Did Trubisky regress?

51to54

Before anything else, a QB usually is NOT defined by their rookie season and often times it takes 2-3 seasons to find out what you really have in a QB. Prescott played more like a rookie QB in 2017 than he did in 2016. Goff went from bust to boom in one season. Mariotta may have more questions about his development now than he did his rookie season.

To me, Trubisky looked much more like a legit NFL QB during his first couple of games than he did as the season wore on. He seemed more confident and in particular had much better accuracy and snap on his passes at the beginning than he seemed to have at the end. So much so that I've gone from thinking he has a 80 pct chance to be a franchise QB to about 55 pct.

What is the opinion of fans here than saw most or all of his games?

He was exactly what I expected under our coaches last year...At no point did we help the guy from a coaching stand point and the players around him didn't step up either...I think he showed plenty of flashes tho to suggest he is going to be an excellent QB as long as we can give him the help the vast majority of QBs need.

10 minutes ago, 51to54 said:

Before anything else, a QB usually is NOT defined by their rookie season and often times it takes 2-3 seasons to find out what you really have in a QB. Prescott played more like a rookie QB in 2017 than he did in 2016. Goff went from bust to boom in one season. Mariotta may have more questions about his development now than he did his rookie season.

To me, Trubisky looked much more like a legit NFL QB during his first couple of games than he did as the season wore on. He seemed more confident and in particular had much better accuracy and snap on his passes at the beginning than he seemed to have at the end. So much so that I've gone from thinking he has a 80 pct chance to be a franchise QB to about 55 pct.

What is the opinion of fans here than saw most or all of his games?

Nah man, I think in the pre-season he was playing a lot more loose. In the regular season, you could tell that he was thinking too much and wanting to make sure he didn't make any mistakes. By the end of the season? His footwork was night-and-day better than it was during his first couple of starts. His upper body, particularly his release looked much quicker/cleaner to me (still needs work). The best thing for me was watching his eyes scan the entire field and complete big-time passes on read number 3 or 4.

The pocket presence, ad-lib plays I think will come in time with proper coaching and comfort in a system.

Not trying to insult anybody but i feel like you have to be almost football stupid to think the kid regressed.  Lets start with the numbers he finished the last 4 games comp 70+% of his passes at a 7.2 ypa.  If he does that for a full season at an avg attempt rate hes going to the probowl.  Lets talk about the eye test.  First he hadnt taken a meaningful snap from under center since hs.  Start of the year his footwork really suffered as a result and thats how he had those stretches where he just didnt look very accurate, by the end of the year it was vastly improved which was a big contributing factor to the 70% comp rate.  Early in the year he was incredibly handcuffed given half field read concepts and not being allowed to throw deep especially.  By the end of the year he was using the entire field, and particularly strong in the middle of the field delivering some absolute dimes to extend drives.  When he gets really dialed in sometime next year hes going to live up to Floyds nickname for him of pretty boy assassin

47 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Not trying to insult anybody but i feel like you have to be almost football stupid to think the kid regressed.  Lets start with the numbers he finished the last 4 games comp 70+% of his passes at a 7.2 ypa.  If he does that for a full season at an avg attempt rate hes going to the probowl.  Lets talk about the eye test.  First he hadnt taken a meaningful snap from under center since hs.  Start of the year his footwork really suffered as a result and thats how he had those stretches where he just didnt look very accurate, by the end of the year it was vastly improved which was a big contributing factor to the 70% comp rate.  Early in the year he was incredibly handcuffed given half field read concepts and not being allowed to throw deep especially.  By the end of the year he was using the entire field, and particularly strong in the middle of the field delivering some absolute dimes to extend drives.  When he gets really dialed in sometime next year hes going to live up to Floyds nickname for him of pretty boy assassin

Ha. Fair statement and which is why I'm asking a group of folks that have most likely watched a lot more of him than I have.

Aside from his stats, his attitude and confidence seemed much stronger at the start than at the end and most noticeably his accuracy seemed to fall off. Not from fair to bad, but from great to not so great.  Per his stats, I think they had nowhere to go, but up after as noted elsewhere here he was fairly well handcuffed by his supporting players and play calling.

Thanks for the followup analysis.

He did regress, for a few games, ended up making a bunch of disappointing  and head-scratching plays. But he came back around, by and large. I think the overall verdict on his rookie season, considering he should have been on the bench all year, is still encouraging. 

10 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

He did regress, for a few games, ended up making a bunch of disappointing  and head-scratching plays. But he came back around, by and large. I think the overall verdict on his rookie season, considering he should have been on the bench all year, is still encouraging. 

The plan was obviously for him to sit all year. I think the reps will prove valuable, obviously.

John Fox’s Chicago legacy and his greatest gift to us will be that we did not have to see Mark Sanchez start a game for us this year.

7 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

The plan was obviously for him to sit all year. I think the reps will prove valuable, obviously.

John Fox’s Chicago legacy and his greatest gift to us will be that we did not have to see Mark Sanchez start a game for us this year.

His greatest gift IMO was that he was so terrible at his job he allowed us to draft Trubisky. Just as his gift to CAR was being such a failure they got Newton.

22 hours ago, Sugashane said:

His greatest gift IMO was that he was so terrible at his job he allowed us to draft Trubisky. Just as his gift to CAR was being such a failure they got Newton.

I don't really agree with that as I don't think he's a horrible coach, but I gave that a "like" 'cause it got me laughing, just the same...xD

Archived