run D as of late

3rivers

9 hours ago, cjfollett said:

IMO, the way you compensate for a poor run D is to score a lot of points on O. That's what Manning and the Colts did for years.

And thats why he only had one Superbowl with the Colts instead of 4 or 5.     If you cant stop the run, that can keep the offense on the sidelines if the other team can control the clock.

As stated, we have to force Bortles to beat us through the air.   Even if we let him work his way down the field, if we can force them to mainly FGs, I think we have a good chance.    This game needs to have a relatively conservative gameplan IMO.     Heavy serving of running and receiving out of the backfield, and only go deep if they really start to creep up.   Juju is a different player than he was in week 5.  Bryant is playing better too.    We just need to cut out the mistakes and stop Fournette from going off on us.  

6 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

And thats why he only had one Superbowl with the Colts instead of 4 or 5.     If you cant stop the run, that can keep the offense on the sidelines if the other team can control the clock.

As stated, we have to force Bortles to beat us through the air.   Even if we let him work his way down the field, if we can force them to mainly FGs, I think we have a good chance.    This game needs to have a relatively conservative gameplan IMO.     Heavy serving of running and receiving out of the backfield, and only go deep if they really start to creep up.   Juju is a different player than he was in week 5.  Bryant is playing better too.    We just need to cut out the mistakes and stop Fournette from going off on us.  

Nearly everyone on offense is playing better since week 5, so we got that going for us.

Run at Dareus just as we did when he was with the Bills (when Finney played) , remember that game? Once Bell gets to the second level with momentum, it proves to be difficult for defences. 

Don't throw into triple coverage to AB either O.o If AB is more of a decoy, we need to get TD's not FG's and if we have a good lead, the jags will have to rely on bortles and he was inept last week.  Losing the first meeting might have been the best preparation for this game

2 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Any Yinzers know what type of weather we can expect?

Looks like its going to be pretty cold, but decent playing conditions.   No snow or heavy wind expected.

There are a few things that stick out to me as for reasons that our Run D has been mediocre.

S, NT, ILB. Those 3 positions, now when Shazier was there he was excellent but we need someone that truly compliments him should he get back to 100% and rejoin the roster.

We lack a true run stuffing nose tackle. Our DT work has been good enough to improve our pass rush but i think that has more to do with our DEs and LBs.

The secondary in general offers very little run support overall. More so, when we are getting torched by the pass (Mitchell) it makes it more difficult to stop the run.

6 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

There are a few things that stick out to me as for reasons that our Run D has been mediocre.

S, NT, ILB. Those 3 positions, now when Shazier was there he was excellent but we need someone that truly compliments him should he get back to 100% and rejoin the roster.

We lack a true run stuffing nose tackle. Our DT work has been good enough to improve our pass rush but i think that has more to do with our DEs and LBs.

The secondary in general offers very little run support overall. More so, when we are getting torched by the pass (Mitchell) it makes it more difficult to stop the run.

I will say again...People wanted a pass rushing, 1-gap NT that that is what we got.  The downside is a worst run d. 

10 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Any Yinzers know what type of weather we can expect?

18F not much wind but windchill 12F.  Should be decent for the passing game, not too cold or too windy. This is according to the weather network , fwiw.

the pats game though is different, looks like rain, then getting colder  and some wind.  That weather suits the underdog visit more.

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Tunch Broke down the jags game where we got run over, and it was execution . See how this battle goes, but I have seen enough of the run D getting run over. Playing against a qb like bortles, they could load the box but  just play disciplined and we should be much better than last time. 

agree about KNM (mitchell) . I have seen some breakdowns from davis and burns too.

Archived