Official Training Camp Thread: Beta Style

MOSteelers56

[Notable Performers:
Martavis Bryant - Today was officially Bryant’s second practice (not counting yesterday since they were not in pads), and he was dominant, as expected. As reported by @Steel_Curtain4 , Bryant accounted for two touchdowns in one-one-ones against cornerback Ross Cockrell, one of which blew past him. If he wasn’t difficult enough to handle when he was under 211 lbs and unfocused, he is going to be a nightmare for cornerbacks at 6’5, 230 lbs, and with a renewed sense of passion for the game of football

I am going to enjoy this season with the Alien with a chip on his shoulder.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-reportedly-vetoed-steelers-deal-after-agent-had-already-agreed-to-terms/

According to the Post-Gazette, the Steelers and Bell's agent actually agreed to a five year contract but at the last minute Bell nixed the deal. This left the Steelers baffled.

I do like the quote from an earlier interview when Bell said "I"m not a real greedy guy". Nah, of course you aren't.

7 hours ago, 1BackInBlackFan said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-reportedly-vetoed-steelers-deal-after-agent-had-already-agreed-to-terms/

According to the Post-Gazette, the Steelers and Bell's agent actually agreed to a five year contract but at the last minute Bell nixed the deal. This left the Steelers baffled.

I do like the quote from an earlier interview when Bell said "I"m not a real greedy guy". Nah, of course you aren't.

Bell and his agent are refuting this story.

I have a strong feeling Bell wont be a Steeler in 2018.

The Steelers FO doesnt like to play these games.   Im not really knocking Bell for trying to get paid, but if many reports are true, his asking price is a bit absurd.   Perhaps if never got suspended and stayed healthy at key times in the season, he would be, but you cant just ignore those things....especially for a RB.  

18 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I have a strong feeling Bell wont be a Steeler in 2018.

The Steelers FO doesnt like to play these games.   Im not really knocking Bell for trying to get paid, but if many reports are true, his asking price is a bit absurd.   Perhaps if never got suspended and stayed healthy at key times in the season, he would be, but you cant just ignore those things....especially for a RB.  

If he had been healthy, I could see his point.

However with the injury history and if the contract was roughly with what has been rumored to be offfered, it was a fair deal.

If worst comes to worst, and he leaves next year...take his $ and throw it an impact defensive player(ILB/Secondary).

That and plus a draft of say 1st 3 picks being some combo of...

1)FS...2)RB...3)TE

That wouldn't be a bad offseason at all.

Considering his injury and suspension history, he should be so lucky to get an offer that good.  He's already going to get paid 33% higher than any other RB in the league.  Is that not good enough for him?  I'm all for guys getting paid and getting their fair market value, but to ask for more than a generous contract is either greedy or stupid.  

By the way, can anyone explain why the tag is $12M/yr when the top 5 RBs in the league are making roughly $8M/year?

1 hour ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

If he had been healthy, I could see his point.

However with the injury history and if the contract was roughly with what has been rumored to be offfered, it was a fair deal.

If worst comes to worst, and he leaves next year...take his $ and throw it an impact defensive player(ILB/Secondary).

That and plus a draft of say 1st 3 picks being some combo of...

1)FS...2)RB...3)TE

That wouldn't be a bad offseason at all.

Best case scenario aside from resigning him would be to franchise him again and then trade him.    However, the Steelers dont do those kinds of things.    They will either let him walk,  or if they did tag him again, would most definitely keep him.

I just see us letting him walk.   I think they will negotiate early next offseason, but I think there will be tension on both sides that will prevent a deal from getting done.  

Disappointing, but thats how it goes sometimes.    And I agree, if we dont keep him, we should have a bunch of cap space next year that we could possibly throw elsewhere....but it will likely be given to Tuitt and possibly Shazier (although Shazier has to prove he deserves a top contract too.....Im not in favor of giving him huge money for 10 healthy games a year, only 5 of which is he great in).

If they franchise him again it would still be cheaper than what they offered him and he turned down ($27M vs $30M guaranteed).  I think they should tag him with the non-exclusive tag and let others try to negotiate with him.  Then let him walk in 2019 or get a 1st and 3rd if someone else signs him.

12 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Best case scenario aside from resigning him would be to franchise him again and then trade him.    However, the Steelers dont do those kinds of things.    They will either let him walk,  or if they did tag him again, would most definitely keep him.

I just see us letting him walk.   I think they will negotiate early next offseason, but I think there will be tension on both sides that will prevent a deal from getting done.  

Disappointing, but thats how it goes sometimes.    And I agree, if we dont keep him, we should have a bunch of cap space next year that we could possibly throw elsewhere....but it will likely be given to Tuitt and possibly Shazier (although Shazier has to prove he deserves a top contract too.....Im not in favor of giving him huge money for 10 healthy games a year, only 5 of which is he great in).

I think the need for Bell is mostly contingent upon Ben's timeline.  They need to keep him for at least two more years while we are still prime contenders for a championship.  After that, I'm ok with losing him because what he is asking for is close to double what the highest paid RB is receiving.  

they'd be smart to franchise him again next year and then see where it goes.  

On 8/19/2017 at 1:01 AM, JLambert58 said:

Considering his injury and suspension history, he should be so lucky to get an offer that good.  He's already going to get paid 33% higher than any other RB in the league.  Is that not good enough for him?  I'm all for guys getting paid and getting their fair market value, but to ask for more than a generous contract is either greedy or stupid.  

By the way, can anyone explain why the tag is $12M/yr when the top 5 RBs in the league are making roughly $8M/year?

Great question. I believe it is because of Adrian Peterson's old deal was on the books last year.  I don't understand Le Veon not signing the deal, when the Franchise Tag money will be even less next year.  As you stated Lambert most of these deals will be in the $8 million range and he will have the lone RB at $12 million. However, the franchise tag is the average of the top five salaries, so with $12.1 being the top, the majority in $8 million range, then bottom will be falling for the Franchise Tag to the tune of $9.5 -$10.5 million range, I would guesstimate.

1 hour ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Great question. I believe it is because of Adrian Peterson's old deal was on the books last year.  I don't understand Le Veon not signing the deal, when the Franchise Tag money will be even less next year.  As you stated Lambert most of these deals will be in the $8 million range and he will have the lone RB at $12 million. However, the franchise tag is the average of the top five salaries, so with $12.1 being the top, the majority in $8 million range, then bottom will be falling for the Franchise Tag to the tune of $9.5 -$10.5 million range, I would guesstimate.

I believe the tag is for the average over the past 5 years or something.

Archived