Offseason/Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

19 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Great to hear some young secondary players are stepping up. Jerome is winning me over with every passing day. 

Same here - him, Breida, and Hikutini were the three undrafted guys I am most looking forward to. 

However, remember the caveat - pads go on for the first time tomorrow. That's when performance starts to matter a bit more. 

Certainly good to see Earl Mitchell's name as being tough to block in one-on-one situations since he'll need to beat guys one-on-one or command double teams in the run game. MOre happy to see Tank Carradine's name popping up repeatedly. I don't remember that from previous camps. 

-Are the 49ers happy about the big day on offense, or pausing for concern because the secondary looks overwhelmed? I would guess the latter. It’s been a rough start to camp for Dontae Johnson and Keith Reaser at second cornerback. Goodwin has exposed both, and Sunday undrafted receivers like Kendrick Bourne and Victor Bolden Jr. were doing the same. Meanwhile, third-round pick Ahkello Witherspoon’s development is going slower than expected. He’s yet to take a first-team rep. I don’t want to keep harping on this point, but an injury to Rashard Robinson would be devastating for this 49ers defensive backfield.

Aaron Lynch was also disruptive as a pass rusher and is off to a very strong start of camp. Elvis Dumervil was having his way against the 350-pound Trent Brown. DeForest Buckner was mirroring ball carriers in the run game. It was a strong day for pass rushers.

-Tim Hightower had another solid day working as the second-string running back. And while all the hoopla has been about rookies Joe Williams and Matt Breida this offseason, Hightower is not going away. Shanahan told us he tried to sign Hightower both in Cleveland and Atlanta — exactly why Hightower views this chance with the 49ers as a golden opportunity. Hightower opened the 2011 season as Shanahan’s starting running back in Washington and was off to a blazing start before tearing up his knee. The fact that Shanahan still coveted Hightower after all these years means something to the 31-year-old

http://www.knbr.com/2017/07/30/49ers-camp-observations-offense-torches-secondary-armstead-shines/

Good to hear Lynch is having a strong camp. Not good to see our secondary getting torched but when Brock got released, most of us figured the secondary would struggle or at least have some rough moments. And it doesn't help that Ward injured his hammy.

So to the question of who the back up to Hyde will be? Looks like Hightower has the upper hand at the moment.

Love hearing the news about Foster, Armstead, Tank, and Lynch. We need that pass rush so badly. It would be particularly great if Tank and Armstead had some breakout campaigns this year. 

@J-ALL-DAY With that news about Johnson/Reaser struggling (not altogether surprised...did not have high hopes for either long-term), and Lorenzo Jerome always finding his way to the ball, I wonder if we might see Jerome at FS and moving Ward back to CB at some point. If it was only Goodwin that had torched them, I wouldn't be quite as worried...but the two undrafted rookies? That should not be happening. 

It is possible but I'm not sure if that is the route the team goes. I want to see Ward playing FS but if Jerome is the real deal, then it makes the move easier to make. Though Witherspoon has started a bit slow, I'm hoping at some point in the season he takes over one of the starting spots opposite Robinson.

The downside of all the good performance from our pass-rushers today - Trent Brown seems to have been quite bad, giving up 5 sacks.

Our secondary was always going to be a cause of concern this season, not only are most of them quite young but also injury prone(Robinson especially) and the depth guys aren't that good. Can only hope the improved pass rush will avoid us getting torn apart.

Archived