BDL 2018 Contract Negotiations/Transactions

SirA1

19 minutes ago, pheltzbahr said:

We did.  If you wanted to mirror his contract when it was redone last year you could have.  Now you have to match whatever new money is in there for the 5 yr extension.  This is nothing new, I did it with Watt a couple years ago.

There is no extension in this case though. From the Spotrac information they tore up the last year of his Rookie deal (2017) and gave him a new six year deal with a $8.5M roster bonus in 2017 instead of a Signing bonus. We just use the Avg salary over the 6 years. The numbers over six years add up to the $51M.

18 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

There is no extension in this case though. From the Spotrac information they tore up the last year of his Rookie deal (2017) and gave him a new six year deal with a $8.5M roster bonus in 2017 instead of a Signing bonus. We just use the Avg salary over the 6 years. The numbers over six years add up to the $51M.

LMAO, you serious?  You need to maybe just Google it.

Edited by pheltzbahr

6 minutes ago, pheltzbahr said:

LMAO, you serious?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/joel-bitonio-14444/

It's pretty clearly laid out in his old contract versus his new. How is it in any way an extension when his rookie salary for 2017 was replaced entirely? Scroll down to the bottom to see the old contract.

Edited by SirA1

8 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/joel-bitonio-14444/

It's pretty clearly laid out in his old contract versus his new. How is it in any way an extension when his rookie salary for 2017 was replaced entirely? Scroll down to the bottom to see the old contract.

Not so clear I guess

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000791797/article/joel-bitonio-receives-5year-512m-browns-extension

51 minutes ago, pheltzbahr said:

We did.  If you wanted to mirror his contract when it was redone last year you could have.  Now you have to match whatever new money is in there for the 5 yr extension.  This is nothing new, I did it with Watt a couple years ago.

Entirely different situation. Watt's deal was a true extension because they dropped the last year of his rookie deal and paid him a signing bonus then a roster bonus later converted to another signing bonus. So the remaining years were where all the new money went. You are currently enjoying a much better 3 up discount because you chose to 3 up earlier and added that extra year. $12,708 versus $14,168 which would be his 3 Up number today.

The whole point of mirroring is to prevent the cap structuring of NFL teams who front/back load contracts into certain cap years that suits them best to not influence our contracts here.  How cap is structured has no bearing here new money and years does.  Flat out, you're both wrong.

Just now, SirA1 said:

Entirely different situation. Watt's deal was a true extension because they dropped the last year of his rookie deal and paid him a signing bonus then a roster bonus later converted to another signing bonus. So the remaining years were where all the new money went. You are currently enjoying a much better 3 up discount because you chose to 3 up earlier and added that extra year. $12,708 versus $14,168 which would be his 3 Up number today.

Again, its new $ and new years, same situation, different accounting.  It matters what year you 3 up him here, shouldn't matter that he isn't paid.

I mean, its right in the OP!

If a player is a free agent coming out of his BDL rookie contract and has signed a new deal IRL before the year of the 3up, then the owner has to pay 85% of the total IRL contract but end the contract the same year in BDL than IRL. For instance, player X has a BDL rookie contract from 2014 to 2019 at $2000 per year and signed a new deal IRL in 2018 at $10M per year for 6 years. You can either 3up him in 2018 at $8,500 per year for 6 years or in 2019 at $9,800 per year for 5 years. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pheltzbahr said:

I mean, its right in the OP!

If a player is a free agent coming out of his BDL rookie contract and has signed a new deal IRL before the year of the 3up, then the owner has to pay 85% of the total IRL contract but end the contract the same year in BDL than IRL. For instance, player X has a BDL rookie contract from 2014 to 2019 at $2000 per year and signed a new deal IRL in 2018 at $10M per year for 6 years. You can either 3up him in 2018 at $8,500 per year for 6 years or in 2019 at $9,800 per year for 5 years. 

That's some dumb *** math as no Rookies can have 6 year deals but I guess that is the rule. It's a weird situation because of the Browns having so much cap space that they took a bigger hit in the last year of his rookie deal. The Example is flawed but by the intent of the first sentence is clear.

So I guess we go with what brought us here. Sorry @Jlash looks like it'll be a little more expensive for Bitonio. This takes me back to the dumb *** argument over Gronk's value.