Offseason/Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

On 8/6/2017 at 8:16 PM, Forge said:

In fairness, it's not like Baalke was bad at everything. I just don't think he could truly evaluate players from a value perspective, and I think far too beholden to his own methodology. Had to be the smartest guy in the room. There are a considerable number of jobs I could imagine he'd excel at for the NFL. That being said, just don't have any of his duties include the NFL draft....

Baalke: "It is with great pleasure, that I announce that we have awarded the 2019 NFL draft to the great city of Funkley, Minnesota. We feel that the sky is the limit for this up and coming city. I have personally evaluated it from top to bottom, and I think this is a future star city in the making. Just trust me on this"

Funkley, Minnesota actually leads the country, per capita, in ACL tears

On 8/8/2017 at 11:54 AM, Forge said:

I think it depends on where you feel our talent base is. I agree that I Think Shanny could nab us an extra win or two just from strong coaching and planning. But other teams have great coaches as well, so I'm not going to say he's worth more than 1 or 2. If you feel that our talent is a 5 win team, then it's easier to believe that we could end up with 6 or 7. With our schedule, I see our talent more or less as a two or three win team, and we win an extra game or two from coaching / lucky breaks / etc. 

You're on the money as always Forge. Love Shanny but the roster still needs lots of work

When the 49ers returned to practice on Monday, Colbert was moved to free safety. He made his mark with two interceptions. Colbert has put himself into serious conversation for a spot on the 53-man roster because of his versatility.

He was moved to Safety after the injury to James. He had experience at both corner and safety between Texas and Miami in college. 

Seems like the person that might be helped out most by all of these safety injuries is Colbert. Had a good practice today: 

When the 49ers returned to practice on Monday, Colbert was moved to free safety. He made his mark with two interceptions. Colbert has put himself into serious conversation for a spot on the 53-man roster because of his versatility.

Meh, lets see when the pads are on what he does. This practice was without pads and he didn't even get playing time against the Chiefs. Now I'm interested in seeing what he does against the Broncos during the next two practices and then in the actual game. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Meh, lets see when the pads are on what he does. This practice was without pads and he didn't even get playing time against the Chiefs. Now I'm interested in seeing what he does against the Broncos during the next two practices and then in the actual game. 

I'm of the same thinking, let's wait until we see him out there in a game time situation but I like hearing he knows how to put himself in position to make a play. If I remember correctly this guy was actually a pretty good hitter in college and doesn't mind getting physical. So I don't neccesarily think banging with people will be an issue for him I want to see if he looks out of place during game time. 

Just a read a report that had some PFF grades on our game against the Chiefs. Three of the highest scoring 49ers were Matt Breida, Kendrick Bourne and Erik Magnuson, who had a mid-high 80s score in run blocking while not allowing a QB pressure while in on his 13 pass plays. Breida also proved to score very effective running between the tackles and gaining more than half his yardage total after contact and proving very shifty. He scored well on his pass blocking as well for the three plays he was asked to protect the QB. Bourne's high score confuses me a bit since he also had two drops, but definitely made plays afterwards.

10 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

Just a read a report that had some PFF grades on our game against the Chiefs. Three of the highest scoring 49ers were Matt Breida, Kendrick Bourne and Erik Magnuson, who had a mid-high 80s score in run blocking while not allowing a QB pressure while in on his 13 pass plays. Breida also proved to score very effective running between the tackles and gaining more than half his yardage total after contact and proving very shifty. He scored well on his pass blocking as well for the three plays he was asked to protect the QB. Bourne's high score confuses me a bit since he also had two drops, but definitely made plays afterwards.

It's confusing because PFF grading is crazy lol. 

That being said, Madnuson is an interesting case. The guy did start the last two years at tackle at Michigan, which isn't exactly nothing, and before that, he started half a season at guard. Lots of experience there. It's a good scheme fit for him too, as he probably needed to be in a zone scheme. I don't know that he's making the roster or anything, but I don't see why he couldn't be Alex Boone. 

With the interior OL depth lacking so much, especially with Garnett's injury right now I wouldn't be surprised if we take a long look at Magnuson and put a lot of thought into keeping him around if he continues to show well. Right now we have Beadles, Fusco, Kilgore and Barnes to fill 3 STARTING roles. That's just scary seeing as Barnes was pretty much the worst OL on a very bad Rams OL last year and we all no Beadles level of play. Any kind of youth showing well on the interior I have to believe will be extremely valued. All that said I'm adding him to the list of guys I want on our PS for sure now, as if my list matters at all haha, but I've filled five spots with James, Bourne, Magnuson, Williams and Calitro. I guess I could throw Pita T in there as well and maybe Colbert, although I would really like to see him make the 53 man roster as our 5th S/CB in a pinch but mainly a STs star.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who's sees these PFF grades and immediately has questions haha @Forge

Archived