Offseason/Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

Sucks about Smith. By all accounts, he was having a really good camp. Hopefully 'a little more serious than...hamstring tightness' just means bruised ribs that keeps him out only a couple days. But this is a big opportunity for Foster. 

I'm not super concerned about Smiths' injury. If he was starting, that meant that Foster was likely riding the bench, and I'd rather have Foster on the field anyway (unless we suddenly about face and put Foster at SAM). I don't think that there's much difference in depth between Smith and Ray Ray. 

Yeah, I don't mind him missing major time since it opens up the spot for Foster who was eventually going to start anyways. And if they want to start Armstrong, then that's fine too. It just hurts our depth.

I'm more concerned about Garnett's injury.

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm not super concerned about Smiths' injury. If he was starting, that meant that Foster was likely riding the bench, and I'd rather have Foster on the field anyway (unless we suddenly about face and put Foster at SAM). I don't think that there's much difference in depth between Smith and Ray Ray. 

Agreed. I just hope Garnett isn't our for too long, he still is my glimmer of hope in that OL, that he develops at least into solid G. Needs every minute he can get.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I figured Beadles would be replacing Garnett. Not great news for our offense.

I just looked, and there's like nothing out there as a UFA at the guard position, unfortunately. I forgot that Nick Mangold was still out there at center though. 

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yep, he will be gone for a long time.

Sucks, but like I said, I'm not to bent out of shape over this one. I don't think it makes a large difference in the grand scheme of things. 

Guard Joshua Garnett’s season does not appear to be in jeopardy, but it appears unlikely he will be able to compete for a starting job to open the season.

After a slow start with the 49ers’ new offensive scheme, Zane Beadles appears to be proving his way into the role at left guard.

Joe Staley and Trent Brown are the starters at the left- and right-tackle positions. And Daniel Kilgore has seemed to tighten his hold at center ahead of veteran Jeremy Zuttah.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-confident-veteran-guards-garnett-out-indefinitely

So good chance week 1 our OL is Staley/Beadles/Kilgore/Fusco/Brown L-O-L. Three consecutive years of a bottom 5 OL. Welp.......

Archived