with TEs, at CB, nickel, deep, in the box, etc. Versatility is his middle name. A lot of people bashed the pick when it happened but I loved it. He’s becoming one of the great safeties in this league even as just a 2nd year player. I think he can be perennial pro bowler who is getting 4-6 picks a year. As far as Kern, no punter has been better or even close to him this year.

The easy one is Kern.  He's has been the best punter in the NFL.  Best gross and net averages... what else does anyone need?  He was selected as the starter for the AFC... PFF can't begin to justify how they selected who they selected... and I'll be shocked if he isn't selected to the 1st team AP All Pro team.   

Byard did get first team with PFF... fans also voted him a starter to the PB, but that's only a 3rd of the vote... coaches and players didn't agree... it'd be interesting to know why.  Weddle, Jones, and Hyde definitely have name recognition over Byard, but that usually affects fan voting more so than player and coaches voting... its odd.

Personally, I didn't think he was having the kinda season warranting all these awards.  Yes, the picks are nice... a breath of fresh air... and they've been impactful.  But I've also seen a lot of blown coverages on his part.  I don't know how PFF determines who was on coverage on certain plays, but there were a few times I saw a wide open TD scored on a guy I thought was Byard's responsibility (with PFF not penalizing him for it in the post game analysis).  But the interceptions and pass break up stats alone warrant a definite pro bowl bid. I think most Titans fans were aware of his name during last draft season.  I would be surprised if less than 50% had him on their mocks (and I think that number is actually way higher... 80% maybe).  We all knew/saw that pick coming, and were mostly for it.  

As far as the all pro team, it's hard to argue against Smith.  I'be watched the Vikings more than a few times this year... they're a fun D to watch... and Harrison is awesome... a standout and the best player in a defense full of standouts.  I just don't know if there was a player on D who played better than him.  Even though we share the Titan fan club location with the Bears fan club, I can honestly say, I never once paid attention to the Bears or any of their players (except for Trubisky and Howard a couple times).  Maybe Amos is that good, maybe not... but Byard is still made the 1st team there, so it's not that big a deal 

With a safety and blown coverage its hard to tell if hes the one who left a guy wide open in his zone or if someone else missed an assignment and hes attempting to get to their zone. I'm sure he allowed some plays, but I do remember fairly early in the season fans criticism of a TD that it was his fault, when to me it looked like it was cover 3 and the CB never dropped into his deep zone.

Only the coaches will know.

AP All Pro:

• Lewan was 3rd for LTs with 5 votes
  • Conklin was 4th for RTs with 2 votes... and Lewan received another vote as the RT (wtf?!?!)
  • Byard made the first team alongside Harrison... receiving 12 votes (Harrison received 45, Earl Thomas was next with 11)
  • Byard received an additional 4 votes as a DB... Ryan received 1 vote as a DB (none as a CB)
  • Kern was 2nd to Hekkler (17 votes to 30)
    • While I'd take Kern, Hekkler makes sense as well.  He finished 2nd, 0.3 yards behind Kern in net average... He was also 4th in gross (47.9) and 3rd in % of punts landed inside the 20 (46.2% vs 37.5% for Kern)

Bummer for Kern. Hekker gets the nod being on a better team I guess. No real other way to sort that one out.

I'd like to see some kind of advanced stats on flipping the field. Kern was unreal this year punting deep inside his own territory and have the other team start inside their own 30 or so. With how crap our offense was he legitimately kept us in a few games that a lesser punter may have not been able to replicate. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think I started the backlash with the NFL Pro Bowl jerseys (I know there were more but I’ve been tweeting them for days about the jerseys and tagging the Titans in it so fans probably picked up on it)

It is sad though they disrespect the Titans like this. I sent them another tweet saying the XFL will sell their stars jerseys when it’s time 

Archived