Offseason/Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

The Ravens have lost two more players for the year to injury. Crockett Gilmore and their rookie offensive lineman Nico Siragusa. Absolutely brutal offseason so far for them. They should definitely be in the market for a tight end at this point. IF I were them, I would wait to see who we cut, but if I'm us, I'm peddling Vance over there right now. 

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

This is the most encouraging news out of EVERYTHING that's been reported so far. If Hoyer can give us merely good QB play and some timely throws and decisions each game. With this defensive front becoming a force, we could really surprise a few teams this year. 

It's very encouraging. But if you look at Hoyer's play over time, you can see these things. His problems are consistency and his inability to stay healthy. But I agree - we may end up surprising a few teams this year. If the team doesn't suffer from the usual injury bug that plagues us, and if the offensive line can gel/be average (like in the 16-20th range), we might even be a team with an outside chance at the playoffs. Of course, I expect neither of those things to hold true, and with our safeties being among the most likely to go down, we may be in the bottom of the league in passing defense, which means we'll be plenty bad. 

Hoyer is what he is. He has shown he is competent enough for stretches and with Shanahan's genius play calling, he should be solid enough. My concern is the OL and and our secondary. There are so many question marks in the back end and obviously our OL has been crap for the last two years. I could see us winning about 6-7 games, but more than anything I just want to see our young players take the next step. We need to develop some cornerstones on both sides of the ball that will be here when we become a playoff caliber team.

10 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I just hope Hoyer doesn't get sacked 50 times this year. If he can even hold up half the season. I don't want Barkley playing or Beathard. 

Throughout his career, one of the things he's been far superior at than Kaepernick is avoiding sacks. He's got a sack rate about half of what Kaep's career rate was, so we should see our sacks go down this year. Doesn't mean he'll stay healthy (he's had issues with that in the past), but I don't think it'll be specifically because of that - though our offensive line will not be good and he'll still be under pressure. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Throughout his career, one of the things he's been far superior at than Kaepernick is avoiding sacks. He's got a sack rate about half of what Kaep's career rate was, so we should see our sacks go down this year. Doesn't mean he'll stay healthy (he's had issues with that in the past), but I don't think it'll be specifically because of that - though our offensive line will not be good and he'll still be under pressure. 

Our line this year might make Dan Marino look like Drew Bledsoe when it comes to sacks. Just don't have faith in the unit even though zero games have been played. 

I was watching the live stream to the early portion of practice and they were showing one on one RZ drills and Williams/Redmond looked good. Robinson on the other hand allowed four straight catches from what I saw. A couple of them he had good coverage but he was clearly getting frustrated. 

Bruce Ellington had two or three nice catches as well as Tim Patrick. I don't think Patrick makes the team, but really intrigued to seeing what he does after a year on the PS.

So Forrest Lamp was carted off the practice field for the Chargers. Never a good sign. I would guess that there's a good chance that both their first and second round picks miss chunks if not all of the season. They just can't have nice things. 

Archived