New Coaching Hires + Greg Roman staying

wackywabbit

We've retained Greg Roman and added Assistant Head Coach to his title. Really good news. I was very optimistic about him boosting the line and running game after we got rid of Juandamentals. Considering how early we lost Yanda and Lewis and their backups and Kenneth Dixon, I think he even exceeded those expectations.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Greg-Roman-Is-Staying-With-Ravens-Gets-Promotion-to-Assistant-Head-Coach/75004332-7aa8-4586-9a0d-a6193444dfbf

25 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Hired James Urban as QB Coach. Coached McNabb and Vick in 09 & 10 which was Vick's MVP candidate season.

I like it.

He's a Marty and John guy though. I know how much you guys love John hiring his boys!!!

reads second sentence

YES LOVE IT!

reads last section

OMFG WHY DOES HE KEEP DOING THIS?!

This is awesome! James Urban was pivotal in coaching up those Bengals wide receivers. So not only does he help Flacco, but we might see his influence in coaching and developing some of our receivers moving forward. Also provides yet another potential candidate to be an offensive coordinator for us down the road if things don’t work out with MM and Roman has already moved on as an OC somewhere else. Love the hire.

Great to hear that Roman is staying on.  I wonder if any other team has 2 "Assistant Head Coaches"? 

James Urban sounds like an excellent hire.  Worked with McNabb and Vick in Philly and has done some excellent work with the WRs in Cincy (including AJ Green, Marvin Jones and Mo Sanu).  I just read an article where it mentioned that he was named assistant coach of the year for the Bengals in 2016 too.

Roman staying on is tremendous. That's a huge, huge keep and the assistant head coach title means that the Ravens can block other teams for poaching him to be their offensive coordinator (not that they would if he really wanted to go).

Not familiar with Urban, but the track record sounds nice. Flacco getting a dedicated QB coach is definitely a positive... but it might be more important for whatever young developmental QB the team brings in this offseason. 

So are we sure that both Roman AND Rosburg are BOTH assistant head coaches? Because I don’t think I’ve ever heard of that. And it just doesn’t make much sense. If promoting someone to Assistant Head Coach blocks other teams from poaching them... and there is no limit to how many assistant head coaches you can have... why wouldn’t we just make ALL of our coaches as such... same with every team in the league. I’m assuming there’s some sort of pay increase that goes with it, but still. Seems like this has got to be cheating somehow.?

And some people want to get rid of Harbaugh... this man continues to innovate by finding the grey areas of things. Weren’t we one of the first to have a “special assistant to the head coach” back with Vic Fangio? Or “run game coordinator” This man keeps finding creative new titles to give to coaches that in the past probably were just considered assistant coaches. It makes them feel extra special and warm inside, I suppose.?

6 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

So are we sure that both Roman AND Rosburg are BOTH assistant head coaches? Because I don’t think I’ve ever heard of that.

Bisciotti opening his cheque book for two Assistant HCs, just like we effectively have two GMs

2 hours ago, drd23 said:

Bisciotti opening his cheque book for two Assistant HCs, just like we effectively have two GMs

FWIW, Rosburg is "Associate Head Coach" and Roman is "Assistant Head Coach" I think. So technically, they're two different titles. Regardless though, it's just a way of paying him more.

I was wondering what was taking so long for us to field a defensive coordinator.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/1/7/16859526/bears-deny-bengals-request-to-interview-vic-fangio

That explains it. Vic Fangio is under contract until this up coming Tuesday. He’s one of the main players in the defensive coordinator position across the league and will likely be the domino that gets everything else going.

I imagine Cincy wanted to request his interview early because they knew they would be longshots to gain Fangio over spots like Green Bay and Baltimore.

So the fact that we have yet to hire Chuck Pagano, over a week since Darth Pees retired likely means either Pagano needed serious time to himself to make his decision.. and thus still has a high percentage chance of declining the position OR he outright declined the coordinator position.

In either case, I think it’s safe for the fans to move on from that idea, unless something new comes out. Which brings us back to the above article. Vic Fangio and Terryl Austin (whom the Bengals have interviewed already) will both likely be considered candidates for the open position along with Martindale. So Fangio’s contract expiration should give us a good indication on whether or not we will be moving forward with Fangio or Austin/Martindale.

Of the two I’d easily choose Austin. His ability to develop defensive backs is top notch and though his lions defenses declined after his first season, when he had Suh, he did put forth a top 3 defensive unit. My only problem there is he will likely be a head coaching candidate sooner rather than later... and thus we’d still see Martindales name come back up two years down the road as coaching the unit. I’d rather get a long term fix.

34 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Sounds like Austin is pretty much a done deal to Cincy, so that's one potential candidate gone

Which makes sense. They probably wanted to secure their candidate before Tuesday because they know either Green Bay or Baltimore, whichever loses out on Fangio is likely going to want to make a move at that point.

And for Austin Cincy probably makes the most sense as well. He essentially could become the heir apparent for Marvin Lewis there if he does his job well.

Disappointing to lose out on Austin. I wanted him as DC before he left for Detroit. But one of Pagano or Fangio would suit. Or Del Rio, if he's interested. Any other candidates to think about?

Regarding the QB coach who also coaches WRs and Roman as another assistant HC... I do worry that the Ravens are going to struggle to keep roles clearly delineated, and players could end up getting mixed messages. But it's not like the current WR coach has done a great job, and so far Roman has managed to be unobtrusive when it comes to stepping on Mornhinweg's toes.

Given the progress of the offense over the season, the coaching additions and hopefully some player additions, we could actually have reason to be optimistic about that side of the ball next year.

Archived