Offseason/Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

So camp officially kicks away today but the real practices start tomorrow. Being a bad young team there will be plenty of spots up for grabs. Just sucks Thomas hasn't inked his deal yet. Hoping it isn't another Boss type of situation. 

33 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So camp officially kicks away today but the real practices start tomorrow. Being a bad young team there will be plenty of spots up for grabs. Just sucks Thomas hasn't inked his deal yet. Hoping it isn't another Boss type of situation. 

I'm not too concerned quite yet - Garnett didn't ink his deal last year until about this time. I think that the Stanford graduation date thing really slows things up sometimes. I haven't heard any reports of issues with the negotiations, so until I do, I'm just assuming it's minor stuff and he'll be signed shortly. 

I'm not worried about Thomas at the moment. This is the same situation we had with Garnett last year, so for now it's not a big deal (plus there is next to no leverage for prospects in the new CBA). 

Also - I'm hoping to keep an eye on major threads like these for general chatter and splitting them when necessary to generate new threads (make the forum look fuller). Hoping that helps make it easier for those browsing to pick out things they might like a little easier. So don't be shocked if you randomly start new threads soon!

Defense appears to still be well ahead of the offense. I'm okay with that. If we can field a legit defense, focus on the offense next year (particularly if we nab Cousins) we could be competitive very soon

45 minutes ago, Forge said:

Defense appears to still be well ahead of the offense. I'm okay with that. If we can field a legit defense, focus on the offense next year (particularly if we nab Cousins) we could be competitive very soon

Same here. This is to be expected, too. Although I've heard some good things about Goodwin being more than just a deep threat running fly routes, so it's nice to see him showing up in practice. He'll have a real shot at showing he's a complete steal if it's true. 

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article164234187.html

Another player who took his first snaps with the 49ers this year: pass rusher Elvis Dumervil, who mostly worked with the second-team defense but who also took some first-team repetitions in the nickel packages. Some of you have wondered what the nickel alignment looks like. On one play, Dumervil and Eli Harold were the edge rushers with Arik Armstead and DeForest Buckner rushing from inside.

http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/Kyle-Shanahan-Analyzes-49ers-First-Camp-Practice/b4c8c1ac-832c-423f-bf9d-d51a4d1ce5c1

Regarding Jaquiski Tartt: 

"I think he's come a long way since we first got here. He's gotten into great shape. He did that throughout phase one, two and three. He came back yesterday even in better shape. I'm really excited about him. He's a guy who can run and hit and we've got to see how he plays in the system and how fast he can play once he gets out there."

Some of the beat writers thought he had a pretty good spring and might make a play for a roster spot, or at least practice squad spot. Supposedly, his performance in the rookie tryout post-draft is what made KD Cannon expendable. 

47 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Speaking of KD Cannon...

Probably not a great sign when the presumed two worst teams cut you before your first preseason game. 

Wow, we were all so excited for him too.

Jaquiski Tartt has been gifted a big opportunity with Ward being down for a little time with a hamstring injury. Lorenzo Jerome can also earn his roster spot if he performs well with the second unit. Tartt apparently showed up leaner than he was last year which I think is good if he wants to have versatility to play both FS and SS. He played a lot in the box last year and wasn't awful, might be the biggest reason we aren't looking to offer a new deal for Eric Reid. 

Archived