Aaron Rodgers or Brett Favre?

SkolMasterMN

13 hours ago, SSG said:

Different QBs, both equally great in my eyes.  I think AR12 is probably the better QB but I'm not sure I'd take him over #4.  12 takes very little risks and because of that often leaves things on the table.  There was never a throw Brett was scared to make.  That helped and often hurt the Packers.  I think Brett was  ahead of his time as a NFL QB and played in a substantially tougher NFL. 

Have to agree with this, I've thought this numerous times. No doubt in my mind Rodgers sometimes plays too safe, the dude could put up so many more points if he was a little more aggressive. The ceiling for Rodgers is higher, the guy has unlimited amounts of talent, but like you said, he leaves things on the table with his inability to take risks, which you need to do sometimes as an NFL QB. There will never quite be someone like Brett Favre, his toughness, his confidence, and his passion for the game. Those are three categories that I believe #4 will always be at the top of. 

I dont think it is  "not even close" as some people say. Favre's worst years were definitely worse than Aarons and that's not even close but their prime years are close if you factor in what Favre faced defensively compared to Rodgers. In Favre's time a 4000 yard season was an incredible feat and now 8 guys had 1 this year.

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I dont think it is  "not even close" as some people say. Favre's worst years were definitely worse than Aarons and that's not even close but their prime years are close if you factor in what Favre faced defensively compared to Rodgers. In Favre's time a 4000 yard season was an incredible feat and now 8 guys had 1 this year.

Gotta agree.  There is no easier time to be a QB than today.  There was something like 25 4000 yard passing seasons in NFL history before Favre, 17 of those coming from HOF QBs (was compiled at a quick glance so may be slightly off).   I believe #4 was third in NFL history in 4000 yard seasons when he left GB?  4000 yard passing is something just your run of the mill QB can accomplish now while John Elway, Joe Montana and Troy Aikman have just one 4000 yard passing season between the 3 of them. 

5 minutes ago, SSG said:

Gotta agree.  There is no easier time to be a QB than today.  There was something like 25 4000 yard passing seasons in NFL history before Favre, 17 of those coming from HOF QBs (was compiled at a quick glance so may be slightly off).   I believe #4 was third in NFL history in 4000 yard seasons when he left GB?  4000 yard passing is something just your run of the mill QB can accomplish now while John Elway, Joe Montana and Troy Aikman have just one 4000 yard passing season between the 3 of them. 

Same thing goes for 1000 yards rushing. Everyone makes a big deal of it but is it really? Yes its a great round number but if a guy runs 16 times for 63 yards every game is that really impressive? 4 ypc is fine but they blow up 1000 yards rushing nowadays like it means something special. It was a bigger deal when seasons were 14 games

Rodgers and Favre are both all time great QB’s that were completely different at what they did. Favre was the kid gunslinger that had everyone on there feet when he was on the field because you just didn’t know what he’d pull out of his hat. Rodgers is the consistent, mistake free QB that can do anything you could ever want a QB to do. He’s the prototype. 

Ill echo what other have said, Rodgers is the better QB and it’s not even close for me personally. That said, something about Favre will always be looked back on as so much fun to watch and see what he was going to do. As a Packer fan that has gotten to see the majority of both of their careers, one of which is over yet, I feel very blessed. 

I gotta go with Rodgers. Not in a "not even close" type of way but more like "a decent amount ahead" mainly due to the ability to pick up big yards on the run and less turnovers.

I do think a decent portion of Favre's years were in an NFL that wasn't as passing friendly with the pass interference calls and the teeing off on the quarterback but he still had too many turnovers that broke a lot of backs.

One thing I will say for both....they both deserve more than 1 SB apiece and that's for sure. Just as long as Rodgers wins #2 with another team....

It's pretty close for me if you look at Favre's prime being the mid 90s. He wasn't nearly as turnover prone as he was in later years, and he was just an incredible thrower of the football. The same thing that Rodgers can do, especially when his back is against the wall, is the same kind of thing Favre could do in the mid-90s, except Favre was doing it a lot more often. Just pulling **** out of his ***. He was incredible to watch.

I'd probably still take Rodgers, but it's closer than recency bias might indicate.

• 4 weeks later...

Favre and it isn't close.

1st off we're looking at careers and Rodgers isn't touching any raw numbers. His 40 TD seasons are product of era so not as impressive.

Then with playoff achievement he's made 1 Super Bowl and 2 Conference Championships. Favre has 5 Conference Finals.

Rodgers has to win 2 more Titles before I consider it.

Archived