Offseason/Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

8 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't think that Tank gets traded...he's shown pretty nicely so far, I like the rotation of him and Thomas, and he's finally playing his natural position. So I kind of hope not. I also think that there's a much larger ceiling with more potential for Tank.  Dial almost feels like a lock to me to get dealt if he has a shred of value on the open market. 

I could definitely see Tank sticking around. He has looked good from what I've seen.  But from a developmental and roster building aspect, he makes sense to either trade or release. He's only going to take snaps away from a guy like Thomas who has a bright future and just needs game time reps to help him further develop. And though he has played better than a guy like Blair, I'd keep Blair over him. Blair is younger, cheaper and is under contract for another 3 years. At worst, I think Blair provides good depth behind Thomas, on the cheap, for the next couple of years. The chances of Tank getting resigned after this season are slim to none. If he isn't in your long-term plans, he becomes more expendable IMO. Blair is PS eligible but I don't see him clearing waivers if he is cut. Tough decision either way, but if Thomas is the future(and he has looked good), I'd go youth movement and look to move Tank.  

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Just someone to fill a spot in preseason game 4 to prevent injury? 

I'm not sure about that, he's has experience in Salehs defense and as others have mentioned we have others in front of him who we might be able to move so we'll see. I'd be a little surprised if that is the case and he's more than just a camp body personally, but it is possible.

40 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I'm not sure about that, he's has experience in Salehs defense and as others have mentioned we have others in front of him who we might be able to move so we'll see. I'd be a little surprised if that is the case and he's more than just a camp body personally, but it is possible.

I just don't quite get it given the depth of the line. Apparently the staff isn't as high on a few of the guys that we are if that is the case. That has to be bad news for Dial, Jones or Jones.

Side note - it was weirdly fun to say "Dial, Jones or Jones".  

15 hours ago, Forge said:

I wouldn't be shocked if Lynch were dealt either. He may actually still retain some real value on the market if we were to shop him, particularly to a team that loses a pass rusher (don't see why he couldn't be a target for a team like New England as well, and we know that they don't have any issues trading picks). He's young, on a cheap deal, and there's upside there. At the same time, we may not completely "love" him and view him as a long term solution. I agree that it would be a long shot, but not altogether surprising if it were to occur. 

I don't thikn that Tank gets traded...he's shown pretty nicely so far, I like the rotation of him and Thomas, and he's finally playing his natural position. So I kind of hope not. I also think that there's a much larger ceiling with more potential for Tank.  Dial almost feels like a lock to me to get dealt if he has a shred of value on the open market. 

In comparison to Lynch? If so, I completely disagree. As far as talent is concerned, Lynch has all the tools to be an elite defender. The problem with Lynch is focus, but the talent to me is obvious. If Shanny could light a fire under him and get him to achieve consistency he'd be a borderline probowl caliber player imo. I think he could be a trade candidate and I think of the players we are talking about potentially trading, he holds the most value. 

1 minute ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

In comparison to Lynch? If so, I completely disagree. As far as talent is concerned, Lynch has all the tools to be an elite defender. The problem with Lynch is focus, but the talent to me is obvious. If Shanny could light a fire under him and get him to achieve consistency he'd be a borderline probowl caliber player imo. I think he could be a trade candidate and I think of the players we are talking about potentially trading, he holds the most value. 

Compared to Dial - though I would disagree with the upside for Lynch that you have there. I don't think that he has pro bowl level type ceiling. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Compared to Dial - though I would disagree with the upside for Lynch that you have there. I don't think that he has pro bowl level type ceiling. 

I agree with Tank having a higher ceiling than Dial. Dial is what he is which is a big solid run defender. With Lynch we'll just have to agree to disagree I think. I believe he has every physical tool to be a stud pass rusher which is why I wanted us to draft him and was so excited when we did: it all come down to consistency/work ethic with him. Like I said I think if someone motivates him with the tools he has, he would be a highly productive player.

on a side note, I read an article on BR today suggesting the Bears could release Kyle Fuller. I know a lot of people were big on him coming out, and with our lack of depth at CB, he could be a player we target on cut day.

Mark's ability to stick depends really on whether or not Lynch wants to roll the dice with DJ Jones and waive him. From what I read during TC, most of the beat writers seemed very impressed with Jones and his potential. I really don't believe we'll carry more than two NTs and I think Mitchell is lock so it comes down to if whether or not they like DJ Jones enough to not risk him to waivers. If they do want to stash him on the PS for a year than I think Marks could definitely be the back-up to Mitchell and make the 53. If they really do believe Jones can be a capable back-up as a rookie then Marks is more then likely just around for the pre-season.

On 8/23/2017 at 10:41 AM, Fureys49ers said:

8.5 sacks in 2014. An aberration in his stats, but still pretty good number for a guy that plays on the inside. I think he could probably be an OK backup if we can get something for Dial

Archived