Offseason/Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

I thought that we would kick Armstead inside when we pull Buckner, but do we think that will still happen with Armstead in the low 270's? I would have assumed that we see more of Chris Jones in the interior to spell Buckner. 

Yes, I still think Armstead could be kicked inside if we pull Buckner.

I can't wait for some of these preseason games so we can see how dominant this DLine can be.... or how awful our OLine may be. I will say this; last year outside of AA & DeFo I don't remember hearing much about anyone else being as dominant as we are hearing from a number of our DLineman this year. Pretty exciting. Having a defense that can get off the field by stopping the run/getting to the QB will do wonders for our team.

Just now, Gore Whore 21 said:

I can't wait for some of these preseason games so we can see how dominant this DLine can be.... or how awful our OLine may be. I will say this; last year outside of AA & DeFo I don't remember hearing much about anyone else being as dominant as we are hearing from a number of our DLineman this year. Pretty exciting. Having a defense that can get off the field by stopping the run/getting to the QB will do wonders for our team.

Weirdly, after those two, the best defensive lineman may have been Chris Jones. Not a pass rusher by any stretch, but our run defense, which was historically bad, was quite significantly improved when he stepped into the lineup. 

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I'm telling anybody who will listen, Jones is going to be a force@NT. That spin move was Freeny-esque LOL. He moves so well for a guy as stout and as powerful as he is. 

I think he starts on the PS. Not sure why. I like him moving forward though. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think he starts on the PS. Not sure why. I like him moving forward though. 

He makes the 53, I'm calling it now. Would not surprise me one bit if he is kept over a guy like Dial. Never really thought Dial was ideal for this scheme. I think DJ ends up the primary back-up to Mitchell when the smoke clears.

Of course I don't like hearing about our too 3 safeties missing reps this early in camp but for some reason I'm excited to see what guys like Jerome, James and the 7th rounder (his name escapes me right now) have to offer. I really do think we have a quality player or two amongst them. 

Love hearing about our DL dominating, it would be such a drastic change from many previous years before. I am so tired of watching opposing QBs have all day to throw and picking our secondary apart and second everyone who is saying this will greatly benefit our young and developing secondary as it sounds like they may need it.

Last thing I wanted to touch on was the success it would seem our RBs are having, with Hightower and Breida showing well, I've read positive things on Hyde as well and will remain positive on Williams until I hear and see otherwise, sometimes no news does not neccesarily mean bad news.

If our RBs and front seven on defense can be fixed and set up for the future this season I will be extremely happy with the direction our team is headed. Maybe an off season of attaining our QBotF (Cousins/early draft pick), addressing the OL, weapons on the outside (although it sounds like we have some upside there already) and our secondary and we'll take another step towards relevancy. Overall I'm very excited about the direction we are headed already, as long as the talk we are hearing now becomes present on game days.

22 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I think i'm drunk off one of these...is there kombucha in this crap?

Doh! I mean nsync. Sorry it's been awhile since I heard this stuff ringing through my parents house (sisters). 

I agree with Furey though, I'm excited to see these young safeties get a shot. Looks like we just signed Louis Murphy, that is extremely underwhelming.

Hyde has looked like the 49ers best running back through the first four days of practice – but he had an up-and-down outing Monday. He fumbled a toss from Hoyer in the beginning of the team period he recovered for a sizable loss.

He responded with a 15-yard catch down the sideline in the second team portion. Behind Hyde, Hightower has gotten off to a good start and could eat into Hyde’s snaps if the trend continues. The running game is still in the early stages of its transition to Shanahan’s offense and Hyde on Monday looked like he was still feeling things out.

http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/31/49ers-training-camp-stock-watch-day-4/3/

So looks like he just had a rough day or at least a rough play with the fumble. 

Also looks like Brown responded well to a rough practice yesterday.

If you noticed this thread yesterday, we were about 5 pages in. I went and split a lot of posts into existing threads to keep discussions going throughout multiple threads on the board. I want to see more of that so anyone new visiting the forum doesn't have to search through a ton of posts for relevant interests (also, I know Webby wants more of that as well). I was very guilty of this myself (moved probably 5 or 6 of mine). 

Anyway, if you're wondering where they went, it likely went into a position battle thread. Let's save this thread for camp videos or discussions of multiple positions at once. Or - if the group doesn't have a battle thread. I think the wide receivers are mostly just general chatter at this point. Goodwin seems to be the only one worthy of his own thread thus far, but we'll save that for now.

NinersWire reporter when asked about the biggest difference between last year's QBs vs Hoyer...

Blaine Gabbert and Colin Kaepernick were never particularly good practice players. Kaepernick often played better in games than on the practice field for reasons that will never be explained.

Brian Hoyer this summer is off to a strong start. His command of the offense is noticeable and he often makes the right decision when it comes to finding the open target.

He’s been dramatically better than Matt Barkley and C.J. Beathard, hitting receivers at every level of the defense while exhibiting touch and adding velocity when necessary. His anticipatory throws on routes that take time to develop have also been impressive.

Kaepernick, at times during practice, would have ‘what-was-that?’ throws that would sometimes bleed into games. Short passes to running backs in the flat would be thrown into the ground and he often struggled to take velocity off throws when needed. Kaepernick was always at his best when windows were small and throws down field required maximum arm speed.

Hoyer’s the opposite. He’s more attuned to loft throws over defenders when needed but also has the arm strength to take advantage of his receivers’ speed. And he has no problem hitting his check-down options underneath, which was one of Kaepernick’s weaknesses.

Kaepernick was, and will always be, the more physically imposing player. Hoyer will never scare defenses with his ability to break off a 30-yard run when the play breaks down like Kaepernick. But the 49ers are hoping Hoyer can better keep the offense on schedule by taking fewer sacks, being more consistent with shorter and intermediate throws and better reading coverages.

This is the most encouraging news out of EVERYTHING that's been reported so far. If Hoyer can give us merely good QB play and some timely throws and decisions each game. With this defensive front becoming a force, we could really surprise a few teams this year. 

Archived