Official Training Camp Thread: Beta Style

MOSteelers56

14 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/895423968819253248 

Looks like Bryant is finally back.

I heard them talking about this on the radio. Still crazy to me that it took this long to reinstate him and it is resulting in him missing a preseason game.

The other worrying thing that I heard was that he still has to be reinstated for the regular season. How many hoops does this guy have to jump through?

3 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

I heard them talking about this on the radio. Still crazy to me that it took this long to reinstate him and it is resulting in him missing a preseason game.

The other worrying thing that I heard was that he still has to be reinstated for the regular season. How many hoops does this guy have to jump through?

Why would a process like this let this happen? Was it not a clearly defined suspension sentence? If so I would think he should have a clearly defined reinstatement date which should have been the first day of the 2017 NFL preseason, or whenever the first voluntary mini camps opened up. Has he already missed all of training camp up until reinstatement?

29 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Why would a process like this let this happen? Was it not a clearly defined suspension sentence? If so I would think he should have a clearly defined reinstatement date which should have been the first day of the 2017 NFL preseason, or whenever the first voluntary mini camps opened up. Has he already missed all of training camp up until reinstatement?

He was not able to practice with the team until he was reinstated as far as I know. The reinstatement schedule should have been set to have him return when the rookies report to camp. Instead they have drawn this out and he still has to be reinstated for the regular season. This is really just an absurd situation.

1 hour ago, skywlker32 said:

He was not able to practice with the team until he was reinstated as far as I know. The reinstatement schedule should have been set to have him return when the rookies report to camp. Instead they have drawn this out and he still has to be reinstated for the regular season. This is really just an absurd situation.

I google'd it to find out and according to http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/09/nfl-finally-reinstates-martavis-bryant-for-training-camp-preseason/ and http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000827603/article/martavis-bryant-cleared-to-practice-play-in-preseason he was semi-reinstated earlier in April but it's still unclear to me exactly what he was and wasn't allowed to participate in.

IMO a league level suspension such as this, especially for his type of infraction, should not bar a player from practicing with or meeting with teammates and coaching staff. They should just be suspended from games for the defined period. I wonder if it has something to do with suspension of pay (do suspended players lose all non guaranteed money for being suspended?) but either way it needs to be worked out. Regardless of your stance on a drug infraction like this, staying away from teammates and coaches is NOT going to be a good way for a player to handle and overcome it.

Gave this the ol' Sticky... errrr... "Pin". 

I can't understand how Bryant still isn't regular season eligible. Talk about a slap in the face. The guy works this hard to come back, just to continue to get punished. If they weren't going to immediately allow him to come back in full stride; why even let him come back? Guess they're just going to keep mentally demoralizing the guy for smoking pot; when they've welcomed back much worse in this league with less hassle.

I keep reading reports that they are looking to make a trade with the Rams for Trumaine Johnson. He's a solid CB but I wonder how they'd make it work. Not that I'd mind the move but it's a pretty crowded group. Maybe Golson is done? Maybe Gay is cut? Maybe Allen is headed for the PS? Seems like one or more of these would have to be true to make it happen. The Steelers certainly have the WR depth to make the move assuming that's what the Rams are after.

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

I keep reading reports that they are looking to make a trade with the Rams for Trumaine Johnson. He's a solid CB but I wonder how they'd make it work. Not that I'd mind the move but it's a pretty crowded group. Maybe Golson is done? Maybe Gay is cut? Maybe Allen is headed for the PS? Seems like one or more of these would have to be true to make it happen. The Steelers certainly have the WR depth to make the move assuming that's what the Rams are after.

Maybe send out Ross Cockrell or William Gay?

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

What??? Where did you read this?

Johnson is quite the underrated DB. He'd definitely be a nice upgrade. 

(EDIT)

I see it now. He was Franchise Tagged. Can the Steelers afford 14 million??

44 minutes ago, steelcurtain29 said:

What??? Where did you read this?

Johnson is quite the underrated DB. He'd definitely be a nice upgrade. 

(EDIT)

I see it now. He was Franchise Tagged. Can the Steelers afford 14 million??

It push them right to the limit IIRC...have to cut somebody like a Gay or Moats to shave a few mill for in season emergencies...that ot a restructure.

But  it's not going to happen anyways.

2 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

It push them right to the limit IIRC...have to cut somebody like a Gay or Moats to shave a few mill for in season emergencies...that ot a restructure.

But  it's not going to happen anyways.

They won't trade him now that they shipped EJ Gaines to Buffalo.

Archived