Offseason/Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

10 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Injury bug hitting our safeties pretty hard out the gate BUT I'd rather it be early in camp rather than later on. Also gives us a chance to see younger guys with the 1's and 2's and helps better evaluate potential/talent level.

I really can't wait to see this D-Line in action. With Armstead, Lynch, and Doom, we have accumulated a nice trio of pass-rushers to complement guys like Mitchell, DeFo, and Jones(I'm higher on Jones than most, really like his potential at NT). And that's not even counting whatever we get from Thomas. I've always maintained that the game is still won upfront first, so if we can consistently cause havoc upfront, it could mask a lot of deficiencies in the back 7. 

Oh yeah - seems like we definitely have the right group of guys to create havoc. That will help tremendously. 

5 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Disappointing. While he was always a long shot for the roster, I liked that he brought something different to the table than the stable of receivers we currently have. 

10 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Bad news for Jimmie Gilbert: 

I'm guessing he gets replaced on the active roster with a safety. We worked out Jairus Byrd in the offseason...maybe?

This is disappointing as well. I liked him a bit as a project (he's too small right now), but if he could put on some weight, he may be able be a viable pass rusher. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I want to be...I really do. But I can't get past his time in Buffalo where he was basically a no-show his entire career. It also seems like an odd fit to maximize his skillset with Hoyer. That being said, like you, I have heard nothing but great things from the beat writers this offseason. I'm keeping expectations super low, however. 

Yeah, the Hoyer thing is inescapable this year, but Goodwin was only asked to run a limited route tree. Apparently he's able to run more in this offense, and that has worked out well for him. I am keeping expectations low for now as well, but  he's still one of the guys on offense I will be watching closely. 

11 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Honestly, don't think it much matters. At this point, does anyone view Lynch as anything more than rotational? I know that this could definitely change, but he's not surpassing Armstead at the LEO, and I think that Elvis will get first crack at the situational pass rusher and Armstead back up. Does he play the big DE role? That seems unlikely to me, though I suppose its possible. I thought that I had heard they were debating trying him at SAM some, but quite frankly, Brooks, while not awesome, is just going to be better at it than Lynch, in my opinion. 

As for Brown...I'm starting to come down on him quite a bit. I was super hopeful for him, and I think he's a guy that will always kick around the league, but I don't like the things that we are hearing overall, particularly if he's giving up sacks. He's an awful run blocker and pass blocking is supposed to be his forte. If he's getting blown off the line in the pass rush, he's in trouble. At this point, I could go either way - he could live up to the promise that we have seen the first two years, or I could see him completely disintegrating and being benched at some point during the year. 

Since this is going to be the hot thread for the next good bit, I wanted to mention to everyone that if you haven't done your smarter than a gm picks to get those in now. I believe that Y2 is going to lock that thread up very shortly. 

Just now, Forge said:

Honestly, don't think it much matters. At this point, does anyone view Lynch as anything more than rotational? I know that this could definitely change, but he's not surpassing Armstead at the LEO, and I think that Elvis will get first crack at the situational pass rusher and Armstead back up. Does he play the big DE role? That seems unlikely to me, though I suppose its possible. I thought that I had heard they were debating trying him at SAM some, but quite frankly, Brooks, while not awesome, is just going to be better at it than Lynch, in my opinion. 

As for Brown...I'm starting to come down on him quite a bit. I was super hopeful for him, and I think he's a guy that will always kick around the league, but I don't like the things that we are hearing overall, particularly if he's giving up sacks. He's an awful run blocker and pass blocking is supposed to be his forte. If he's getting blown off the line in the pass rush, he's in trouble. At this point, I could go either way - he could live up to the promise that we have seen the first two years, or I could see him completely disintegrating and being benched at some point during the year. 

Lynch has been having a very impressive camp. I see no reason why we couldn't run some Dumervil, 2 of Armstead/Buckner/Thomas, Lynch nickel lines in passing situations.  

Brown - I'll wait and see. I don't see how he's not the best option this year, but apparently he recovered from a rough day yesterday today. Shanahan pointed it out. 

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

Lynch has been having a very impressive camp. I see no reason why we couldn't run some Dumervil, 2 of Armstead/Buckner/Thomas, Lynch nickel lines in passing situations.  

Brown - I'll wait and see. I don't see how he's not the best option this year, but apparently he recovered from a rough day yesterday today. Shanahan pointed it out. 

I thought that we would kick Armstead inside when we pull Buckner, but do we think that will still happen with Armstead in the low 270's? I would have assumed that we see more of Chris Jones in the interior to spell Buckner. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I thought that we would kick Armstead inside when we pull Buckner, but do we think that will still happen with Armstead in the low 270's? I would have assumed that we see more of Chris Jones in the interior to spell Buckner. 

I still thought he was kicking inside in those situations, but I could be wrong. In any case, Lynch could still be part of a Dumervil, Buckner, Thomas, Lynch line when Armstead needs a break. Lots of options isn't a bad thing.

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

I still thought he was kicking inside in those situations, but I could be wrong. In any case, Lynch could still be part of a Dumervil, Buckner, Thomas, Lynch line when Armstead needs a break. Lots of options isn't a bad thing.

Not at all. And I'm less inclined to think we cut Lynch now (I had that as a legit possibility earlier in the year, though I don't think it's out of the realm that we could trade him if the offer presented itself). Honestly, right now, I really like the talent and depth of this front. 

Archived