Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
J-ALL-DAY

Offseason/Training Camp Thread

Recommended Posts

I think a lot of these reports of who's doing well and who's not need to be taken with a grain of salt. A lot of these reporters will write down something that stands out that they happen to see on a play like a pick 6 or someone getting beat in 1 on 1's. But In reality the coaching staff could have a totally different outlook on each individual's performance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 48 1/2ers said:

I think a lot of these reports of who's doing well and who's not need to be taken with a grain of salt. A lot of these reporters will write down something that stands out that they happen to see on a play like a pick 6 or someone getting beat in 1 on 1's. But In reality the coaching staff could have a totally different outlook on each individual's performance. 

Good point. I try and find consensus among beat writers/put faith in the 2 Matts (as I find them to be more correct than not). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea Maiocco and Barrows are solid but theyre also pretty vague and dont put a lot of detail behind what they say for good reason usually because they dont want to be called out on it. Middlekauff is a bit more brazen but his time as a scout at least paints a better understanding of how these teams formulate opinions compared to other reporters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Jerome, meanwhile, had an interception during Saturday's session. He has been playing free safety with the second-team defense and nickel cornerback with the third-team defense. That's a good sign for him: It means the coaches are eager to see how much value he could give them if he makes the roster.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article164462577.html

 

Great news for Jerome. Hopefully he shines there as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean of course what the beat writers report aren't the end all be all, but that's all we have to go off of. For the most part though unless the beat writers have agendas, they do paint an accurate picture of what is going on. 

The depth at DL this season is going to be crazy. I'm sure the prior coaching staff is envious of it. Our OL once again looks to be pretty underwhelming. Granted, it could just be that our DL is that damn good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Our OL once again looks to be pretty underwhelming. Granted, it could just be that our DL is that damn good.

It is probably a combination of both. Let's remember, the first team offense right now carries over four starters (Staley, Garnett, Kilgore, Brown) from last year's poor offensive line. On top of the guys we brought in were Gillam (PFF's #68 OT), Fusco (#58 OG), Zuttah (#17 C), and Barnes (#33 C). And aside from Gillam, who are starters ranked higher than, our guys were all worse. 

So - this is a position group on which we'll need to focus in the next offseason or two. It is part of why I am pretty confident we're still not going to be very good this year, even with a lot of promise in various areas. My Notre Dame bias coming out - but a guy like Quenton Nelson would be high on my wishlist. With another solid season, though, he'll probably skyrocket up the draft boards. Maybe mid-1st.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, the OL will be a weakness of the team for the third consecutive year. The only way it was going to be decent was if Brown/Garnett took big jumps from the prior season. Guys like Kilgore/Fusco/Gillam/Zuttah are what they are. Next year we need to go offense heavy in the draft with five picks in the first three rounds.

And I think we need to go CB with one of the those picks or pick up a top tier one in free agency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luckily, getting reasonably good players in free agency at the offensive line spot is possible, and I think with a year for the league to see what Shanahan is able to get going, free agents will want to come here again. But I agree with you on OL and CB early. Still think we need a stud pass-rusher and WR, too, but those I am willing to play the wait and see game (since we seem more likely to have surprises from players already on the team in those areas). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Luckily, getting reasonably good players in free agency at the offensive line spot is possible, and I think with a year for the league to see what Shanahan is able to get going, free agents will want to come here again. But I agree with you on OL and CB early. Still think we need a stud pass-rusher and WR, too, but those I am willing to play the wait and see game (since we seem more likely to have surprises from players already on the team in those areas). 

If there is a way we could get Cousins without giving up a draft pick, that would be great. But if the Redskins lock him up or we decide to go with one of the top upcoming prospects in the 1st round, then I'd like to go WR with one of our 2nd round picks. There are always good CBs available in free agency so we could get one there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If there is a way we could get Cousins without giving up a draft pick, that would be great. But if the Redskins lock him up or we decide to go with one of the top upcoming prospects in the 1st round, then I'd like to go WR with one of our 2nd round picks. There are always good CBs available in free agency so we could get one there. 

I agree with that last part conceptually, but this offseason proved that just because guys are available and we have cap space doesn't mean they will come here. So, we'll see, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But which top CB on the market did we offer top money to? More times than none, these free agents will go to the team that offers the most money or comparable money to other teams. It just depends on how much the team is willing to pay top money to a free agent CB. Some teams just don't feel like that is the best way to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But which top CB on the market did we offer top money to? More times than none, these free agents will go to the team that offers the most money or comparable money to other teams. It just depends on how much the team is willing to pay top money to a free agent CB. Some teams just don't feel like that is the best way to go. 

I was referring more to the WRs we were after, or all had our hopes up for. I mean, if we find a CB the level of Garcon, that's likely enough for a few years. Buys us time and allows us to get the other positions in place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I don't even remember which WRs we were after tbh LOL. But I think if we want a top CB in free agency next year, we certainly could get one. Again though, that's if the management believes in paying top money to free agent CBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It is possible but I'm not sure if that is the route the team goes. I want to see Ward playing FS but if Jerome is the real deal, then it makes the move easier to make. Though Witherspoon has started a bit slow, I'm hoping at some point in the season he takes over one of the starting spots opposite Robinson.

 

 

I dont see this happening. I stated when Witherspoon was drafted that he wouldn't be ready to play early on, as I think some were led to believe. I think ppl just assumed he would hit the ground running because if his size and coverage skills. But what I saw was a really raw CB who got by with physical ability but really lacked refinement and the physicality to play significant snaps out the gate. Not going to write off his rookie year just yet but I see Witherspoon as more of a project, like Armstead was when he was drafted. A guy who wouldn't be ready to really have a impact until his 2nd or 3rd year.

Edited by 757-NINER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×