Offseason/Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

19 hours ago, Geek said:

Been hearing Smelters name come up quite a bit. I really liked the pick when we made it and I hope he can figure his **** out and make the 53. He's always had the potential to be good but just sucked until now.

I really wanted Diggs at that spot as you may remember. I know we were going back and fourth on this I can't remember the receiver you wanted anymore but neither of us got our wish while neither of us were too upset with Smelter either. I don't really have high hopes for him at this point. I am not too worried about our receiver production going forward though, it seems Shanny knows exactly what he wants in a receiver and definitely knows how to get them open.

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Damn, he's had a good camp from all reports as well. Hopefully it is nothing serious.

Tough break if its serious. I thought he was a good guy to have on the roster for younger guys. Hopefully not too bad

I'm assuming one of the starters were given a vet day off?

I don't think many thought Hyde was ever going to be cut.

Our LB core could be the biggest upgrade from last year. We lost Bowman/Armstrong early on and it was a disaster after that. Now our back ups will be better than the LBs that finished the season last year.

Love hearing about Jerome and James. Seems we might have lucked up into to some solid, young safety depth with both of those. Sounds like both SHOULD make the team and with Tartt, we'll probably carry five safeties. 

Really liked how the LB corps is shaping up. Going to be interesting who gets the axe between Harold and Watson. I think Bow, Smith, Foster, Armstrong, and Brooks are pretty much locks for the 53. 

13 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Love hearing about Jerome and James. Seems we might have lucked up into to some solid, young safety depth with both of those. Sounds like both SHOULD make the team and with Tartt, we'll probably carry five safeties. 

Really liked how the LB corps is shaping up. Going to be interesting who gets the axe between Harold and Watson. I think Bow, Smith, Foster, Armstrong, and Brooks are pretty much locks for the 53. 

Too early for me to say much on the safeties. I don't think that both are making the roster without injury help. . 

Why do you think that Ray Ray is a lock? Between Harold and Watson, I think the latter has to have the edge given that he's a stud special teams player if I remember right. 

-NaVorro Bowman and Brock Coyle sat out of practice, giving Reuben Foster his first-ever regular reps with the starting unit. The rookie deflected a pass at the line and was used as a blitzer, forcing two errant throws on his pressures. Foster’s problem? Malcolm Smith has been everywhere in training camp and was disruptive in the running game on Thursday. Those two might platoon at WILL linebacker for the first part of 2017.

-Carlos Hyde caught five passes in 11-on-11 drills and has been one of the best 49ers players during training camp. Talk of cutting him seems laughable. He’s treated training camp practices like they are regular season games. Exhibit A: running over an unsuspecting Ahkello Witherspoon. There will be pressure on him to perform once the regular season begins, but Hyde’s been mostly terrific six days into camp. If he displays hands like that in September, he could actually receive a big bag of cash as a free agent in 2018.

-McDonald has looked like the most consistent tight end so far in camp. Unless he shows nothing in the preseason, it would be hard to imagine cutting him. Cole Hikutini has quieted down after a strong performance on Monday. George Kittle is assumed to be the only roster lock at the position.

http://www.knbr.com/2017/08/03/49ers-camp-observations-weight-loss-program-has-changed-endurance-of-49ers/

Archived